Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

C-Rod question/comments.

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  MB-SV 
#1 ·
In my 06 ML500 when shutting down the engine (no Keyless go) the trans automatically shifted to park if it was shut off in "D" or any other gear. Now with the 2010 ML550 with keyless go it will go to neutral but not park. When using the Key and the same thin is done it will go to Park. In 2010 the chime for park is gone and the shifter solinoid id completely quet so there is no audible sound at all when entering Park. I found myself on one occassion shutting down in Drive using the keyless go button and finding the car in N. This could potentially cause an issue for anyone not familair and doing this. Any comments??

#2 ·
yeah its stupid how it goes into N..... i sometimes turn off the car and press the park button(but not hard enough i guess) and as im getting out the car starts to roll backward.

mercedes is full of penny pinchers, they'll save on the smallest things. even tho its kind of a big deal to the customer

#5 ·
If shutting the engine off with the Start/Stop button, one also has to open the drivers door for it to go into P. That should be covered in the manual.

blurb from M-class Interactive Online Manual:

"If you switch off the engine using the Start/Stop button and open the driver's door, the automatic transmission automatically shifts to park position P."

PS. There's no change in the MLs I drive (2006 ML320, 2007 ML320, 2009 ML320). I usually switch the engine off in D with the key, and then remove the key, which puts it into P automatically.

#6 ·
Yes I know that happens when using the key, same as my 06 without keyless go. The big issue is that there is no audible sound to indicate it is in park and with the new quiet solinoids you can't hear the shift. This forces one to visually check the MFD for the shift position. If you could hear the solinoid or the chime like my 06 there would be no issue. Having to open the door for park to be auto selected is piss poor as by that time you could roll into another vehicle. As for using the parking brake, yes you should but how many people do that. I usually do not.

#7 · (Edited)
lnteresting...........

l have never shut down my vehicle in anything but "P"....When l pull into a parking spot or into my garage, l pull up, stop, push my tranny button..watch it go into "P", then l press my "keyless go button".............l imagine..it would be easier to shut down the vehicle in any gear..but l never have !!!!! "Sorry "S"...l'm an easy guy"....This new 2010, is the finest vehicle l've owned to date !!!!!!

#8 ·
Feel the same way about mine as you do. It just bothered me a little that there is no audible sound when it goes into Park. They did such a good job quieting the shifter solinoid that the chime had it still been there would be nice to have.

#10 ·
In my case it was just my brain out of gear one time. That's how I found out.

But you do sort of raise an interesting point: If you find out that the tranny automatically switches to Park when you open the door/switch off/whatever, what incentive do you now have to put it in Park yourself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.