Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Water damage on 2006 ML350 HELP

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Noodles 
#1 ·
I accidentally drove my 2006 ML350 through a 3-4 foot deep puddle (the road was flooded but it was dark and I couldn't see) and it didn't make through it. The electic system froze and went crazy and the car stopped in the middle of it.

The mechanic I took it to told me that the water got into the engine and cylinders and that the electric components are to be replaced. He said that getting a used engine ($6700) would still be cheaper than disassembling the current engine to fix it. Is that true? Also, I found online some used engines for about 2 or 3 thousand dollars.. any opinion on what is a realistic price or where to get a cheap motor?

The electric parts are going to be around $3000, he said, but is there any chance that those can get fixed instead of replaced? Maybe I just have to find someone who is able to?

I am not covered by insurance and this mechanic quoted total cost for this job at about $15k. Any suggestions/advice/personal experience that can help me save some money? Thank you in advance.

#6 ·
He is not covered by insurance on this incident, so he will have to take the hit personally.

I think that is why we are all telling him to just replace the vehicle for less money than the repair cost.

If it was insured it would already be written off and he would be car shopping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.