'08 320 CDI limp mode - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2009 ML320 Bluetec
Quote:
Originally Posted by w2hmh View Post
The second time, now (170,000 mi), the dealer told me that the M55 intake inlet port shut off motor was bad and it needed to be replaced along with the intake manifolds($3,700) because the intake manifold valves were clogged with carbon hence causing the motor to short out. I opted to investigate myself. The shut off motor is indeed shorted (blown fuse #104), however the intake manifold valves are not clogged...the motor was shorted out due to oil leaking from turbo seal. I am currently in process of replacing the motor($150) myself. This is a rather involved job and not for the faint of heart.
IIRC Jeep CRD owners have found one can put a resistor across a couple of pins on the "swirl motor" harness to keep the ECU happy with failed motors with no noticeable effect on drivability or MPG.

Any electronics hobbyist should have the 1/4 watt resistor, they cost under a penny each in 200 count bags, or 5 for $2 at Radio Shack.
N4HHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Date registered: Feb 2010
Vehicle: 1998 E320, 2008 320ML CDI
Quote:
I have had similar problems with my '08 ML320cdi. Once at around 140,000 mi the dealer told me that the DPF was plugged and I needed to have it replaced ($3,600). I opted not to replace and replaced the differential sensor($53) myself which is located underneath the vehicle near the DPF. this solved my problem!
W2HMH, what led you to suspect the differential sensor?

Skippy

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
'98 E320
SkippyJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

The Mrs drove it to work with the CEL on, but normal power. It's a 15 mile trip at highway speed. The CEL was off on the return trip.
I took it out after dinner. It's about a mile to the entrance ramp, then I went to 75 and set it on cruise.
I monitored the 'miles to empty' display which went from 305 to 295 by mile 4 and then steadily rose. I turned around at mile 10ish and the display was at 380 when I pulled into the drive at home.

Skippy

Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2013
Have you replace the crankshaft position sensor?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
geebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #15 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Skippy,
I drive my ML hard all the time. 5 x 120mi round trip for a weekly commute of 600mi 85% of which is at 70mph+. With this in mind I just couldn't understand how the DPF could be clogged.....if anyone is heating this thing up and blowing it out....I must surely be one. I researched the DPF system's operation and discovered that there is a pressure differential sensor between the input and output sides of the DPF...this must be how the computer senses that the DPF needs to be cleaned or if a cleaning cycle does not fix it: BAD.....what if the sensor is bad?...I gambled for $53 and won.
1987 300D 280,000 mi (sold)
2008 ML320 CDI 190,000 mi
1991 350SD 167,000 mi
w2hmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #16 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2009 ML320 Bluetec
Quote:
Skippy,
I drive my ML hard all the time. 5 x 120mi round trip for a weekly commute of 600mi 85% of which is at 70mph+. With this in mind I just couldn't understand how the DPF could be clogged.....if anyone is heating this thing up and blowing it out....I must surely be one. I researched the DPF system's operation and discovered that there is a pressure differential sensor between the input and output sides of the DPF...this must be how the computer senses that the DPF needs to be cleaned or if a cleaning cycle does not fix it: BAD.....what if the sensor is bad?...I gambled for $53 and won.
Excellent reasoning and diagnosis. Plus it wasn't really a gamble because anyone putting a $3000 DPF in the truck would probably insist on replacing all the related sensors just the same as they would replace the gaskets.

I haven't seen the details or heard for certain but have heard from several sources that Ford has an off-vehicle DPF cleaning procedure. But the labor is enough to make the process a gamble. Replacement is the safe bet.
N4HHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

I like the logic and it sounds like it worked. Anything obvious with the old sensor once you had it out? Burned, rusty, cracked, etc?
I appreciate your time on this.

Skippy

Old 07-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #18 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebra View Post
Have you replace the crankshaft position sensor?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks for the thought.

I believe it was replaced early on in its life. Truck grew up about 150 miles from my location.
The records I have do not show this, but my local dealer said it was performed.

Of course the next question would be 'what is expected life of a CPS?' On the W210 gassers it's 100K miles.

Skippy
Old 07-16-2013, 10:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyJasper View Post
I like the logic and it sounds like it worked. Anything obvious with the old sensor once you had it out? Burned, rusty, cracked, etc?
I appreciate your time on this.

Skippy

Skippy,
Nothing obviously wrong with the sensor (not cracked, burnt, rusty, etc.)...however now that you have opened the door....there was a fresh bright red mark drawn across the sensor label (looked like it was from a Sharpie)...I have no proof, however I am very suspicious that the bad sensor was identified (the red mark) and the dealer chose to tell me to replace the DPF...bad call on their part.....I have since provided feedback to MBUSA who in turn had the dealer contact me. Without going into too much detail here, as this story has much to tell, the dealer(Intercar, Newton, NJ) knows he did wrong and that he has lost a customer for good.
w2hmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
BenzWorld Extremist

Yikes!
I'll take a look at mine and let you know if there's a line on it. 😏
The EPC shows an updated sensor (i.e. replaced by .....).
I'm thinking of paying for a days worth of WIS to get the diagnostics on the DPF system. I read another posting where the 'temperature' sensor for the DPF was replaced which cured a problem.
Skippy

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class