Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2006 350 steering rack issue or other

3K views 29 replies 6 participants last post by  Loneryder 
#1 ·
My new to me 2006 ML350 just rolled over 24,000 miles - yay - and now when it's cold it's got a nasty sound coming from up front at idle. When warm it's not there, and when cold and it is there it seems to vary with wheel turning. Is this an indicator of the rack issue I've read about? For what it's worth, the dealership replaced the idler pulley when I bought the car as it was a noisy basterd.

#29 · (Edited)
Crappy ML320CDI

This is my first post here in a long time, have had a 2007 ML 320CDI for over 7 years, have just over 100K Miles on it, I have not driven it lately and my wife started complaining about a clanking noise coming from the steering rack...Bingo!!! Steering Rack is gone, right drive shaft is shot, by the time I get it all done with after market drive shaft it will be over 3500.00 Canadian, and its at an Indy.
I have in my garages 2 BMW (535Gt & X3) 2 Mercedes ML320 & SL500), 2 BMW Bikes and a Porsche 911 (2011 C4 S Cab) Austrian plane in the Hangar.

Near future car decision options, are to replace all with Japanese and Korean, I will probably keep the C4S:thumbsup: because really there is no substitution, BMW and Mercedes are not a quality product, their service is crappy and they have an attitude.:mad:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.