Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Adding illuminated star to W164

33K views 76 replies 11 participants last post by  james.calton1 
#1 ·
Hey Gang. I am going to add the illuminated star to my vehicle. I have done research and looked as some other forums and I know that it will fit as the diameter of the star is the same on the vehicle grills. My question is about the wiring. On the 166 and X166 vehicles the connector is already built into the harness so its pretty much plug and play. On some of the X164's that I have seen it done on they ran the wire to the LED daytime running lights so there was no flickering problem. Since I have a MY2010 and don't have LED running lights I will need to wire it with an inline resistor. Has anyone in the group done this to their ML.:grin

#5 ·
Yeah there is pretty much nothing out there at all. I found some info on another forum from a few people that did this to their X164. The stars are all the same, but depending on what kit you get for what car the harness will be different. I can't wait to get this going.

#7 ·
If you had the light package the DRL's were on the LED Fogs.

If you had the standard Halogen oval fogs then the headlights were the DRL's.

Just tap it to the parking lights wires. This way it turns on at night when you need it on. Don't need it on during the day. Plus you'll hardly see it.

#10 ·
The stars are the same size. The only difference in the part numbers is the length of the cable. I am working on a presentation on how my independent wired mine into the lights so when they are on it is on. The installation is fairly simple and it doesn't take but about an hour or so to get it wired up.

#12 ·
Be sure to also let us know who/where you got the Star and it's quality! There are hundreds for sale on eBay and I am sure some are much better than others.

#25 ·
I did this Mod and it isn't easy.

The Star Housing will not fit into the Grill, so you'll have to use your Dremel Tool to remove all kinds of Tabs.
This is a one way Ticket:

either keep your Original Settings, or go all the way, modding it until it fits.
There is no way back because your original Star will not fit anymore.

I complained to the Seller (China) that it did not fit, he told me that he'll refund me half the money and I keep the Star.

So I used a dremel tool, and made it fit.
Then, using Epoxy Glue (2 composite) glued it in.
Looks perfect.
Tied the Wire into my DRL, and works like a Champ.
I ended up only spending $30 for the Star, but spent some 3-4 hours to make it fit perfectly.

Be warned.

#26 ·
I did this Mod and it isn't easy.

The Star Housing will not fit into the Grill, so you'll have to use your Dremel Tool to remove all kinds of Tabs.

This is a one way Ticket:

either keep your Original Settings, or go all the way, modding it until it fits.

There is no way back because your original Star will not fit anymore.

I complained to the Seller (China) that it did not fit, he told me that he'll refund me half the money and I keep the Star.

So I used a dremel tool, and made it fit.

Then, using Epoxy Glue (2 composite) glued it in.

Looks perfect.

Tied the Wire into my DRL, and works like a Champ.

I ended up only spending $30 for the Star, but spent some 3-4 hours to make it fit perfectly.

Be warned.

I'm trying to remember what type of resistor we used to keep the LED from flashing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2009 ML63 and have purchased one star from eBay, link is below:

Front Grille Grill Star Emblem for Mercedes Benz 2006-2013 Illuminated LED Light | eBay

I have the original grill as my grill as the MB part numbers well printed in the back of it. However, the star mounting would require extensive modifications as Deja-Vue indicated. I could have used my Dremel and make it fit but held off on this until I could here from others. So I am glad to read this thread.

I tried to contact the seller because he listed compatibility on his posting with the 2009 ML63. NOT TRUE... Be aware...

As for the wiring I was going to wire it to the parking lights such that it would light only at night. I am a computer engineer and have experience in that field.

So I am eager to here how james.calton1 is progressing. I can also post pics of the star that I purchased.

Cheers all,

#31 ·
Hi All,

I have a 2009 ML63 and have purchased one star from eBay, link is below:

Front Grille Grill Star Emblem for Mercedes Benz 2006-2013 Illuminated LED Light | eBay

I have the original grill as my grill as the MB part numbers well printed in the back of it. However, the star mounting would require extensive modifications as Deja-Vue indicated. I could have used my Dremel and make it fit but held off on this until I could here from others. So I am glad to read this thread.

I tried to contact the seller because he listed compatibility on his posting with the 2009 ML63. NOT TRUE... Be aware...

As for the wiring I was going to wire it to the parking lights such that it would light only at night. I am a computer engineer and have experience in that field.

So I am eager to here how james.calton1 is progressing. I can also post pics of the star that I purchased.

Cheers all,

Glad you posted that you are interested on this. I am working on finishing my PowerPoint and will the post. What I ended up doing is buying the mercedes star and the wiring harness. We tapped into the parking lights and just chopped some length on the factory harness to make it work. If you want the whole kit will work in the 164, but you will need to research where the fuse mounts inside the rear fuse box. Factory emblems can be had on eBay for 150 if your lucky and I bought the factory harness on eBay as well for 40.00. If you to the factory install it requires quite a bit of trim removal that's why my independent opted to just trim down the factory harness. Some of the Chinese stars that I have seen are absolute junk and some of them look better than the mercedes part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#35 ·
Hi Ouzo,

Here are pictures of the star I purchased. The quality is good and I honked it to 12V to try it and it works great. I will try it on my wife's GLK 220 cdi as it appears to be compatible with the X204.

For now I can say that in order to fit it into the W164, ML63, I will need to dremel and custom fit it. I took my star out and it had snap in plastic clamps all around. I carefully removed it but when I saw that the illuminated one was not identical, I closed shop and will wait when I have more time to play with it. Or I will look for one that is compatible.

