Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Water intrusion-2008 ML 350

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Witek_M 
#1 ·
'08 ML 350 w/ 92K miles, bought new, no accidents, been good until now:
Into dealership for a mild, under hood wiring campaign. Drove home with no audio. Next day, ABS warning flashing and no turn signals. I call dealer suspecting it's related to service work done. Next day, it won't start to drive it in, so it gets towed in.
Delaer reports an opening in a welded area beneath the cowl has allowed water to fill the radio electronics compartment beneath driver's seat, making radio inop and causing voltage draw resulting on all the other stuff.
MBenz says they will "repair" the affected area of the cowl, but we're on the hook for @$4100 in repairs to stereo/wiring, diagnostic time, etc.
Not willing to accept this, I'm mounting my charge up the Customer Care ladder. Not ready to go postal or anything, but who amongst us can let me know what I might be in for?
Thanks, sorry for longish post.

#2 ·
Did they actually show you the water damage and the opening that the water got through?

#3 ·
Bummer, sorry to hear about this. These ML's never fail to surprise me with new and horrible defects, not to mention all the relatively common ones.

Dealer reports "an opening in a welded area beneath the cowl" and they are going to repair effective area. How did this area get damaged in the first place, or was it a defect originally from the factory? Not sure what's worse, the ML or the dealership service department...

#4 ·
Last time I looked the 'the radio electronics compartment' is under the rear seat. At least that's where the satellite radio and Tele-Aid equipment is.
If we're talking about the same place, your ankles would be wet.

What was the campaign they were performing? Where in the car is it wet?

Are you in the part of California that received the record rains?

Seems odd to me.

Skippy

#5 ·
The radio amp is under the drivers area in a compartment like the battery compartment on the right side. Did they have the car on a lift and let the lift arm slip off the jack pad and damage the floor pan. That is strange that it happened after your visit. They offer to fix it free but you have not seen if the area is an open seam or damaged from some force caused by a lift or hitting something on the road. Your insurance may help if it is undercarriage damage caused by hitting something.

#6 ·
Overdue update

Well, we've had ML back from the dealer about a month now.
They warned us that not all the electrics would work, that the audio most likely would not work. They tried us on for @ $1600.00 worth of component replacement, but we opted to take our chances.
So far, so good, including the audio.
So in the end, I have to say that the dealership in Marin, Ca (recently a part of the Penske empire) did very well for us. They had the car towed in, diagnosed, found fault, determined they had done nothing wrong in their recent work, had MB pay for part of the repairs, and comp'd us the rest, all the while providing a loaner car.
At this point, I have nothing but good to report.
However, mamasml is down the road, and she's driving a new BMW X5 now.

#7 ·
Interesting story, best to run away from the ML while it still runs right (as you did it seems).

#8 ·
Speaking if water intrusion....and couldn't find any related recent posts...

Our 07 ML350 had the lift gate replaced a few months ago. Granted it's usually garaged, but it was unexpectedly outside for heavy FL rain. Got the intermittent "left brake bulb" warning. Opened the back access and found an inch of standing water in the well below the light assembly. (Luckily, the rear SAM is on the passenger side; previously replaced under warranty). Found Brake bulb holder was melted....had it happen before so I was able to get the part ($15) and clear the warning, fix the brake light for now. Side note, Dealer said it was "normal" for "city drivers" to have the bulb holder melt as you are "using the brake more than designed" (no comment) but I will add the part has been revised with different plastic and rev #.

However, back to water, Dealer wanted $140 today for a leak test, saying there's nothing wrong with the lift gate repair, and there are plenty of rear gaskets that could be the cause. $$$$$ "However, they rarely see gasket problems on any Mercedes less than 15 years."

Has anyone else noticed the rear W164 tail lights look like they don't even have gaskets? Is there a fix? Brake light was fixed, but standing water is bad. Thanks!

#9 ·
That's amusing, what they said about "normal" (crap) regarding the rear brake light stuff that melts. Mine was replaced under warranty on my 2006 ML.

#10 ·
" Found Brake bulb holder was melted....had it happen before so I was able to get the part ($15) and clear the warning, fix the brake light for now. Side note, Dealer said it was "normal" for "city drivers" to have the bulb holder melt as you are "using the brake more than designed" (no comment) but I will add the part has been revised with different plastic and rev #. "

" It is normal for city drivers to have bulb holders melt"

... Speechless ...

But worse than the dealer excuse; what quality level is MB stooping down to? Installing all these sub-par crappy plastic parts that melt? using weather and mechanical seals that last only a few years? using plastics that peel off or delaminate after 3-4 years, ...

All claims about better built, engineered and tested have been flying out the window the past few weeks while doing a bit of research on off-warranty $$$$ repairs to my '08 ML - which seem common place now on new models and were completely unheard of decades ago - and pondering replacing it with a new(er) one. I know the forum gives tunnel vision with regards to technical / mechanical issues, but geez.

#11 ·
"Normal", too funny.

I see so many early in the current generation (2008/2009) Mercedes C-class cars with failed and dimming rear brake lights on the road. Any finally the NHTSB has forced the recall. I guess they figure that failing brake lights are not normal, legal, and/or safe.

Reactions: Jim-ML320W164
#14 · (Edited)
As I said in another thread, the ML is not the quality I expected from Mercedes.

The A class I also own which is Japan built is also low quality.

The 2004 W203 C class which we owned briefly until it was wrecked about 5 months ago was better but I still bashed my head getting in and out.

And I've also seen a 2010+ S class which is also of the same base "quality". I was more impressed with an Audi A6.

The 1980s Mercs were the last of the quality Mercedes.

Now a Toyota is preferable.

Shame, they've gone too far. The more expensive models should have stayed high quality, better than other marques, to maintain their advantage. Now they've lost it as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather have a Jag, the older the better they were too.

#16 · (Edited)
More commiseration and disgruntlement in my case.

Having said that... My ML needs a set of injector seals. The local Merc dealer won't sell parts from his own stock but they just say they have none, so they want us to place an order, 2 months delivery, and pay an admin and transport and import charge that more than doubled the list price, for any part!?!?

Luckily there are two motor factors who can get most parts flown in within 3 weeks if they don't have them, and make only a smaller charge.

So now I've got that niggle out in the open... Take no notice! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.