Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Consensus on best/quietest tire?

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  zak 
#1 ·
Is there any general consensus on which is the cushiest/quietest tire for the ML-350?

#4 ·
ikchris is right. Alot of people make the mistake of thinking that the 60k mile life of the tire is also a term of performance length. When in fact, most tires perform to a 100% of thier ability for about the first quarter of it's life, after that, the performance aspect of tires drops off really quickly, although the tread will last for that 60k mile warrentee. As tires heat up and cool down, expand and contract over and over they get harder and brittle, so they really lose their ability to absorb impacts and isolate road noise pretty quickly. Even thought the tread life is still plentiful. That's why they are starting to use more and more silica in the rubber compounds these days.

#5 ·
I could make an argument that a tire actually improves some aspects of its performance as it ages, on the grounds that as the tread wears down there is more rubber to make contact with the road. This would improve dry road grip, although it would obviously degrade wet grip. I won't disagree with you about tires becoming harder and more brittle as they get older, although the actual amount by which this happens is very small; I can't imagine it making any noticeable difference to the tire's performance. My personal experience is that tires generally become noisier as they age, but I have always attributed this to the greater contact area.

#6 ·
roadrutz;3824097 said:
I could make an argument that a tire actually improves some aspects of its performance as it ages, on the grounds that as the tread wears down there is more rubber to make contact with the road. This would improve dry road grip, although it would obviously degrade wet grip. I won't disagree with you about tires becoming harder and more brittle as they get older, although the actual amount by which this happens is very small; I can't imagine it making any noticeable difference to the tire's performance. My personal experience is that tires generally become noisier as they age, but I have always attributed this to the greater contact area.
Yes, the key is to differentiate the effect of aging versus wear. Racers are well aware of impact of less tread depth on traction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.