BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2012
Vehicle: 2006 ML350 73,xxx mi
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Power steering fluid leak......Again

Ok folks need your help again. We have a major PS fluid leak on our 2006 ML350.

We had one before and MB changed the o-ring and it helped until now. We had no drips or leaks and then just all the sudden my wife calls and says it is making a really bad noise etc. I told her to go to MB and get PS fluid and add some. ($9.00)

She did that on the 5th and the bottle is now gone. I removed the reservoir and o-ring. I went to MB and purchased the Reservoir ($86.63 I thought $40.00 but not at this location) I got a new gasket ($6.00) Replaced all with a new hose clamp as well.

Raised car to do locks to locks and when she turned to lock it sprays hard from behind the pulley.

Any ideas how to root cause this? Looks like i just spent $110.70 for parts I did not need.

Any chance I put the o-ring on wrong? I just slid it over the tube then slid the reservoir on and replaced the c-clip.

Please help my wife and I only have this vehicle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
OK I'll try to help, but maybe I'm missing something here. Did you leave out some info on your diagnosis? i don't fully understand exactly what you did (and why) to the car.

Here is what I understand:
-PS noise
-Your wife added one bottle of PS fluid to the reservoir
-Noise continued so you replaced reservoir. Why? Did you see a leak? Or was this a guess?
-Now when turning steering you see a leak from the pulley area.

In the absence of detailed info (please provide it!) I would guess these should be your next steps:

-Clean all traces of PS fluid and start the car. Turn the wheel a little bit until you start to see fluid seeping. Then shut off the car immediately
-Find the spot where it is coming from and decide how to fix it.

I'm not sure why you replaced the reservoir, but you need a proper diagnosis at this point before you throw more parts at the problem.

Steering racks do leak on this model (and it's a well known problem) but I hesitate to tell you that's the problem until you do further diagnosis and actually see a leak there. Also, they tend to leak and not 'spray' as you are describing.

Find the exact leak area and let us know then we can help you further.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2011 ML350 Bluetec
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a steering rack which began to leak on the old 2008 ML320 CDI. Independent mechanic concluded that the rack would need to be replaced or at least replaced - a procedure which would be too costly.

Instead my solution was to get rid of that car - a decision which I have not regretted.

2011 ML350 Bluetec | Teronite Grey | Black ARTICO Leather | Avantgarde Package (Parktronic, COMAND APS, Heated Rear Seats, Power Tailgate, Rearview Camera, Blind Spot Assist, Keyless Go, Sports Package) | 20" Wheels | Trailer Hitch | Weathertech Floorliners & Trunk Mat

Past: 2011 E550, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2004 ML500
#4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
running a power steering pump with no fluid will kill it fast. you have to stop the engine immediatley.
i'm guessing the pump had prematurely worn due to the previous leak and lack of fluid.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 03:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Update

All who replied thank you for your input. First sorry for the horrible response back. We are a one car family so the situation was pretty fluid.

I travel almost weekly so I am not on the boards ever. I changed the reservoir because I was hoping it was cracked. However, that was not the case.

I ended up taking the car in for repair and it was the pump seal I guess. so they replaced the pump. Since that time we have called and been back twice as we have not been happy with the noise etc. Now they are saying there is a leaking high pressure hose to the power steering. $541.00 repair for a hose?

Im not sure this will fix it either. Could this reduce the noise and I assume the leak it has will stop but is there anyway to know it thats it?

We are just sick as we really cant afford all of this and we regret trying to own a pre-owned Benz.

Thoughts on the hose replacement and is the cost in line and could this fix the leak and noise?
#6 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2012 ML350Bluetec, 2013 A200 Exclusive, 2009 ML350CDI(sold), 2003 Aston Martin DB7VV.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Red face

It is possible to have a small leak either in the rack or the hose, where all the fluid escapes from the system.

If you keep driving, the pump will be running dry, so the bushings will wear.
You then fill up the system with fluid, it leaks along the pump shaft under the pulley. As the fluid hits the pulley the fluid is flung around by centrifugal force in what seems like a spray.

So you have to replace the pump which was damaged as a result of the failure, and you now have to fix the source of the failure.

You have the rack and all dripping with oil so you wipe it clean. The smooth metal surfaces clean up easily, but the rubber hoses still have some residual oil on them.

The MB rack is prone to leak. Any rubberised hose only has so much life hence is also prone to leak.
The task should you wish to accept it is to confirm where exactly the fluid is escaping. Do not just assume it is the hose and replace that with $$$ just to find it is another component.

Best of luck!
#7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
to be fair, the leak could have happened on any brand of car. but trying to throw parts at the problem without knowing the exact cause isnt the right approach. and running the car with low fluid killed your pump.
as for the noise, a hose will not be the cause. its almost always the pump...either due to low fluid, a worn pump, or (more than likely)air in the system. on some vehicles you have to do a certain routine to get all the air out of the steering system, otherwise you get a whine noise. one way is to jack up the front end until wheels are off the ground. and with engine off, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock at least several times. and then do it also with the engine on. during the whole process, keep an eye on the fluid level to make sure it doesnt get low.

who replaced your pump? dealer? did you verify it was replaced?
#8 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 10:20 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Unlike most cars, it's more common with this ML. My 06 ML350 was in shop for several days for same PS problem at under 45K miles, thankfully under warranty.

The E350 loaner was nice.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite metallic/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan
#9 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 07:34 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ok So let me review. We had a leak and noise. We purchased fluid and replaced it but then the leak got bad real fast and would just spray when turning. After reading on here I thought (mistakingly) it was a cracked res. So I replaced that with no improvment. I then immediatley took it to a Euro mechanic as MB would not even look for less than $100. They identified that the pump was bad and needed replaced. We allowed them to do it for us. They gave us a one year warranty on parts and labor. It has never sounded quite right since. So we have taken it back twice and called them. The last time we took it in they told us tha is has a high pressure hose leak. And yes as always there is a spot in the gargae on the floor. So no I am not throwing parts at it really. I just need this resolved and they want close to $600 to replace the hose. Can this leak cause the noise, could I replace the hose? I am terrified to continue owning this car. Is that justified? I cannot afford all the maintenance costs.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 08:38 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
^ Yes the PS leak could cause the noise, it did on my ML.

Btw - if you are very concerned about reliability and low maintenance costs, the 06 ML350 is not the best vehicle for you.

S.

2013 Mercedes C250 Sport package PLUS steel gray metallic/black
2007 Lexus IS350 Sport package smoky granite metallic/gray (+F-Sport, etc.)
2010 Honda Civic GX (CNG) white/tan

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.