Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2006 ml350 auto dimming mirror upgrade

3K views 25 replies 6 participants last post by  james.calton1 
#1 ·
hi, i am new here but i always refer to this forum for advice although this is the first time i have needed to start a thread in regards to info i cannot find.

i have a 2006 ml350 that i purchased a auto dimming mirror for from eBay and went to put in and the original mirror has a 2 pin harness that plugs to a box located on the window. well the new mirror does not have this 2 pin harness but does have a 6 pin harness, this is where i am stuck. the 2nd harness plugs right in to the overhead console so lights work. any info on this would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
If your car did not have this option from the factory it may not be included in the factory wiring harness. I have seen some vehicles over the years that have harnesses that include additional parts for upgrade options, but all vehicles are not like this. Hopefully you can use your mirror.

#3 · (Edited)
the original mirror has a 2 pin harness that plugs to a box located on the window.
That is your light/rain sensor.

well the new mirror does not have this 2 pin harness but does have a 6 pin harness, this is where i am stuck. the 2nd harness plugs right in to the overhead console so lights work.
You will still use the existing 2-pin connector to the sensor. Often times the mirror power connector is doubled back, tucked in and taped to headliner. I don't know about the 164 (mine already had the mirror) but when I added a auto dimming mirror to my 163 I had to feel around for a bit until I found it, and then free it from its location.

I would bet $20 its there.

#5 ·
harness

That is your light/rain sensor.

You will still use the existing 2-pin connector to the sensor. Often times the mirror power connector is doubled back, tucked in and taped to headliner. I don't know about the 164 (mine already had the mirror) but when I added a auto dimming mirror to my 163 I had to feel around for a bit until I found it, and then free it from its location.

I would bet $20 its there.
this bump n stuff i had to create a new account as i sent 3 or 4 password reset requests and no reply i could not log back in and becasue i used facebook to set it up i did not get a password.
that being said,

yes there is the 2 pin and i found the harness to plug in the sensor so all is good except for this 6 pin harness i am assuming is the dimming feature which in turn would also feed the side view mirrors if they were present, so i pulled the passenger side headliner down and found nothing although there is a 6 pin harness with different ears going to the mic only 2 of those wires are being utilized so i am assuming the wires i need might be in there i will upload some pics.

#7 ·
What is the part number of the mirror you bought?

(PS: Don't forget to fill out the profile on the new account. If you want the old one unlocked, you could PM an admin to help.)

#8 ·
part number

Got the password figured out and irony is my bei gei account stopped taking the password i was using hahaha.
1648102117 is the part number i got. i dug around and could not find another harness. Maybe if i had the pinout out i could do something with that I do know there is 2 sensors that work together but i dont know if its externally controlled or something i can just feed some power to and be done as everything else works great. I do appreciate the answers though. And hopefully this helps someone else when they run to the same problem.

#16 ·
Yes. It should still work fine for your purposes. That mirror has some extra functionality for Linguatronic, but since you don't have it, it shouldn't matter.

#23 ·
If he doesnt have an MB Star/Xentry system and subscription to the MB Mothership, he wont be able to do SCN coding. Although you may be able to do it in Vediamo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.