Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Real life fuel comsumption - ML350, ML550

14K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Jason1966 
#1 ·
After owning a 2000 ML430 for 14 years, I think it's time for a replacement. The engine on my ML430 is still silky smooth after 14 years and 170,000km so I would prefer to have another V8. For now, I am doing some research on the difference in fuel consumption of a ML350 and a ML550 (Model year 2010/2011). Any posting of personal experience from board members would be greatly appreciated.

#3 ·
I also have a ML430 and we mostly use it for around town I get an average of 16mpg. In 10/2012 we were in search for another SUV and narrowed down to either X5,Q7 both with V8 engines. We finally purchased a 08 ML550 with 40k miles. The 550 gets better gas mileage than the 430 -it now has 110k miles- on both around town and freeway I think because it has 7-speed tranny instead of 5-speed. We both like the acceleration and stopping power it has. My wife drives it more than I do and believe me she drives fast. Another thing we like about the 550 is it looks a lot better than the 350 because of the front and rear bumpers and larger wheels. Most of the 550 I've seen they have AMG appearance package.

Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, I agree that the looks of the ML550 is one of the many selling points for me plus of course, the power. The cargo space of the ML430 is probably the best of all the SUVs in it's class (in the same model years). My ML430 is getting about 14 liters/100km which is on par with your experience. So what's the maintenance/repair like for your ML550 so far? ML550's actual fuel consumption? Thanks for your (cschiller's as well) input.

#5 ·
I just recently replaced my '02 ML500 (with 425k km on it) with an '08 ML 550.

It looks like it's getting better mileage, but then a newer engine with much lower mileage on it certainly should.

On the other hand, this engine has a bunch more horsepower, and I don't spare the pony's!

I'm used to 160 knots, 100 km/h is boring! LOL.

#8 ·
I don't know if I've put enough km's on it to get a good feel for it but it looks like I'm getting around 14.3 litres / 100 km. of mixed divided highway, secondary highway and some in town driving.

As I said before though, if I could lighten my right foot some it would undoubtedly go up. But if I drove that way I'd have bought a 350 not a 550! ;)

#11 ·
2010 ML550

Similar to previous posters I have to say you're your own worst enemy as far as fuel consumption goes :)

Trip computer reckons I'm averaging 14-16mpg mixed suburban driving. on the freeway I can realistically/easily average around 17mpg at 80mph. I've done a couple of 60 mile trips where I've managed to get the average to hit 20mpg but that's very careful 65-70mph driving with no stop-and-go traffic, but includes the non-freeway start of the trip.

If you drive-it-like-you-stole-it in 35-55mph zones you'll probably average around 14mpg, but I rationalized that I'd probably get 16mpg if I'd bought a 350.

#12 ·
I had a 2004 ML 500 @ 19 mpg that I traded in for a 2011 ML350 23-27 mpg. In all fairness we have to remember we gained 2 more gears in the transmission that help big time on gas mileage. I use to wish I had 2 more gears on my ML500. that Vehicle served me well for 270K miles. hope the 350 will do the same. FYI, you will hardly notice the different in horsepower. my ML350 would of given my ML 500 a run for it's money.

#16 ·
I may be mistaken but the V8's normal interior packages always come with the far superior MBTEX dash versus the rubbery hard plastics of the "base" V6 MLs, at least that is the case for the W166. In the V6 W166, the nicer materials are omitted even if you opt for the leather package.

I also know that from the past M112/M113 engines, the W163 ML350 and ML500 get 1 MPG difference in city and none on the highway. 14/17 versus 15/17. Either way, with a petrol engine in a SUV you'll be always in the high teens. So get the more powerful V8 if one to two gallons doesn't make a difference.

If you're looking for efficiency, get the diesel. The diesel is faster in feel and faster* than the petrol V6 and funner to drive. Faster in short spurt of acceleration, 20-40, and about the same speed 0-60.

Our 2011 ML350 Blutec has 23.5 MPG combined over the past 15K miles from ODO Trip reset. On the highway at an average speed of 70 MPH over 600 miles we had marked 27 MPG. It is also capable of doing over 32 MPG if you drive 50 and always avoid accelerating... but this is more of a useless accomplishment considering the emission technology can dictate how rich the engine burns.

In conclusion, I would look at the EPA numbers and make your guess from there. For me, the EPA numbers for the gasoline cars always end up favoring the city, getting consistent 15 MPG with a 2005 ML350. The EPA ratings for the diesels before 2012 are all REALLY REALLY REALLY off for highway but relatively accurate for city if you drive the diesel like a petrol car: allowing the car to rev over 3000 for mundane acceleration instead of short shifting before 2000 RPM.

These numbers are all in US Gallons.

#17 ·
My comment is a bit off topic. I drive the diesel ML and get fuel economy as quoted by other posters that drive the diesel.

But, in reading this thread it dawned on me that most of us have purchased these cars, which are not inexpensive, paying upwards of $70k for a fully loaded ML currently. Yet, we are concerned about fuel economy!

Sit down and figure your cost of fuel for a years worth of driving. And, then look at the true cost of ownership. If you drive 15k miles a year, and get terrible fuel economy with an ML.....your fuel bill for the year might be somewhere between $3000 and $4000. At the same time that you pay for that fuel, your depreciation and cost of maintenance for the vehicle will be two to three times your fuel costs! And, that is not the who story. The difference between driving the diesel and the 550 may account for a total difference of about $1500 per year. So, why spend so much time arguing about choice of cars based upon fuel consumption? It's the wrong focus.

So, my point is that fuel economy should not be the issue that you concentrate on. Reliability, driving pleasure, and resale values are more pertinent.

Cheers.

#18 ·
So, my point is that fuel economy should not be the issue that you concentrate on. Reliability, driving pleasure, and resale values are more pertinent.

Cheers.
For sure and yes, we know all that.

And we know how mediocre ML reliability and ML resale values are too (that's been discussed in other threads).

Hopefully nobody is making an issue of fuel economy, the goal of this thread is to report on actual fuel economy via actual ownership experiences.

#20 ·
2010 ML550

3700 mile cross country trip, 18.7MPG, 57MPH
With careful driving <75MPH I can get just over 20MPG
Mixed local highway and around town 16MPG

The big differences to me are smoothness and punch.
Both my ML550 and S550 have the smooth and powerful 382HP V8 which needs only a feather touch to drive and feels effortless where the higher revs and more noise from the V6s felt like I was pushing a bit, not nearly as relaxing a driving experience.
The the punch when you put your foot down with the V8 is always a thrill.
I preferred my ML500 over my ML320 for the same reasons.

Post what makes you decide!

#22 ·
'08 ml350 4matic gas (premium) standard 19"

Without a rush hour metropolitan commute and a gentle foot typically 20.x mpg in mixed driving, with a bit of foothills, probably 70/30 highway distance and 50/50 time wise.

On extended highway drives it'll do 21.x.
Same for long rural roads at 55mph.

Driving a bit faster (>70 rather than <70) sometimes seems to net better long distance mpgs on the interstate.

Never once saw the 24-26 on extended road trips the dealer promised. Not that I believed it, realistically, but they actually said I would get better than official MB published figures ... Never found the key to get above 22.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.