Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Oil Cooler Repair turns into a 2 week problem

8K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Vortecpwr 
#1 · (Edited)
My ML has been sitting at the dealer now for 2 weeks due to a check engine light that illuminated after the Oil cooler repair was completed. I was the one that noticed as I was getting ready to pull out of the service drop off bay.

So lets see who the top shade tree mechanic is on this board, what is my ML's problem? Any guesses? The dealer has since tried the glow plug module, thought it was a bad electrical ground, called MBUSA, and have 1 senior tech and supervisor looking at it.

They did mention there was alot of carbon build up that they noticed during the strip down to get to the cooler so they let some cleaner sit for days before they put the ML back together but this was before the check engine light.

I've never had a check engine light come on in this vehicle before but in my w163 it could only be the CAT, 02 sensors, MAF, Evap Canister etc... easy stuff.

Also, how mad would you be if you had to drive to the dealer after work 2x's and be told it's not ready? Each time it's a 2hr round trip because of traffic and the 2 hours begins after I drop my carpool off (45 min commute). Should I be asking for reparations? Like them figuring out why my rear ac outlets don't work or them finishing my brake work (I need to replace my disks which are sitting in my garage). Should I pay half price for the cooler repair?

I'm really not upset at this ordeal because I'm more focus on them getting everything done correctly and the check engine light not coming on a week after I get the truck back. However, I don't appreciate the driving back and forth for nothing though.

See less See more
#2 ·
My ML has been sitting at the dealer now for 2 weeks due to a check engine light that illuminated after the Oil cooler repair was completed. I was the one that noticed as I was getting ready to pull out of the service drop off bay.
I cannot offer any suggestions here, but I do think that it was very poor that you had to notice the CEL yourself when you picked up the car.

I have looked through my WIS to see just what is entailed when removing & installing the oil/water heat exchanger. It states that, to reach the heat exchanger, the charge air manifold must be removed.

That is quite a big job and entails 25 descrete steps of dismantling parts, with another 25 to put them all back - so plenty of opportunities to make a bad fitting there, imo.

I would insist that this CEL is their problem to fix, as it was not there when you delivered the car for this repair.

#5 ·
There are many issues here. First, I would only be mad at myself for driving all that time to check on an unfinished project. Why not call and find out? Secondly, I would guess that they have provided a free loaner for these two weeks, my dealer does this. I would be happy about that, you're putting miles on their car. Third, I do not think reparations are in order, they are doing what they can. I would suggest joining MB of America club so you can get significant discount on parts and service.

#7 · (Edited)
First, they called me each time to pick up the vehicle, I came and it wasn't ready. Who just shows up at the dealer unannounced? "Surprise, is my car ready!" ;)

Second, the loaner is certainly not an ML and I had plans for my ML for the past two weekends. (bags of mulch, tint, change brake disk). My ML has a life you know. :)

Third, I am a member of MBCA and the discount is/was 10%. I believe the membership was $50 and I have saved over $250 within 2014.

QUOTE=Dave T;8847097]There are many issues here. First, I would only be mad at myself for driving all that time to check on an unfinished project. Why not call and find out? Secondly, I would guess that they have provided a free loaner for these two weeks, my dealer does this. I would be happy about that, you're putting miles on their car. Third, I do not think reparations are in order, they are doing what they can. I would suggest joining MB of America club so you can get significant discount on parts and service.[/QUOTE]

#9 ·
I have my ML back and after driving a couple of 2014 GLKs during the past two weeks, it feels slow and unresponsive.

Anyway, all is well so far, they determined there was a grounding issue and also replaced all of the glow plugs. I did more research online a few days ago and found it is not uncommon for the check engine light to be a problem after oil cooler replacement. Is this due to inexperience?

#13 ·
yes diesel only

I have done 7 or 8 of these oil coolers and only had 1 come back for a CEL. and the reason being it was for the intake shut off motor that sits under the turbo and gets flooded with oil when the intake to turbo o-ring leaks. the cust declined the replacement of it when I did the oil cooler. its like 250 bucks for that unit. I always add that to my job to CYA myself.

SO it sounds like to me they pinched a grnd wire or power wire to the glow plug unit or plugs themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.