Premium Gas Vs Regular for ML - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: ML350
Post Premium Gas Vs Regular for ML

In US, it is recommended that we use Premium fuel for ML350. What's the difference in using Regular instead of Premium Gas, what all the issues it might cause?

Any inputs?
Jamesbond_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2010, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
USATODAY.com - Why use premium gas when regular will do?

Premium isn't necessary anymore, but the engines are very highly tuned. I've heard of Mercedes engineers using regular, so it can't be that bad. The main reason for the requirement of premium is that bad gas could cause major damage, and premium is less likely to be bad. Also, the lowest octane gas in Europe, where they are designed, is 95, so our premium is already slightly lower.
Zampolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: ML350
Thanks for the reply Zampolit.

I just noticed there are some threads in the past discussing about this. My apologies for opening a new one.
Jamesbond_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: GL450, R500 traded, ML350 sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zampolit View Post
USATODAY.com - Why use premium gas when regular will do?

Premium isn't necessary anymore, but the engines are very highly tuned. I've heard of Mercedes engineers using regular, so it can't be that bad. The main reason for the requirement of premium is that bad gas could cause major damage, and premium is less likely to be bad. Also, the lowest octane gas in Europe, where they are designed, is 95, so our premium is already slightly lower.
So imagine how bad it is to use regular here in the US since our premium is actually of slightly lower octane levels.
Also, when using regular your motor becomes less efficient.
aggst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
I asked the service manager at the local dealership once, and he said that Mercedes specifically says that they can't use the octane of gas used to determine warranty eligibility because the computer systems on the cars are guaranteed to compensate in the case that you accidentally fill up with it. That said, I use mid range simply for the fact that at the altitude I live in makes it a better mix for the amount of oxygen in the air, and my mileage is actually slightly better as a result. whenever I go to sea level I fill up with premium first.
Zampolit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2010
I thought the same thing, see i got a pre owned 07 ml, and the salesman told me that i can use regular gas. Which was kind of fishy to me because hes the first person who told me to use regular gas. I was always told by friends and family and some research that its usually best to follow what the manual recommends. Im sure that regular gas would work but i feel like if i want my car to last long and treat me well, i have to give it the best of things. Especially with gas. I've also found out that the main benefits of using premium gas is improved gas mileage, cleaner engine, and optimum performance. One of my buddies always uses premium, and one time he let one of our friends drive his car and when they filled it up, the gas man mistakenly put regular in it. He told me that he noticed a difference in power. I didnt get to feel it because i was used to regular gas before i got the ML350. But like they say "take care of your car and itll take care of you".

EDIT: I think that the salesman told me to use regular gas because he thought that i would be discouraged from buying it if i knew that i had to spend money on gas...smh what a tool...i think i knew more about cars than that bloke did.

Last edited by CHRi5; 10-13-2010 at 04:20 PM.
CHRi5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Sep 2008
Vehicle: '09 ML550, honking great motorhome, M3, PT Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zampolit View Post
I asked the service manager at the local dealership once, and he said that Mercedes specifically says that they can't use the octane of gas used to determine warranty eligibility because the computer systems on the cars are guaranteed to compensate in the case that you accidentally fill up with it. That said, I use mid range simply for the fact that at the altitude I live in makes it a better mix for the amount of oxygen in the air, and my mileage is actually slightly better as a result. whenever I go to sea level I fill up with premium first.
I don't understand your logic. The ECU meters the correct amount of gas based on the MASS of incoming air, not the volume (hence 'mass airflow sensor'). A given volume of air at high altitude will have less mass than the same volume at sea level, hence the reason why naturally aspirated engines produce less power at height. But for a given mass of air, premium gas will always produce more power as the ECU doesn't have to retard ignition the way it does with lower octane.

Or is my memory of physics getting rusty in my old age?
roadrutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2005
Vehicle: '07 GL320CDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbond_007 View Post
In US, it is recommended that we use Premium fuel for ML350. What's the difference in using Regular instead of Premium Gas, what all the issues it might cause?

Any inputs?
There's a difference between "recommended" and "specified."

Premium is specified by Mercedes.

It's not just "US," either.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf LiquidJune06Star.pdf (548.0 KB, 154 views)
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrutz View Post
I don't understand your logic. The ECU meters the correct amount of gas based on the MASS of incoming air, not the volume (hence 'mass airflow sensor'). A given volume of air at high altitude will have less mass than the same volume at sea level, hence the reason why naturally aspirated engines produce less power at height. But for a given mass of air, premium gas will always produce more power as the ECU doesn't have to retard ignition the way it does with lower octane.

Or is my memory of physics getting rusty in my old age?
it has nothing to do with oxygen as the OP said, but you are on the right path here talking about volume and mass. essentially at higher altitudes, air pressure is lower, and compression is therefore lower inside the engine, which means that high octane isn't necessary. it wouldn't result in BETTER mileage using mid grade instead of premium, but it would be AS good
ninjajim4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class