Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What Are You Using To Clean Your Running Boards?

7K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  eaglehawaii 
#1 ·
Any recommendations? I've tried using various different cleaners but none really have worked all that well. Last weekend I tried some kind of citrus cleaner which worked pretty well but I'm still not satisfied with the overall end result. I've even been thinking of using Tarnix to get some of the shine back. What are you using?

#5 ·
Funny you should ask, I just picked up a 2011 ML550 and the car is in great condition, but the one thing that stood out to me as looking funky was he running boards.

I searched on the web and came across a YouTube video with a guy using a product called Barkeepers Friend and a nylon scrub brush. Barkeepers has Boric Acid and a mild abrasive designed for stainless steel.

I got the solution and brush at ACE Hardware - cheap, prolly $10 for the polish and brush. At any rate ... it works ! A little elbow grease and about 20 minutes total and my running boards look like new.

Inexpensive and satisfying job.

#6 · (Edited)
Aloha,

Below is what I've done with my GLE. It works really well and is not difficult at all. You just need a little time and patience.

Tools:
  • Meguiar's Hot Wheels Aluminum Wheel Cleaner
  • 600 grit sandpaper
  • 1/2 inch wide cut piece of a used gift card (see attached photo)
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Cotton or microfiber towels

REMOVING THE GRIME AROUND THE RUBBER NIBS
1. Make sure you put on the gloves.
2 Cut approximately a 2" x 2" piece of sandpaper.
3. Wrap it around the gift card cut piece.
4. Wet the sandpaper with the wheel cleaner.
5. With the edge of the card/sandpaper, move it back and forth to loosen and remove the gunk around the rubber nibs. The firmness of the gift card behind the sandpaper allows for enough pressure to be applied on the grimy surface. The card's flexibility also helps in bending it to the shape and contour around the rubber nib.
6. Wipe off the dislodged gunk.
7. Repeat for each nib on the runningboard.

CLEANING THE ALUMINUM SURFACE
1. Once all the nibs have been cleaned, it's time to clean the aluminum surface.
2 Cut approximately a 2" x 2" piece of sandpaper.
3. Wet the sandpaper with the wheel cleaner.
4. Start rubbing the stains and grime from the aluminum. This step also gets rid of any scratches that you may create in cleaning around the rubber nibs. Recommend rubbing in one direction only (front to back) to give it a uniform .... almost a brushed aluminum appearance.
5. Wipe down clean with a damp towel.
6. Wipe dry with a dry towel.

That's it.

See before and after photos below.

Just additional info: With 600 grit or finer grit sandpaper and with care, one could avoid heavy scratches. Just need to apply enough pressure to slowly remove the gunk and a lot of patience to continue doing it until it is all gone.

Afterwards, I applied sealer on the runningboard to help protect it from the elements.

I've tried other methods with cleaners, polishes, brushes, etc. I've read on the web but for the grime I had to remove, the method I used above worked really well.

YMMV.

I just need to keep on top of it now that I've cleaned it and not let it get that bad again. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.