BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2010
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What's acceptable delivery mileage?

All,

I recently ordered a new ML350BTC which had to be shipped from another dealer. Home dealer traded one of their MLs for the away dealer - basically their car rolled off truck and my car rolled on.
Today I went to finally pick up vehicle after prep, docs etc have been completed.

To my surprise (and the salesmen whom I had purchased from before) during the inspection, the car had 307 miles on it.
I have purchased many new cars in the last 20 years. All have had under 30 miles. I'm pretty picky about buying new because that's what I'm paying for - a new, unblemished, car that I break-in the way I want and know the history from day 1.

The car has a paint chip on the hood and a cm long scratch on the front spoiler. A bummer really as I am admittedly anal about my cars, also keeping a driver's log in each car. The sales manager got involved and is going to contact the originating dealer for an explanation. I told them despite having the desired color and options, had I know the car would have came with that much mileage, I wouldn't have taken it.

I'm not sure how best to address this as I wanted a new car not one close to new. Besides given the originating dealership's failure to disclose mileage, I have no way of knowing if the car may have been hit, in an accident, driven hard for the first 300miles.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on what to do next would be very welcome.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:14 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
I read the title of your thread and formulated my own answer before reading...That was 50 miles...Interesting...The idea of a new car is that you were only driver...Should only really have miles on it to get to dealership and I suppose some test drives.

Maybe someone borrowed vehicle for the weekend to test drive and put the miles on it...

ScottB
#3 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Something similar happened to us with an Audi back in 2004. My wife had a company car that was to be turned in so we were buying her a new A6 2.7T. It came to our dealer from another dealer's inventory. It had nearly 700 miles on it when it got here. Our salesman was stunned and called to tell us. The sending dealer finally admitted it had been loaned out to a service customer. My salesman and I could not find anything wrong with it. Not a blemish anywhere. He said we didn't have to take it but they would re-price it so we would be happy. So we negotiated a new price and what had been a good deal turned into a great deal.
We had a trip to make so we took the company car instead of the new one since we had it for one more week. Our trip ran just over 600 miles so we figured we came out OK.
I don't think we would have taken the new car with cosmetic issues- unless they could make satisfactory repairs and cut the price even more.
Good luck resolving your dilemma.

BillM
#4 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiW164 View Post
All,

I recently ordered a new ML350BTC which had to be shipped from another dealer. Home dealer traded one of their MLs for the away dealer - basically their car rolled off truck and my car rolled on.
Today I went to finally pick up vehicle after prep, docs etc have been completed.

To my surprise (and the salesmen whom I had purchased from before) during the inspection, the car had 307 miles on it.
I have purchased many new cars in the last 20 years. All have had under 30 miles. I'm pretty picky about buying new because that's what I'm paying for - a new, unblemished, car that I break-in the way I want and know the history from day 1.

The car has a paint chip on the hood and a cm long scratch on the front spoiler. A bummer really as I am admittedly anal about my cars, also keeping a driver's log in each car. The sales manager got involved and is going to contact the originating dealer for an explanation. I told them despite having the desired color and options, had I know the car would have came with that much mileage, I wouldn't have taken it.

I'm not sure how best to address this as I wanted a new car not one close to new. Besides given the originating dealership's failure to disclose mileage, I have no way of knowing if the car may have been hit, in an accident, driven hard for the first 300miles.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions on what to do next would be very welcome.

Thank you.
I ordered my current ML and waited 4 months to get it. If it had 300 miles on it when they tried to give it to me i would have refused delivery. Mine had 2.6 miles when I drove it home. I dont blame you for having doubts.Not sure what point you are at in the deal, but you seem pretty fussy, as am I, so to you might be happier with a different vehicle. I suspect, given your post, that even if they give you a big price break and did the paint touch up, you would always feel unsatisfied and taken advantage of.

1980 450sl traded in
1983 380sec sold
1989 300se traded in
2002 ML320 Gave to Family member
2008 ML320CDI /Full load (inc air susp) minus rear entertainment/ Pewter Silver Black leather
#5 (permalink) Old 12-14-2010, 08:09 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the feedback.

I want to be realistic and reasonable here which is why I was seeking viewpoints. I am purchasing a new car and paying a premium to get a new car (versus a used which is offset by depreciation), I thought about what price discount makes sense. I'm satisfied with my price - it was fair, not a steal for either party but I do expect to get what I purchased.

Part of me says being a diesel what's 300 miles but then again why compromise what should be under my control - break-in for example.
#6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 05:20 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2010
Vehicle: 2010 ML350 BlueTEC
I bought a new 2010 ML350 BlueTec from existing dealer stock last month. It had 123 miles when I took delivery. I would guess that roughly twenty miles of that came from my test drive. I had no cosmetic issues.

If I had ordered a new vehicle from the factory and it had more than twenty miles I wouldn't have taken delivery. That doesn't sound like what you did. You asked for an ML350 in color x with options y and z. The dealer simply searched existing inventory and had it shipped from another dealer. My local dealer doesn't use MLs as loaners. The use C class or GLKs. They sell the service loaners as loaners (used) and they typically have ~10k miles on them.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 06:57 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
You are correct.
I spec'd an ML which my dealer found in inventory - 1,000 miles away.
However, had I known at the time the car would be delivered with 300 miles and I wouldn't have taken it. Also, my dealer is upset they weren't informed because as they told me they shipped out a car with ~20 miles. They themselves know that's a lot of mileage. One explanation was the owner of the away dealer (which is a smaller local dealer) may have taken the car for his use. If so, I think that's bad business and shouldn't occur at buyers' expense.
#8 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:00 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '09 ML550, honking great motorhome, M3, PT Cruiser
It is unlikely that 300 miles driving, even if aggressive, has done any noticeable damage, so I would negotiate a deal whereby I accepted the vehicle but at (a) a further discounted price, and (b) on condition that the blemishes were repaired to your complete satisfaction -- in other words, invisible. Your dealer and the original dealer will likely split the discount. Good luck.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
no way i'd take it. considering the premium you pay for buying new and immediate depreciation the second you take it off the lot, you should be getting the benefits from it, which is no miles (or very low) and unblemished from factory.

a totaled car can be refurbed to look brand new and scratch free, but that doesn't mean i'd want it. certainly not at the price of a new car. with one issue or the other i MIGHT be persuaded, but between the two, i'd definitely pass on it
#10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 11:55 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Feb 2006
Vehicle: 2011 ML350 Bluetec
I could swallow the 300 miles on the odometer as long as the new car warranty runs from the day YOU get it. However, having body damage is unacceptable - whether at 300 miles or 30 miles.

2011 ML350 Bluetec | Teronite Grey | Black ARTICO Leather | Avantgarde Package (Parktronic, COMAND APS, Heated Rear Seats, Power Tailgate, Rearview Camera, Blind Spot Assist, Keyless Go, Sports Package) | 20" Wheels | Trailer Hitch | Weathertech Floorliners & Trunk Mat

Past: 2011 E550, 2008 ML320 CDI, 2004 ML500

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class