Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help replacing rear shocks on 2006 ML350

5K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  GENEVA420SEL 
#1 ·
Hi All, I am new to the forum and have a 2006 ML350 4matic. I am replacing the rear shocks (100,000) because they are leaking. I have no issues with the mechanical part of the replacement but need help removing the interior panel over the rear wheel arch to access the top of the shock absorber. I've looked extensively on the internet and this forum but cannot find anything specific to this particular year and model. I'm not concerned about breaking some clips but don't want to ruin the panel. Would someone please share the procedure for the removal of this panel and any special tools required. Thanks.

Larry

#2 · (Edited)
just remove the interior panel and you will see the bolt that holds the shocks after cutting the insulation mat. Note: you will need to cut the mat. approximately at 12cm. fold up . just be carefull with the wirings there. just stick back the mat after youve installed the shocks back.

#3 ·
Zft325, Yes, I know I have to remove the interior panel to access the top of the shock absorber. This is exactly what I need assistance with. If anyone has detailed instructions regarding the removal of the interior panels, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks!

#4 ·
I don't remove the panels. unless the sub in the right side corner.

I open the rear covers and reach my arms in there to remove the 13mm bolts.

but anyway.

you will need a t30 bit. remove all the ones you see. once removed you will need to remove the lower threshold on the bottom of the trunk area (2t30 on inside in spare tire well). the trim pieces are now just "clipped" to the wall. just lightly pull.

#5 ·
removing the panel is pretty straight forward. you will need to remove the latch aswell on the floor from the trunk area. you will need fold the rear seat and pull out the door seal on the side of the door.

#7 ·
Thanks zft325 and vortecpwr for the information. I had the aluminum trim panel off of one side of the trunk threshold and assume I need a special tool to remove the fasteners underneath. Will a regular set of plastic interior fastener tools handle them or will I need a special MB tool?

#9 ·
Hey ML Comrades > I just changed out a leaking ADS left rear shock on my 06 ML500 - back in business. It's a pretty straight forward procedure. The sub woofer is located on the left side , so 1) I removed the emergency door panel, 2) removed aluminum track , 3) aluminum/chrome rear door base, lifted and strapped base gate vertical position , 4) popped side panel to gain access to the top bolts of the shock (the insulation was already cut, so this is at least the `2nd replacement shock being swapped in @ 83K mile - ridiculous) 5) loosened 2 top shock nuts, 6) jacked left rear wheel and remove (JACK Stands recommended, blocked 2 wheels) 7) open end 24mm (15/16 inc) , interior orientation , on the shock nut so it will turn and hit the control arm when ratcheted from the bolt side. 8) remove shock top nuts and the control arm /shock assembly will drop down , 9) remove shock bolt and nut , remove leaky shock after disconnecting the electronic control connector , 10) reverse all this for installation - recommend orienting the new shock and thread the top bolts and hand tight from the top. Use a bottle jack to raise the control arm assy. to line up the bottom bolt. You probably want to oil the bolt and nut for removal next time - these shock don't appear to last very long - I got mine off ebay for $220 - appears to be German part , not that that says anything these dayz...

I didn't bother getting a twin shock for the RR... if I was rallying in an AMG , I probably would. Besides, I'd rather move on to the last piece of the puzzle which is the transfer case. I'm sourcing an 08 or newer transfer case from my recycling source which are $500-$600 these days. I'll take the old one and rebuild it with new bearing and seals. Seals seem to be the culprit on noisy transfer cases - I popped open the two plugs to see what would fly out of the case , I was greeted with a table spoon of fluid... uh oh , thanks for checking the truck out used car lot... Since, I added the proper German fluid and I checked the level after a couple of hundred miles - I know it was down because I did see a drip from the vicinity and burn... all in all , it quieted down some, and lost about 1/4 capacity after 1000 miles. Still driving local , rarely wind it out on the freeway or high speed... waiting for this to crap out, before I get around to a replacement part, (farming out the installation). Ironically, I was chasing down stuff during my project today and a G-class AMG parked next to me... made me feel small fixing my needy ML....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.