BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2012
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
No front license plate ticket in...

...CA.

My GF got a $114 fix-it ticket yesterday.

The car is newly registered in CA and came from a state that didn't require it, so she doesn't have a mount. There are small holes in the bumper already.

1. Does anyone have an extra front mounting bracket laying around they want to get rid of?

2. If not, what the best source besides a dealer for an OEM fit.

I've been looking at a few on EBay, but it is really hard to tell how it is going to fit the existing holes. Also, there is a curvature to the front ML500 06' bumper that might not work unless its OEM shape.

Appreciate any help you might have!

Mercedes Front License Plate Bracket W164 ML350 ML500 | eBay

MERCEDES-BENZ FRONT LICENSE PLATE HOLDER + CHROME FRAME tag bracket mount bumper | eBay

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Boy the price of a fix it sure has gone up. I got the same one about 15 years ago and it was $10.

The mount fits the curve of the bumper. As I recall there are a couple of hooks and the two screw holes. i didn't want to drill mine so I used tie wraps to attach it to the grill. Hasn't fallen off yet.

07 ML320 CDI, 00 E430 4matic
#3 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:18 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2012
Vehicle: 2009 ML320 Bluetec
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the first one listed is the one you have to have. The chrome second one is optional eye candy to be mounted on the first.

You did check the spare tire compartment? Thats where they generally ship the front plate mount bracket and it will still be there unless a P.O. removed it. Not much point in removing it because there isn't much else one could store there.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 05:27 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4HHE View Post
I think the first one listed is the one you have to have. The chrome second one is optional eye candy to be mounted on the first.

You did check the spare tire compartment? Thats where they generally ship the front plate mount bracket and it will still be there unless a P.O. removed it. Not much point in removing it because there isn't much else one could store there.
Thanks N4HHE.

No bracket in the spare tire area. I emailed the ebay seller and assures it will fit. It doesn't come with screws, so that will be the next step. But he said they can be easily bought at a hardware store. I know I know, I've heard that one before. Always tough to know exactly what diameter and length of screw will fit properly. Especially to match the existing bumper holes.

I'll report back when I get the bracket and post some photos for others.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 07:33 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

For other brands it is pretty easy to find the official parts diagrams online. Only way I know is from a Russian site through Google Translate: 2008 ML320 CDI Front Bumper where it says number 520 is a 4.8x19 sheet metal screw, qty 2. You also need (4) 5x12 screws to mount the plate to the bracket.

Fastenal (thats a link) says the sheet metal screws are $18 for a box of 100 but they don't seem to have store stock anywhere in the USA.

Seriously, you shouldn't have any trouble getting a 4.8 x 19 sheet metal screw. Worst come to worst, go to your M-B dealer. Or use an inch sized screw. You'll get dinged in concours competition but nobody else would know.
#6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 2012 ML350Bluetec, 2013 A200 Exclusive, 2009 ML350CDI(sold), 2003 Aston Martin DB7VV.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
4.8 x19 is an inch sized screw = 3/16 x 3/4 or #10 x 3/4 if you prefer.

I expect you can get a grab kit from your local $2 shop or hardware store, which will have all relevant sizes needed. Most will already have this on the bench already, just a matter of finding them!
#7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 05:16 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 2008 ML320CDI Iridium Silver/Black, NAV, P2 pkg, Sirius, Harmon Kardon. Active Bi-Xenon
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Free site, same as dealers use. Just need credit card for verification

EPC-net Online

2008 ML320 CDI. Iridium Silver/Black MBTex, P2 pkg, NAV, Trailer Hitch. Purchased 3/2012 CPO 133,000 miles
2006 E320 CDI Black/Black, Leather, NAV, Harmon Kardon, HTD Seats, Rear Shade. Purchased 2/2010 CPO SOLD
1997 E300D Silver 304,000 miles SOLD
2000 VW Passat 1.8t Black/Black 390,000 miles original owner still going strong 8/2014
#8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1997E300D View Post
Free site, same as dealers use. Just need credit card for verification

EPC-net Online
Thanks! I had not looked past the sign-on/subscribe before to see the details at Why Subscribe? where it says, "Price: For USA models, the EPCnet is offered at no charge."

Had filed that site away for future research into replacing my shock absorbers. I think they are shot (former F-250 rode better, current Prius rides better) but the shocks are not leaking and the dealer doesn't seem interested in pursuing warranty. And I'm not that sure I want another set of the same that failed so soon.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2012, 09:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks so much guys! Great info on the screws I will need. You are all amazingly helpful!
#10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2012, 05:10 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Hey guys, I just wanted to report back. I got the license plate bracket off EBAY and it works excellent. $16.90 shipped vs. $80 at the dealer.

Also, the screws you recommended worked well on the existing bumper holes.

I had a hard time securing the plate to the bracket, because then it would block the screw to attach to the bumper. So I opted to install one screw, rotate the plate, affix the bracket to the bumper. Then use magic fingers to reach the back of the plate to finish the last 3 screws. I think I can get some better hardware down the road, but it is good enough for now and no more stupid tickets! Looks to be a $25 fit it ticket if when said and done.

Anyhow, highly recommend this bracket and seller. he shipped fast and it fits ML500 perfect: Mercedes Front License Plate Bracket W164 ML350 ML500 | eBay

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class