Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Advice/suggestions on 2008/2009 ML models

1K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  alpac 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,
I am on the market for possibly buying a 2008 or 2009 ML model either 350 or 550 with around 100k miles. These years and mileage are in my price range for what I need to do with it. What should I pay particular attention to before buying any of these 2 models for these years and mileage? I maintain and service all my cars as well as my motorcycle myself and bring them to a garage very rarely, only if it is an issue I cannot handle myself.
Thanks a lot in advance for any advice

#2 · (Edited)
I have a 2008 ML350 with 180,000+ miles, and love it. Other than the usual Mercedes things to check, there are two "Gotchas". The Balance Shaft and broken Tumble Flap Actuator.

The balance shaft problem is a MAJOR issue, affecting mainly 2005-2007 vehicles, although there were some 2008's affected as well. But I would think that by this time/mileage the engine would either be fixed or dead! Regardless, if the Engine Serial Number is ABOVE [30 468993] you are pretty much good to go. If not, be sure to do a scan and look for P1200 or P1208. If it has either of these codes...RUN!

The broken swirl flap actuator isn't a deal breaker, but it's a PIA to fix as you have to pull off the entire intake manifold to get to it. In my experience, it will result in a lack of power from a stop and about a 2-3mpg loss when broken. The dealer will want to replace the entire manifold as Mercedes only sells the actuator arm as part of the entire manifold ($$$). Luckily several entrepreneurs have made kits to fix the broken arms for under $40 and they work great. Look for codes 0521, 0522 or 0524 (P2004/P2005/P2006).

#3 ·
Thanks. I did some search and found 2 ML's that I may be interested in. One is a 2008 ML350 white with 86k miles on it in great condition that is for sale for $14800. It has a good carfax history, 2 owners and was serviced at a Mercedes dealer for most of its life. I inspected and drove the truck and it drives good and has no codes that shows on my OBD2 reader. While it has good power it does not quite match my 2009 MDX but that is ok since I will keep the MDX anyway. The other one is a 2008 black ML550 with 90k miles, one owner and the carfax shows that it was serviced at a Mercedes dealer all its time since new. It drives really good, has tone of power and as the other one does not show any code on my OBD2 reader. I am surprised that none of them has memory seats as all the Mercedes I have owned including my old 92 SL had memory seats. Really not a deal breaker but it just surprised me. Both come with new tires.
I checked the engines ref# and both of these SUV's are past the balance shaft issue period.
I like both of these trucks but I must say the power of 550 put a smile on my face right away. Any insight that could help me go for one or the other? Would one be more difficult to service and maintain by myself than the other?
Thanks again

#4 ·
Well, after looking and test driving several used ML's, both 350 and 550, I ended buying 2011 ML550 with 80k miles on it in absolutely pristine condition. The car was owned by Mercedes so I am the second owner and all recommanded maintenance services have been done and are documented on the Carfax. It comes with a tone of options that I now need to learn about. The ML replaces my 2009 Acura MDX that had twice as much miles. I loved the Acura and my plan was to buy an ML and keep the Acura but I ended spending more on the ML than I initially thought so I decided to trade the Acura in. The ML is now the third Benz in the family and the 4th German vehicle since my motorcycle is a beemer. The only issue I have found so far with the ML is that one of the 2 keys must have a low battery as it does not always work. By the way the car does not have the start button so I start the car with the key but I understand that I could put a start button in place of the key hole, is that correct? I suppose I can order this start button on line but does it need to be paired with the car or any start button for mercedes would work?

#5 ·
You can if you have the keyless go option. I have known some people to remove the start button and just use their key. Your dealer can tell you if you have the option, but there is usually an extra black button on your door handle if you have keyless go. I hope you enjoy your ride.

#6 ·
The start button is about $30-$40 depending on where you source it. Doesn't need any programming, it merely actuates the ignition switch with a magnetic p/u. This is all dependent on your vehicle having keyless go as an option. As stated above, you will have the black door lock buttons on all the outside door handles and there will be two hatch closing buttons (on for close, one for close and lock).

My '09 ML is keyless go but didn't have the push button when I bought it. I found one on Amazon from a dealer, it pops in and out really easy if you need to use the key for specific functions i.e. diagnostics.

#9 ·
Got the stop\start button on ebay and i love the fact i dont have to take my key out of my pocket to get into the car and start it. However it would have been nice if the car was automatically locking itself when walking away with the key in my pocket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.