Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML350 Studded Running Boards

28K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  MWG 
#1 ·
1. If a 2010 ML350 comes with running boards, is it easy to remove them if you choose to do so at a later date and will the ML350 look just like those that did not come with the running boards?

2. A dealer is getting in an ML350 that meets all my requirements except it does not come from the factory with running boards installed. THe dealer wants $1500 to install them. This seems high to me. Thoughts?

3. If the dealer puts them on, will it look exactly like if the factory did and if the answer to question 1 is yes, will I also be able to remove them if I choose to do so in the future if the dealer puts them on?

4. Lastly, can you get these running boards and put them on yourself?

#2 ·
No
High
Yes
Yes

They can be installed later, but it is not simple. There are trim pieces that need to go on after the boards are removed (and vice versa). Many of the retainer clips have one life. It can be done, it will look factory either way, but it is not simple to do. I bought a set from MBZ for $761.00 and, without instructions, installed them myself in about 3 hours and 2 beers. If I can....

Also, if you search you'll find quite a bit of stuff. Good luck, Brian

#3 ·
1. Yes you can remove them. You will need the lower plastic peices to cover what you remove though. In other words, if you buy then ML without and you want to install OEM running boards, you will have to remove the in place covers to accomodate the new running boards.
2. That seems a bit high, but most say dealer gets around 800-1000 for the running boards and a couple hrs labor.
3. Yes it will look like factory installed boards. They are OEM boards, just not installed at factory.
4. Yes, I have been looking for either a used set or a discounted set from a MB dealer. They are a bit expensive, but my kids could really use the extra step. Search this forum for more info on the running boards. I believe there is even a DIY step by step as well.

#6 ·
If the car comes w/out boards, it has a plastic lower rocker panel molding that pops off and is replaced by the running board. It takes a special tool to do this without breaking the tabs off, thus rendering the rocker molding unusable.
If it has boards and they are removed, the rocker plastic can be purchased for installation.

Best bet, by far...decide now if you want them or not, and buy accordingly.

#7 ·
Quite frankly I think they are worthless. My ML550 came with them as standard and could not be ordered without them. I find them difficult to clean as dirt gets ingrained in the aluminum and they serve no useful purpose at all. I step over them each time I enter or exit the vehicle and they are not even deep enough to place your foot on should one wish to use them as a step.

#10 ·
I'm sure they would be wide enough for a child foot. That is the main reason for me to want them. Our 3 and 6 yr old have a hard time climbing in and I'm sure the boards would help alot. I do feel they would be somewhat useless for an adult unless you would use the roof rack often. And of course, they do look good!

#11 ·
I have them on my 2008 ML 63, and honestly I like them. I do use them to get in and out, and feel as though it saves wear and tear on the outside lower driver's seat cushion (because I am not sliding on it). I also think they look great and do make washing the top of the car convenient.

We are replacing my wife's 2003 ML with a 2010, and she wants them installed (she likes the look).

But it is certainly a taste thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.