Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DPF cleaning cycle

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  luciano136 
#1 ·
I did a search and can't find an answer so here goes...
Does the DPF on the ml320 cdi have an injector for the clean cycle? If not how is extra fuel added for a clean cycle? Is there any indication on the dash that you are in a clean cycle?

I installed an ultra gauge and have displayed my cat temps, they usually run between 400 and 700 degrees. At one point they were both over 1000 degrees. For maybe 30 minutes or so. Was that a clean cycle?

I just bought the car with 50k miles in excellent condition, it's a 2008. I have been running it for long highway miles and my mileage has increased a few MPG's so I'm thinking it's getting a good cleaning.

Thanks in advance
Frank

#2 ·
Hi frank,
there is no indication on the dash that your dpf in on cleaning cycle. i believe that by getting to that temp (600 to 1000 degrees) it did its cleaning job. that explains the sudden drop also on your mileage because of the injectors parts on the cycle. as long as your run your cdi on ULSD and use the proper oil 229.51 or 229.5 i think your fine. My problem in bringing my car to asia is that they dont have ULSD and very limited 229.51 reason being that the DPF emits a big plum of white smoke during cycle. burning more soot and deposits as it should be. thanks

#4 ·
I have a W164 as well as a W211 with the OM642 engine.
My dd is the W211 and the commute is 1 mile to the expressway and 18 miles on it followed by a 1 mile trip to parking.
Traffic is usually moving briskly so it's typical to accelerate to 70 mph and engage the cruise.
I usually have the miles-to-empty display on and here's what I typically see in the first 6 miles:
0 to 2 miles - display will show a steady miles-to-empty.
2 to 4 miles - display will show a steady decrease in miles-to-empty.
4 to 6 miles - display begins to increase miles-to-empty. Coolant is usually stable by now.
6 to 18 miles - display will generally increase with occasional dips.
There have been times that I park with the exhaust crackling with heat, but that is not common.
My presumption is that the decrease in miles-to-empty is an indication of regeneration.
Of some interest the mpg display will often show steady increases despite what the miles-to-empty display indicates.
Skippy

#5 ·
On occasion I do notice a burning smell when I drive with the air off. I thought that could be related to the DPF cleaning cycle? Other than that, no clear indication.

I have noticed that the MPG is much lower on short drives but I'm sure that's related to the nature of a diesel engine; it only returns good mileage when hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.