Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Turn Signal - Substitute Bulb On

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  43sqd 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. New to this forum, but not new to Mercedes. I am working with a friend on their new to them ML500. I have gone through the vehicle and checked for things based on all of the valuable information i found here. But I am at a loss regarding an issue with the rear turn signals and am hoping that I just need some basic clarification from the collective intelligence here. I an getting a constant error message from the left rear turn signal - "substitute bulb on". The relay flashes faster than normal, but the bulb is still blinking, however the bulb will not blink with the flashers on. So my question is simple - will the brake light repair kit - 164-826-00-07 - fix this issue. I have done searches under the turn signal issue, but all results point to the brake light issue.

Thanks in advance for any and all help from the forum.

#3 · (Edited)
The way the W164 bulb lighting works is once a bulb (i.e. Turn Signal) is faulty it will switch to the substitute bulb.

In your case, rapid blinking means that a filament in one of the bulbs (front or back) is causing a short in the bulb. Buy two Sylvania 7507LL (Long Life) bulbs and install.

The 164 826 00 07 repair kit is only for Brake/Tail light problem.

https://www.osram-americas.com/en-u...lbs.aspx?year=2006&qual=49&model=2638&make=73

#4 ·
Thanks for the clarification on the brake light bulb repair kit. So I have changed the bub to a new one - not a long life bulb, but a 7507 - and the issue persists. It is also important to note that I did the bulb change just before dark and I could clearly see arcing from the bulb socket to the housing. The bulb socket is properly seated and "clicked" into place. In this case I am assuming there is a connectivity issue between the bulb socket and the tail light housing so I am going to try and adjust the tension on the metal connectors in the bulb housing, shim the bulb socket if necessary as well as clean all of the metal contacts in the bulb socket. Any other course of action you would recommend?

As information, this is on a 2006 ML 500.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.