Limp Home Mode - how do you know - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 2001 ml320 and 2006 ml350 (sold)
Limp Home Mode - how do you know

ok...i know it will sound stupid but i have 2006 ml350 with 86k miles...today i thought vehicle went into limp home mode first time ever. made it to work. later that afternoon went to dealer and it drove fine all the way there. they said i probably accidentally hit paddle and locked shifter into gear. they said if it went into limp home mode it would not over rev as it is limited and check engine light would be on....and my check engine light never came on....

My question for you is, how did you know it was in limp home mode?

does it tell you it in this mode and can those who have confirm that it deed indeed turn on check engine light? Thoughts?

I read all posts re limp home mode and it appears it could be valve body assembly on high end to fuel pump sensor, egr, or maf on low end.

Or maybe i had a senior moment at age 43.
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2008
you didn't really describe what you experienced. if you've ever seen a car in limp mode, you know right away. i've never had this on a vehicle of mine, but a friend asked me to look at his Maxima once, and it was VERY clear that the computer is cutting off the revs. his car went up to exactly 2.5k rpm on the button and would not go past. in his case it was a MAF like you said was a potential cause, and there was no CEL.

i don't think i buy the paddle shifter idea. it won't let you redline before autoshifting
ninjajim4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

It happened again today. Car just has no acceleration even though engine is revving. So engine goes but car does not. It was not in limp mode as rev's were not limited. So clearly something else is the matter. I wish I knew what. I pulled over turned car off and back on and then it was fine. Well at least until it happens again.
scottbordo@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Mar 2010
Vehicle: 2008 ML550 164 Engine 2739 Trans. 7229
Lifetime Premium Member
Send a message via MSN to marinerbcfc
i can understand when you know/see something is wrong but do not know what?
i have been using this CarChip/pro for sometime now, before any mods. i like to keep a record of engine performance parameters and even can reset check engine light , reads any and OBD codes. very good price as well.
by the way i have nothing to do with that company nor any product marketing.
Davis | CarChip Products

while on the subject in any control process/system there is errata that might not show an OBD code, and for that it would help using the reset engine light feature " i do it twice a year" even if the light is not on and there is no codes. hope that would help
Old 07-15-2010, 05:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

i just got estimate today to repair...needs new valve body in transmission. they want $2500...i think i will get part sent to me for $900 and fix myself...
Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Will Moderate For Cigars

Date registered: Apr 2005
Vehicle: 2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbordo@hotmail.com View Post
i just got estimate today to repair...needs new valve body in transmission. they want $2500...i think i will get part sent to me for $900 and fix myself...
A common problem with these. That was the first failure on mine at 46K.
If you DIY, how do you intend to refill the fluid and check for proper level? Also, I think the dealer has to program it with their Star-Tek computer. It looks to me like you're stuck letting the stealer do it.

I also noticed you didn't mention the control module. That usually has to be replaced along with the valve body.

Last edited by cmitch; 07-17-2010 at 05:11 AM.
cmitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

I have mbusa repair dvd and dealer estimate indicates the exact part#that has to be replaced. The ecu and valve body are one unit on this one. P#220-270-27-06 is updated part# is named "electrohydraulic control unit". THey really are one combined part. I also spoke to folks at below and gave them my vin that this is correct part of many versions of ecu for my vehicle.

https://www.getmercedesparts.com/oem...des-parts.html

My read of diag part of manual concurs with dealer diagnosis. But there is risk if i do the job that if they were wrong that i am wasting my time and money.

I would post instructions but it is copy righted material and i want to honor copyright. Just me but, I like to use these forums to get sense of what goes wrong and other fun stuff not to exchange copyrighted stuff.

It is very easy job. unbolt pan, remove filter, unbolt ecu/valve body, reverse. I would leave overflow in place and tip back method to drain and remove pan. Manual indicates size of stream outflow after pumping in 6 quarts that is full. I would probably use small hand pump with slightly smaller outside diameter tube inserted into overflow tube to refill.

Manual indicates that afterwards the transmission needs to be adapted, not programed or coded. I would therefore be taking a bit of risk that car would not run. I have a feeling it will be fine, and i simply need to do gas pedal press down thingy to reset.

Since I am currently still finalizing dialogue with dealer on who will pay I will firm up the charge for "adapting". The way i look at is that I will have $1k in for parts. Even if i have to tow to dealer and pay $100 for coding I am saving $1300. After I paid $700 for them to replace front sam to make my washers spray, mbusa and dealer said they would work with me on the next repair. So If I can nego them to between $1000 and $1200 I would let them do the job so i have 1 yr warranty and their risk that it is right job to do.

The other dilemma is that since I removed, cleaned and reinserted the 5 pin connector 2 days ago it has not acted up. So you never know it could have been that. I know doubtful. But i had random misfires on both 2001ml320 and 2000ml350 and all it was on both was needing to reseat plug wires to coils.

Keeping this vehicle means some continued worry about balance shaft failure. But the boss (wife) says fix it this one last time and any other big repair and it gets dumped. I don't think she understands the nuance that since the problem is intermittant i could trade now and save the grand. But then again maybe she does and she is right and i should keep.

cmitch, pm me if you want your # and I can call you back if you want to chat more...It is a dilemma as I as looking at 4 door infiniti before i bought this one. But my family snowboards and I don't want roof rack on for the long minn winters.

Last edited by scottbordo@hotmail.com; 07-17-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class