Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2006 350 steering rack issue or other

3K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Loneryder 
#1 ·
My new to me 2006 ML350 just rolled over 24,000 miles - yay - and now when it's cold it's got a nasty sound coming from up front at idle. When warm it's not there, and when cold and it is there it seems to vary with wheel turning. Is this an indicator of the rack issue I've read about? For what it's worth, the dealership replaced the idler pulley when I bought the car as it was a noisy basterd.

#2 ·
Starting it up after work yesterday, and again this morning, I'm thinking the sound is coming from the transmission. It is noisy for 15-20 seconds then it subsides - so maybe not so much a warm up as a fluid distribution.... I just dropped it off at the dealer where I bought it. I'm a "new" customer as the car was purchased 8 weeks ago so hopefully they will do right by me if I need anything major.

#3 ·
The dealership did not duplicate the sound yesterday, they didn't let it sit long enough so kept it over night.

But they say my AC compressor is noisy, and the water pump "is slightly seeping - which is very rare."

$2,500 for the above, and it's not why I took it in. (And I'm not sure if any of it is a concern.)

#5 ·
Good advice, and fortunately I've got the best indy in the state. He recommended I take it to the dealer as I just bought the car. So I did and....

They say it's the water pump, and they just replaced it at 1/2 price, or the same price as my indy said he could get the OEM part for. I hope this is it as I'm not too pleased dumping money into a new purchase, but I get that things happen and she's not new! :)

#6 · (Edited)
MX-5.0 owning an 06 year ML can be tough. Not withstanding the balance shaft issues, the 06's (1st year of the 2nd gen. ML's) have a particularly poor reliability record-BUT some owners go well over 100000 with little issues. Hope you are one of them. Things to watch for. Leaks-through the tail light and sun roof (if you have one.) These leaks can take down a lot of your electrical functions-a lot of $$$ to fix. The previous owner of my 08 ML had this and it was fixed under warranty by him. Front diff has also been an issue. Rear hatch power opening (if you have one.) fails to operate. last but not least, valve body issues in the transmission-a major$$$ to fix. The steering rack issues potentially affect all ML's through at least 2010-I feel this issue on my 08 is pretty inevitable and I'll have to deal with it down the road. In fact all of the above issues haunt all of the 2nd gen. (06-2011) ML's but seem to be particularly prevalent in 06's and early 07's. Scottsdale-one of my favorite places to visit.

#7 ·
Thanks for the heads up klpper41. I probably wouldn't have made the purchase had I done more homework, but alas I did. I checked with my independent and he says he only sees 164s in for routine maint, and they tend to eat shocks. It was to be an extra car for me but quickly became my daily driver which also may have changed my purchase. In any event, it's all good right now and I still feel it's a good car - when it works. Also fortunately, we only get 5 days of rain in AZ.

I'll watch for the other stuff. I know the front diff will make all sorts of hellish sounds when/if it goes. What's the steering racks symptoms? This water pump sound seemed a hydraulic issue initially - hence my topic title.

I've no life gate, no air suspension so I figured most stuff isn't there to break. :) fingers crossed!

#8 ·
Do a search in the section on Power Steering noise. I had a CPO 2006 ML350 that was doing the same thing and I think I posted some details. It was in shop for a week, but not rack-related fix.

MX-5.0, I assume your ML350 is not CPO.

#10 · (Edited)
MY take on the 164's: About the safest car on the road-no one beats it on crash tests. Fun to drive, especially on long trips.Nice handling and solid feel. If it only had Lexus or even Honda like reliability-it would be driving nirvana. (My 03 Honda pilot has 151000-no issues-no codes-no electrical glitches-no anything. Just struts at 100000 plus. It still has original front shocks. Only thing broken-the power door locks. Of course it's tiresome/boring to drive-exhausting on long trips, and its handling, especially in bad weather leaves much to be desired.) As for third party warranties: becareful-a lot of sharks in that business. again good luck with the ML.

#11 ·
My take is W164 is not especially fun to drive, with the exception of the engine power which delivers above average performance for SUV acceleration. The overassisted steering, overly large diameter and poorly finished steering wheel (with sharp edges that cut skin), overly touchy and poorly modulated braking and low speed ride harshness with shocks that are worn in first 30K miles (standard steel spring suspension) contributes nothing to fun to drive factor. A cheap Mazda CX-5 is more fun to drive with better steering, braking, ride/handling, only thing missing is the horsepower.

And now back to the Power Steering issue. The dealer and or any good indy Mercedes tech will have plenty of experience with this common problem.

#12 ·
Agreed that it is not fun to drive, but it certainly is darn comfortable on long distances. Compared to some of the them, especially the 2013 C250 loaner I got, the steering isn't over assisted. I mean it is, but that C was disconnected from the tires it felt like. The ML is not a sports car, but it will move when prodded. I'm going to take it on an off road trip when the weather warms. Then I'll see how I like it in that environment.

#16 ·
Agreed that it is not fun to drive, but it certainly is darn comfortable on long distances. .
Agreed, the ML is a beast on long trips and top notch for trips of hundreds of miles. Seats are firm and very supportive. One of the best SUVs for long highway trips.

#13 · (Edited)
Most people who drive some models of Mercedes, BMW, Audi, are not interested in the driving like qualities of a Mazda CX-5. Fun to drive for some would be comfort, quiet, solidity and safety. Fun to drive is also subjective and the qualities of a the Mazda cited would be for many, irrelevant. I would much prefer to drive across country in a ML over a Mazda CX-5. I notice all of MB-SV cars are on the sporty side-which is a personal preference-we all drive what we like. If I wanted really a sporty car with better steering, braking ride/handling I would FOR ME, think of better choices than the C300, IS350 or the Mazda CX-5. But again, that would be just a personal preference.

