BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2011
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
2008 ML 320 CDI air filter

Hi everyone,

i own a 2008 ML 320 CDI. i would like to replace my air filters on them, but there is simply no room to get to removing the box cover. It is my first time working on this vehicle. If anyone works on em or has experience replacing air filters on this vehicle, id like to ask you kindly to offer me some helpful advice

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2008 ML 320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have done this some time ago and I can tell you that it is possible to remove the covers without goiing thru all the dissasembly covered in the tech docs. The drivers side is the toughest and requires patience and lots of trial and error. As I recall, the cover has to move forward and then the rear has to be pulled/pushed up to clear the cowl. I made a small tear in the cowl insulation not watcing closely. Just keep working at it and loosen any wiriing bundles or lines that get in the way. Good luck!
#3 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 12:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
According to factory procedure, after element is replaced, STAR DIAGNOSIS is used to reset adaptations.

That is, this is yet another procedure NOT suitable to DIY.

And yet another example to reinforce the point it's absolutely foolish to attempt ANY DIY without owning the factory Service DVD or subscribing at startekinfo.

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/o...tedDocId=11498

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'07 GL320CDI

Last edited by lkchris; 02-02-2011 at 12:46 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadesalot View Post
I have done this some time ago and I can tell you that it is possible to remove the covers without goiing thru all the dissasembly covered in the tech docs. The drivers side is the toughest and requires patience and lots of trial and error. As I recall, the cover has to move forward and then the rear has to be pulled/pushed up to clear the cowl. I made a small tear in the cowl insulation not watcing closely. Just keep working at it and loosen any wiriing bundles or lines that get in the way. Good luck!
I'd be interested to know if you went to the dealer for ''readaptation'' as mentioned by the last poster. If not, can you tell if it runs any different since replacing your air filters, did you get any error messages, or notice any difference in fuel mileage? Perhaps this will shed some light on the importance of the ''readaptation''and whether it can wait a few days or weeks until its convenient to swing by the dealer to have it reset.

1980 450sl traded in
1983 380sec sold
1989 300se traded in
2002 ML320 Gave to Family member
2008 ML320CDI /Full load (inc air susp) minus rear entertainment/ Pewter Silver Black leather

Last edited by Vernl; 02-02-2011 at 01:41 PM.
#5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks guys for your help. I am looking to purchase Service Manual DVD. ( Mercedes Benz Manual - Mercedes Repair Manuals - Mercedes-Benz Service Manuels ). They only have up to 2007 models. I visited local MB dealer hear in Burlington, Ontario. Dealer can get me DVD, but they have no clue if this Manual will cover 2008 ML320 CDI.
Apperently air filter are beeing monitored by ECU module. In regards of addaptation, I know if you install high performance air filter (K&N) you will get engine light 100%. I wil find out from dealer service if addaptation has to be performed after replacing air filter
#6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2011, 05:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 2008 ML 320CDI
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No. Got no messages or change in mileage.
#7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 03:44 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What exactly does "reset adaptations" do? Is that another fancy word for "reset" the service indicator counter on our ECU. Or is there anything more than that?

Anyway, dont expect to get better fuel milage when the air filter gets replaced (at least not immediately). Right away, your engine will rev much quicker and feel a lot more lively. Modern engines nowadays have MAF sensors. Our CDI has 2 of these connected to the "Y" connector before the turbo. The function of the MAF is to measure the volume of air that goes thru them. When filters are dirty, less air travels thru, the MAF detects that and thus tells the ECU to deliver less fuel. The idea is not to make the mixture too rich due to lack of air. When you replace the filters, more air is detected - so the ECU then allows more fuel dispensed (so that the mixture is not too lean).

Not convinced ? - do this. With your engine warm. Try to download one of those free iphone apps that work like a dynomometer. See how fast it accelerates before and after you replace the filter.

If you feel no difference - reset your transmission computer. I can guarantee your right foot will be very happy. When I did this, my CDI felt a lot lighter than it used to be.

#8 (permalink) Old 06-12-2011, 06:49 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20swrt View Post
What exactly does "reset adaptations" do? Is that another fancy word for "reset" the service indicator counter on our ECU. Or is there anything more than that?

Anyway, dont expect to get better fuel milage when the air filter gets replaced (at least not immediately). Right away, your engine will rev much quicker and feel a lot more lively. Modern engines nowadays have MAF sensors. Our CDI has 2 of these connected to the "Y" connector before the turbo. The function of the MAF is to measure the volume of air that goes thru them. When filters are dirty, less air travels thru, the MAF detects that and thus tells the ECU to deliver less fuel. The idea is not to make the mixture too rich due to lack of air. When you replace the filters, more air is detected - so the ECU then allows more fuel dispensed (so that the mixture is not too lean).

Not convinced ? - do this. With your engine warm. Try to download one of those free iphone apps that work like a dynomometer. See how fast it accelerates before and after you replace the filter.

If you feel no difference - reset your transmission computer. I can guarantee your right foot will be very happy. When I did this, my CDI felt a lot lighter than it used to be.

thanks for your reply , I did change air filters, I didn't see no difference in performance, it's still a little bit lazy at start. I would like to ask you kindly , how to reset transmission computer?.

thanks for your help

zkzkd
#9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 83 300CD, 07 ML320 CDI, 04 WRX, 86 300D (totalled by my neighbor), 85 300D (sold)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
This is done best when engine warm - so you can test the performance right after this procedure. Do this with the doors closed.

Reset procedure:
1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset

Did you notice the engine sounds a little more "throaty" when you accelerate?

Last edited by 20swrt; 07-29-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class