I will await what you all have experienced as well...

Attachments

#40 ·
Guys I did it. and it looks MAGNIFICENT. Even my wife who doesn't care about cars and mods I do said WOW.

But let me tell you. There is no such thing as a direct fit W164 LED star. Its a UNICORN. I'll post pics soon.

#41 · (Edited)
So here is my write up. I apologise for not having more pics of the process but my sons kept taking my phone. 4 boys & 3 iPads. So my phone is the backup when all want to play or work on them at the same time.

There is no such thing as a direct fit W164 LED. I have never seen one and ebay sellers aren't accurate. Its a UNICORN.

The job was a PAIN IN THE A$%. But the end result makes it worth it.

Part 1

This step Part 1 does not apply to you guys. Unless you want to that is.

I not only did the LED star. I also eliminated the parking peanut parking lights in the front. I hated those lights in the headlight. The stock halogens looked terrible and to yellow compared to my HID's and LED fog lights. I tried LED bulbs but I could find a colour temperature to match the HID's and LED fog lights. They were always off a shade/tone and the LEDS always flickered. They just pissed me off.

You cant just remove them cause you'll always get a message on the dash display. I guess you can if the message doesn't bother you at start up every time.

So I remembered I had sitting a pair of those resistor boxes that come with the ebay LED fog lights. Those resistors trick the system into thinking the stock halogen fogs are running. Now for those of you that want to do this mod I would suspect 50 ohm 50W resistor might work. But don't take my word for it.

WHAT A PITA it was to pull out those two parking light bulbs. Driver side is much more harder than passenger side. You don't have to do this if your not eliminating them. But I was and they had to go. You can only get them out with very long needle nose pliers. Turn counter clockwise to release them. Also unbolt your headlight from the top for some wiggle and leverage. There are two bolts.

Once I got them out my goal was to wire everything and test it before I proceeded with physically attaching the LED star to the grill. So I connected on both sides the positive and negative from the Resistor Box to the parking light wiring. 2 wire black/red to two wires black/red on the parking light harness and pulled out the bulbs from the parking light base.

Start it up and turned on the lights. BINGO. No warnings on the dash. Elimination of the parking lights was a success.

Part 2

Now to get the LED Star wired. I purchased an ebay $36 star and the seller insisted it fit on the W164. They were wrong and I was determined to get the job done. I tested it on a 12v battery so I know it worked. Just like I connected the two resistor boxes above I connected the LED Star to the passenger side parking light harness. Just cut some of the harnesses external wrapping to expose the two wires and tap into them using electrical connectors. after that wrap with shrink wrap or electrical tape. Light worked.

Two things to note. LED lights are polar. So if the light doesn't work try switching the wire connections. In my case the colours of the wires were incorrect. No biggy. Also the LED Star kit comes with a short harness from the star and a longer harness that plugs into the shorter harness. Unplugging the two were impossible and I ended up ripping the wires accidentally out of the plugs. So I spliced them together to make one longer harness and cut the end near the connection to the parking light harness as needed so I wont have to much wire hanging in the engine bay.

Part 3

MOUNTING THE LED STAR

This task was not easy. Because there is no such thing as a W164 LED star, (One that I know of) once you go down this route there is no turning back. It requires dremeling your stock grill. If you do this you cant remove the LED star to put back on the factory star.

Removal of the grill and the stock star was a PITA. The grill has 4 pull up pins. Two in the middle on the top and two on each side slightly lower sitting near the middle bar. Use a screw driver to pull up the pins. Be careful cause those things will pop out and fall from your hands and have fun finding them once they fall down into the bumper.

Then there are 6 tabs. 4 at the bottom and one on each side. With your fingers lift the centre portion of the tabs and push outwards. You'll have to start on one side send push gently till all 6 tabs are released. Then pull of your grill.

Removing the stock star. OH MY GOD. Could they make this any more harder to do? Your going to need 3-4 knives or small screw drivers to do this. The chrome star has 6 tabs. First you have to get the chrome star off. Wedge the screw drivers or knives into each tab to pry the tabs. Then pull off the chrome trim of the star.

Removing the black base. Similar to the chrome trim this has 6 tabs. Do the same with the screw drivers or knives.

Mounting the LED star. No dice. Its not plug and play. The mounting locations on the grill wont let it sit flush. Its the same diameter. But different mounting configuration.

This is where I went to the grill with the dremel. All the mounting tabs on the grill have to be shaved off. I did this with precision. I just dremeled enough to the point where the LED Star would wedge in perfectly and really didn't need anything else done to hold it in place. But to play it safe I used quick set cement on the inside boarder of the hole for reassurance.

The fitment on the outside was perfect.

Do the reverse for reinstallation of the grill and enjoy your sexy beast.

Attachments

#42 ·
Some night pics. The pics don't do it justice. This is a good quality star. The pics are deceiving. But the HID's LED Fogs and LED Star match. Peanut Parking Lights Removed.

Attachments

#47 ·
Just wondering something about going back to stock condition..

You say you removed the mounting tabs with a dremel, but then basically 'glued' the new star in.

So the new old star won't go back in, only because the retaining tabs are gone?

Wondering if I installed this then some day wanted to reverse it, could I just glue the OEM star back in (the way you did with your illuminated star)? Or is there something else preventing doing this.

BTW when I refer to OEM star, I'm talking about the black mesh piece which includes the chrome star (not just the chrome star itself of course)

Seems to me this is easily reversible, but you need to "glue" rather than "snap in" the original parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.