Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Transmission service

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  timeonli 
#1 ·
After some debate with myself, I went ahead and had the tranny serviced last week with the oil change. I had had it serviced at about 41,000 and now have 93,000. I can report that I can tell a difference in the smoothness of the shifts and post this for others on the fence like me. I just can't believe it could be done once at 40,000 and then forget it. I do pla to put many more miles on it so it was worth it to me.

#2 ·
Thanks for the info. I've been asking myself the same question...actually started a post about it a while back. Anyway, we plan on keeping the ML for a few more years and I will probably do it soon as well. Current miles are at 82K. BTW, what's the going rate for the service these days? Had ours done at 40K miles years ago and I believe it was around 350-400.00.

#5 ·
Same here. Bought mine with just over 40k on it 18 months ago, now close to 80k. Question for those who had it done...did you have it done outside the dealership? Im not sure what types of service are better done at the dealership and what is fair to have done at a general service station. Ive been treated pretty good by my dealer so far. Of corse, I'm sure they'll find some other seal, belt, plug, light etc... that needs replacing.

#6 ·
Speaking only for myself, I feel like the Dealership is the best place for the tranny service. It is a special procedure that is not something independents do too often. And special fluid. For this service I think they are the wisest choice.

#7 ·
For the past 25 years I've only utilized the MB dealer for warranty items. I have found very good Mercedes only independents in the places we have lived.

Had the transmission serviced on my wife's C 350 and was able to stand next to the technician and observe everything - try doing that at a dealer.

Did have my ML 320 transmission serviced at the dealer during their warranty work replacing the conductor plate and valve body. Transmission Issue - MBWorld.org Forums

#8 ·
Are there no DIY's out there to do this? They all say it requires "special" fluid and "special" processes. I've done 2 seperate tranny services on my BMW 540i that called for the same "special" fluids and processe. I went with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF and changed it out the way you would change out any tranny fluid. Shifts like butter and have not had any problems.
I imagine it would be the same for an ML.

#11 ·
The most expensive tool i bought was the MityVac MVA7216 ATF kit. $115 online. All I needed from that kit was the adapter that connects directly to the oilplug hole. Back in 2010 - i had no other options. IR thermometer only costs $26 @ Harbor Freight. The best/convinient tool for filling is the MityVac pump ($90+).

#12 · (Edited)
I did transmission fluid service with help of my friend in a hour. Did not remove fluid from T/C since I was not able to find drain plug from T/C.

I used MOTIVE Brake Bleeder to push the fluid in to the Tranny Pan but there is good youtube video out there where you can make your own Brake Bleeder/Pressure Fluid Extractor without any special skill. To fill tranny fluid you do not need Pressure Guage so you can skip this step to save some time. In fact you can make this in less than a 1/2 hour once you have all parts you needed. I can tell you having Pressure Fluid Extractor is must if you are doing your own tranny servicesince it is hard to push fluid into the pan since drain plug is at bottom of the pan and only way you can push the fluid is using good pressure tank.

I used "Fuchs ATF 4134" ATF(6 quarts) since it is MB Complaint. Great thing about this fluid is, it comes with nice plastic fill pipe. Which you can remove it and it has thread which you can fit into at bottom of the ATF pan's Drain plug and attach 3/8" clear plastic pipe to your pressure tank to fill the fluid. This worked perfectly for me without any hassles. If you buy special tool, it is $30 (Assenmacher Tools MB 722.9 Drive Line Filler Adapter – ATF 129).

Alternatively you may able to insert plastic tube in drain plug all the way up to fill the fluid but not sure it will dripping it out.

Also to check ATF Fluid Temperature, you can buy Bluetooth EL327 OBDII scanner ($11-12 from ebay) and install ANDROID App "TORQUE"($4.95)which will tell you what is the temp. in your Transmission in real time. This is most useful tool I have found so far. It can tell you O2 sensor reading, Check Engine Light code, reset code, Throttle body data and so many other reading which is very useful during any diagnostic and saves your 100s of dollar. After having this tool you will laugh at any mechanics when he talks about him having big computer which you can do most of the stuff using your phone in no time.

#14 ·
Mamin, any chance you could post a of photo of the plastic fill pipe that replaced the Assenmacher tool?
I used "Fuchs ATF 4134" ATF(6 quarts) since it is MB Complaint. Great thing about this fluid is, it comes with nice plastic fill pipe. Which you can remove it and it has thread which you can fit into at bottom of the ATF pan's Drain plug and attach 3/8" clear plastic pipe to your pressure tank to fill the fluid. This worked perfectly for me without any hassles. If you buy special tool, it is $30 (Assenmacher Tools MB 722.9 Drive Line Filler Adapter – ATF 129).

Alternatively you may able to insert plastic tube in drain plug all the way up to fill the fluid but not sure it will dripping it out.

Also to check ATF Fluid Temperature, you can buy Bluetooth EL327 OBDII scanner ($11-12 from ebay) and install ANDROID App "TORQUE"($4.95)which will tell you what is the temp. in your Transmission in real time. This is most useful tool I have found so far. It can tell you O2 sensor reading, Check Engine Light code, reset code, Throttle body data and so many other reading which is very useful during any diagnostic and saves your 100s of dollar. After having this tool you will laugh at any mechanics when he talks about him having big computer which you can do most of the stuff using your phone in no time.

#13 ·
Some of you may find this helpful. We made a video of how we service the 722.9 tranny on a W164 ML320CDI including flushing the oil cooler which the dealers won't do.

We use a simple air lift to refill so no fancy pumps or anything. I use my compressor with the trigger gun and a sports drink bottle as the "special oil cooler flushing tool".

I like improvising!

Reactions: Noodles
#15 ·
Scott52,

I am planning to do transmission fluid change on my R350, I know it is not R class forum here, but I heard ML has similar to R class transmission pan tilted, not parallel to the car body as most other passenger MB cars. All online references to transmission service (including your youtube videos) and WIS mention to make sure the car is leveled to set up proper fluid level.
In regards to sticking level to the transmission pan I would have to raise the rear of the car much more than the front which will be against all "make sure the car is leveled" notes.
How did you approach that in your W164?
There are some posts on forum which says to just level the car and other person I found raised rear to get transmission pan leveled.
Can you or someone else resolve this confusion? In ML class ( and I assume in R class) to properly setup transmission fluid the pan or car has to be leveled?
Thank you.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.