#14 ·
I only brought up "fun to drive" because it was mentioned several times in this thread, therefore I mentioned an example of a more fun to drive SUV (which happened to be a non-premium brand). Comfort, quiet, solidity and safety are other important topics and not "fun to drive". I've driven and owned both premium and non-premium SUVs. The ML350 will have mediocre fun to drive score (subjective) even when compared to only premium SUVs such as Cayenne, X5, Q5. For me I can think of better choices for fun to drive SUV's including both premium and non-premium SUVs. But that would just be a personal preference.

I've owned many fun to drive cars including Porsches but none (other than ugly Panamera) have the comfort and useful room of a sport sedan or SUV.

#18 · (Edited)
See post #5.

It was not the steering rack, but the water pump and the dealer picked up half the cost for me.

And today... I just had it towed in with a nasty rev-dependent clack clack clack coming from the belt tensioner. So back into the shop to see what's the cause behind that....

#17 ·
I would agree both the Cayenne and Q5 are more fun to drive. I wasn't looking to buy an ML350, but the private deal was absolutely too good to turn down. In other words, the ML found me. Compared to my Honda pilot, my ML is "fun to drive nirvana". NOW FOLKS, BACK TO THE ML POWER STEERING ISSUE PER OP.

#19 ·
MX-5.0 - Thanks for the followup reference (as posted in post #5). Glad you got it fixed at reasonable price, first I've heard of water pump failure, the power steering problem is more common.

If your belt tensioner is going bad, most likely the belt will need replacement too.

#20 · (Edited)
Argh, now it's the AC compressor. It was somewhat noisy, if you bothered to listen for it, but it wasn't "that" bad. Until yesterday morning and now I suppose it's seizing up. The clacking from the tensioner is the result from the compressor. A victim if you will. It's no fun facing a $1400 repair after a $500 one, on a "new" car with low miles. And especially when it's air-con related and it's in the 40's outside! LOL

#21 ·
Who is quoting you $1400? The Denso 471-1594 is what MB used and Amazon has 3 in stock for $403. You can double check the fitment right on Amazon. Also see the notes about the drier and o-rings there.
With labor and recharging a good AC shop or German indy tech can get you out the door for about $300-400 in labor and that includes recharging the system.
Denso 471-1594 A/C Compressor : Amazon.com : Automotive

#23 · (Edited)
Good points brought up by Noodles, about good Mercedes independent, with ML is out of warranty. Even for routine maintenance the savings will run about 30%.

The challenge with a ML is not having to take it in for additional repair service visits beyond normal scheduled visits at 10K or 13K intervals. More likely than not to have unscheduled visits to shop.

#24 · (Edited)
The dealership quoted me 1400 for the compressor repair, installed. It is now down to $900. I have a good independent shop and I've been consulting with him all the while. And following his advice he said to give the dealer some pressure as I just bought the car two months ago.

Once I'm over these humps it will be seeing the indy, solely, if not just me doing brakes and A/B services. For what it's worth, recall in previous posts I just had a water pump R&R'd. The dealer did it for $500, my indys price for the part (not my price, theirs) was $485.00. So I've got some room in here. The drier and all else is being replaced as well, all OE parts.

Yes, the ML has 24,000 miles on it. It must have sat for a couple of years. Since being traded in, it's received four new tires, a new idler pulley and belt, a new water pump and now A/C compressor. All the accessories on the block just about.

#25 ·
Strange that those two issues, water pump and AC compressor should show up on a ML with only 24000 miles. Of course those two issues are much better than the steering rack and trans valve body issues. OTOH, your ML does have only 24000, a rarity to find that vintage ML with so low miles-hardly broken in and like new-could be a real coup for you. My friend has an 02 ML he bought in 03 with low miles on it, and he now has 221000 miles with no major issues-go figure it out.

#30 ·
That car wasn't driven very often. When a car sits for long periods of time, the water pump and ac compressor are the first things to deteriorate. Better make sure that brake fluid is replaced. If it were mine, I would replace the ps fluid, both diffs, transfer case and trans fluid also. Then you know where you stand. This could be a great vehicle.

#26 · (Edited)
Sadly, not sure MX-5.0 is finding his "ML with so low miles-hardly broken in and like new-could be a real coup for you" to be such a great find, but I'll let him give his opinion on subject vehicle. Hopefully he got it for low price. These ML's out of warranty depreciate sharply when warranty expires for good reason. Hopefully his frequent visits to shop(s) will not continue.

Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) reliability examples of first gen ML don't apply to the 2nd gen ML.

#27 ·
Yet to be determined if the car is "good" or not. It's got these odd issues, and yet the usual suspects still linger. I bought it for the low mile and apparent condition, so far I'm only getting more concerned! I can't go back so I must press on.

#28 · (Edited)
Though the Ist Gen ML's are a bit cruder than the 2nd Gen. ML's, they may in fact be more reliable. I've spoken to a few Ist Gen. ML owners, and their problems seemed to be the smaller-electrical etc. and easier to fix , including my friend with the 02 ML with 221000 miles. Not a scientific survey, but just a hunch. I on the other hand, were surprised at how well used ML's stood up price wise. My 08 ML, with package 2 etc. and 43000 miles in very condition was going for (this was a survey of 20+ ML's with the same stats as mine) going for an average of $25-26000-about 50% of msrp. These were non-CPO's from dealers around the country. In fact the ML's used prices were higher in some cases than some of the used Audi A6's a friend had been looking at which had a comparable or slightly higher 08 msrp. (KBB gives this ML in the condition noted a $25000. private party value. Edmunds around $23500.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.