Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2011 ML550 bluetooth audio streaming?

17K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  alpac 
#1 ·
I just got my new to me 2011 ML550 that comes with premium packages 1 and 2 and I am trying to figure out if the Bluetooth enables audio streaming or if it only enables phone connection? It would be a bit surprising that a 2011 Mercedes luxury model would not come with this option but I have found nothing about Bluetooth audio streaming in the user manual. If it does not what best solution do you folks recommend for adding Bluetooth audio streaming capabilities?
By the way I really love the car so far but the radio/navigation system is really not user friendly to say the least compared to my Acura MDX.

#2 ·
Congrats on the new purchase. Audio streaming was not made available until MY13 vehicles. There is a way you can get to engineering mode on your command unit and switch it to audio streaming or hands free. That is why I upgraded to one of the AVIN units. Even though the technology was there when your vehicle came off the line Mercedes didn't have both available until later. Its kind of a pain, but I do enjoy having both available now with my upgraded unit.

#3 · (Edited)
Did you do the upgrade yourself? If yes is it more or less plug and play? I mean you unplug the stock unit and just plug the AVIN unit back with some kind of adapter? Did you keep the steering wheel control buttons? How about the reverse camera?
Sorry for all the questions
Thanks

#4 ·
OK so I did do the upgrade myself with the help of my independent. It is pretty much plug and play except if you have the Harmon Kardon audio there is an adaptor for that. Otherwise it looks just like a command unit, just with two SD card drives on top instead of one. The camera was a little tricky at first, but after you get the wires routed it will look and operate just like a factory camera. You will need a relay to wire the camera to. The relay will provide a constant 12V to the camera to keep if from flickering in reverse. As far as the navigation it does seem better than the normal command navigation because with google maps it updates in real time. I added in car wifi as well so I didn't have to use maps that I purchased on the SD card that were out of date. The steering wheel controls still work the same. Tommy with AVIN was very helpful during the process. It is a bit easier to reach him via email rather than on the phone so basically we emailed with him through the whole process to make sure any kinks were worked out. I would be happy to recommend the AVIN unit to any forum member. They also have adapters so you keep your factory Bluetooth microphone, gps antenna, and am/fm antenna. There also used to be a benz world discount code, but you will have to ask Tommy about that. I hope this help.

www.avinusa.com

#7 ·
They also have adapters so you keep your factory Bluetooth microphone, gps antenna, and am/fm antenna.
James: Where exactly did you find the am/fm antenna to connect to? Mine does not go into the head unit. I have located the amp under the rear seat but I can't figure out which -- if any -- of the Fakra connectors there is for the radio. Or if it is somewhere else. (I do have the Harmon Kardon/Becker system, so I bought a MOST adapter, but the whole installation is being held up because I can't find the darned antenna connection!)

#6 ·
That's why I did end up getting the AVIN unit. The engineering mode fiasco always ended up hitting a dead end. Everything I found said you could only have the dealer load command into engineering mode, but both dealers that I tried claimed they didn't know anything about it. Keep checking the AVIN site because they do have sporadic sales and deals. Currently the have the 164 unit priced at 799.99. I paid 599.99 a few months ago. There are some pretty good DIY posts on this as well.

#10 ·
Yes I had the Ipod kit installed and did have the aux jack in the glove box that was disconnected. The AVIN IPod cables are now in my glove box in the same location where the OEM IPod kit cables were installed. I prefer the Bluetooth because it was my way of streaming Sirius XM without having the option installed in my car (also available as an expensive kit from Mid City Engineering). I prefer the Bluetooth streaming capability that the AVIN unit has. Shoot any other questions my way. I would be glad to help anyway that I can.

#13 ·
Hi

The radio connector is hidden inside some black foam. I have circled its location in the photo below.
That doesn't seem to be the radio antenna. It connects to just two pins in a DIN connector that, when removed, makes no difference to the radio sound quality. It is the item marked "A" in this picture of the rear of my Comand unit.

Attachments

#15 ·
James: Thanks for your help here! I have attached another picture, this time of the stuff under the rear seat. The box with the "Continental" label is the TeleAid electronics. If I disconnect the blue Fakra cable that goes into its top right corner, I just get a "TeleAid inactive" message on the dash. The unit to the right of that with the "Mercedes Benz" label on it is, I believe, the control unit for the seat heating. On the left you can see the bottom corner of what I assume is the amp lurking under the metal cover. You can see the two fiber optic cables connected to it. In the center foreground is what may be what I am looking for: the radio antenna. There are two cables that connect through a splitter into one -- or possibly it is the other way round: one cable that splits into two. I haven't had a chance yet to play with disconnecting these to see if they affect radio reception.

I have PMd you with my email address.

Attachments

#17 ·
#21 ·
That did not affect the bluetooth phone connection. I can still make/receive calls while listeting to the music. It is the perfect solution for me. The only thing is that since you listen to the music via the 'AUX' option the song title and music info is not displayed on the radio screen but that is ok since it displays on the phone anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.