Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2006 ML500?

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  BenzEagle 
#1 ·
I heard the first two years of the 164 were unreliable, and the engine even had timing chain issues.

That said, I just came across a 2006 ML500 that has a complete carfax history - and doesn't show excessive repairs at all.

Dealer serviced until 2013, then a private owner and no records.

What would you recommend.

Is the 2006 ML500 expensive to maintain and risk to buy? (I would do a prepurchase inspection by my excellent mechanic)

Also, how would maintenance cost compare to maintaining a 2003 E class (my previous car, and really without much repairs during the 3 1/2 years I had it)

I read in the "buying tips" sticky, that 2008 and later is better - but it's also almost twice as expensive to buy such a car.

What's your experience on this?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I jsut read the buying tips for this SUV and suppostly the ML500 were out of that balance shaft problems

however I would tripple check the codes.

I recently purchased the ML350 without checking the codes... my bad I even own a reader... will never happen again

and car had 14 codes, that did not light up the check engine light

beside, the faul gauge acting up, working, going all the way to full, then back to empty in the middle of the freeway.
AC heater not working, previous owner fixed hatch lock, Navigation DVD almost never get read, even tough is a good original DVD.

soo, try to look at it more detailed and see how much you will spend fixing it, or how long you want to keep it

#3 ·
Sorry to hear you had this bad experience. Not all the balance shaft problem affected engines actually do blow up.

I will do a pre-purchase inspection by my mechanic - I recommend you do the same next time.

In regards to faulty engines - I would have to do that myself. And there's a timing chain issue on the ML500 I still have to research.

But what I'd like to know is the maintenance cost.

The S class, for example, is a money pit. Also the E500 is much more expensive to maintain than an E320.

From what I have heard so far the ML500 really just has the bigger engine and a few extras, but not added sophistication *which causes repairs. And I wouldn't take one with an Airmatic. Airmatic is great, but expensive to maintain.

#9 · (Edited)
I test drove the car today.

What I like:

It runs well. I like the way it drives. Excellent seats. Good brakes.

It's been sitting on the market for three months now, though.

Love the strong engine. There is really some oomph! there

Gapless Carfax until about 2 1/2 years ago.

Good sound system

Quite clean

What I don't like:

dents on the engine hood, and three impact holes as if someone had taken a hammer to the car (like a lunatic's attack)

Rear door power lift total failure. It's difficult to get the rear door to open.

19" wheels - I feel low profile tires are not a good idea if you want to take the car on dirt roads in wildernesses and national parks. I think it's better to have the original 17" wheels.

Running boards (would take them off as they ruin ground clearance)

no rear view camera (the parking sensors are OK, but I'd definitely want to upgrade the car with a camera if it can be done without changing the whole radio)

missing maintenance records for the past 2 1/2 years (owner number 3)

I still have a 2005 ML 350 and a 2002 ML2002 and a 2004 ML500 to test drive

And I'd need the engine number to check if this engine was affected by the idler gear problems.

#10 ·
We've had our 2006 ML 500 for 5 or 6 years. The engine has been great and very quiet from the inside.

Drawbacks:
Low towing capacity for a V8. Its almost laughable
Expensive maintenance
Battery location. Under the passenger seat. THAT's fun to replace.. In the Dark. In a Parking lot.

Actual problems:
The dreaded Air suspension. Expensive to fix. $1,000 per front air spring to fix (dealer price), and it was close to $700 for a replacement compressor. (again dealer price. home gamer could replace it) Rears are cheaper and doable for a home gamer.
Power steering reservoir. Nearly guaranteed to fail. (its actually a connecting O-ring that causes the problem, but it leaks either way.) easy for home gamer to fix. It may have already been fixed on the one you're looking at.

Other than the above, I have to grudgingly say (I'm an Audi guy) its been a very reliable vehicle.

#13 ·
Thank you, Noodles, this one doesn't have airmatic.

Just the fact that it had been a target of a crazy guy, denting in the hood and creating four deep impacts like from bullets into the rear left and right is a bit a downer like the broken tailgate function. It has been sitting on the market since before Thanksgiving....

Generally - it drives fantastic. Just not sure how it will do on a bad dirt road... with those giant 19" wheels...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.