Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help my Tailgate wont open!!!

27K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Greg325i 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Having a weird problem and have done lots of searching but cant find anyone with the same issue.

Basically my tailgate is locked shut, if I open the doors with the key fob they all open but I cant hear the lock for the trunk making any noise and it doesnt open.

If I crawl into the back and use the emergency switch on the door it will open and the soft close function also works normally, it just will not unlock normally with the rest of the doors. Is this an acutator issue or something else bearing in mind soft close is fine and working normallly?

Feb up with having to climb over the seats to unlock my the tailgate, mine is not an easypack auto open if that helps to diagnose.

Thanks

#5 ·
Had a quick question regarding the actuator part #s:

The video above shows actuator part number A164 740 07 35. However, most of the parts I'm seeing on eBay are A164 740 06 35. I called the dealership, and with the last 8 of my VIN, the parts guy said I need the 07 part. Here's the rub, I'm seeing the 07 actuator for about $140 more than part # 06, and ECS Tuning's listing of the 06 part indicates that it will fit my vehicle.

So...

Is this just an upgraded part number because of some VIN split, or is it actually better? We all know that German carmakers love to replace parts with almost identical part and charge twice as much. If it's something simple like one has a red cable, and the other is black, well, I'm going to save some $$$. However if one has plastic gears, and the replacement is metal, then I think it's worth it.

If anyone has some insight, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Regards,
Greg

#6 · (Edited)
I am seeing it as two different currently available parts. I do not know what year you ML is. It would be great if you could add the year of the ML by updating your profile.
I have had issues with ECS on some listings when it comes to fitment. They sent my the wrong steering for a VW GTi two times until I got the correct part number from the dealer.

Lock Actuator | Genuine Mercedes-Benz | 164-740-06-35 : MBdirectparts.com - Mercedes-Benz Parts

Lock Actuator | Genuine Mercedes-Benz | 164-740-07-35 : MBdirectparts.com - Mercedes-Benz Parts

#9 ·
There are several part numbers that interchange, and a higher last number/letter is usually the revision number. Mine had a 211- part in it, replaced it with a 164- part. Obviously they use this actuator on a LOT of different trunks/tailgates.

#10 · (Edited)
Since it does open from the inside,
it might just be the switch inside the door handle.
Had to do this on my C Class hatch, and bent the point that contacted the switch ever so slightly.
Yes, I realize they are different, and thank god I haven't had to do this yet on our 2006 ML.
But there's a switch in the hatch handle that operates the actuator.

If the actuator was broken it would NOT open from the inside.

Lo and behold it's the same switch in he ML as in my C class.
https://www.oediscountparts.com/par...iteid=215242&vehicleid=412813&diagram=5772660

#13 in the parts diagram. 2038217451 $10.12 at least for 2006.
If you pull the handle out all will become obvious,
as you pull the handle and it's just a hair short of the amount of tension needed to
completely activate the switch. Like I said, just bend the metal piece that
actuates the switch just a little and all will be well.
I did this like 100K miles ago.

Test it with an ohmeter.

#11 ·
Just noticed that original post was from 2015. Oh well,
like I said, it wasn't the actuator if it works from inside.

#14 ·
Hmmmm....I'll need to look next time I pop the trunk on our ML.
No electrically operated switch mounted in the trim panel inside?
This is a common issue on C coupes and wagons, and since it's the same switch in the ML....
:dunno:
So perhaps not the same problem, but still good info.

#16 ·
Completed this over last weekend. Thanks for everyone's help. The trim piece at the bottom of the hatch (where the red open/close button is) was a total b%^& to get off!!! Felt like I was going to break it. In any event, the video is really helpful, and it sounds like this is a reasonably common problem, so anyone else coming in to this thread for a similar problem would do well to start there.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.