Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

regular diesel instead of low sulfur

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  drivbiwire 
#1 ·
Hello
is there any damage caused by using regular diesel in a 2007 ML320CDI ?
thanks

#2 · (Edited)
Not even sure where you can buy the ''old '' higher sulphur diesel anymore...but the answer is Yes...you will plug up your paritculate filter and perhaps your cat. In Canada its been outlawed here for several years and you can't buy any diesel in this country except ULSD.

#3 ·
If you hate your vehicle or wish to fatten your MB dealer use the high sulfur, low quality diesel fuel. It is NDG, specially for your MB late model engine.

#4 ·
As stated above old diesel is really hard to find in the US. Are you certain it was high sulfur and not that someone just peeled off or forgot to put the ULSD sticker on the pump?

At this point if you've driven the tank through the potential damage is done (as stated the danger is plugging up the particulate filter)

If you've driven the entire tank through the vehicle, oh well, just keep driving and there still is a good chance you are fine. If you still have fuel in the tank you can decide whether to 1) drain it or 2) continuously dilute it with ULSD.

#5 ·
In the south anyway, the higher sulfer is easy to find. There are at least 2 stations within 5 miles of my house that have it. A random stop at a station on a recent trip to the Carolina coast found only the higher sulfer available. I don't buy it unless I see the sticker.

#6 ·
Contrary to popular belief 500ppm is no longer sold or produced for any road use. The risk of cross contamination is too high and oil companies only pump ULSD to all end users in the distribution pipelines.

The pump may be labeled LSD but in fact it will be ULSD at all retail outlets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.