Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2010 ML350BTC shuddering

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  m110cut 
#1 ·
Hello,
I just purchased a 2010 ML350 Bluetec to replace my 1998 ML320. I immediately noticed a subtle but distinct shuddering/shaking/vibration at higher speeds. I brought it back for servicing. They rebalanced the tires, saying "one tire was an ounce off". They also took it for a test drive and proclaimed it okay.

But, nothing changed - I still feel it shuddering. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. (By the way, I'm not a hypochondriac - my wife feels the shuddering as well and I didn't feel any shuddering while test driving another ML Bluetec.)

Michael

#2 ·
If the dealer did a regular tire balance, it could still be out of true balance. If they haven't done a "road force" balance, request it. This is the most accurate way of balancing the tires.
Our previous Audi Q7 had a similar issue. It would have the slightest shimmy/vibration around 65-75mph. Was quite annoying on the freeway...anyway, the dealer did a "road force" balance and the vibration went away...Just a though. Good Luck.

#4 ·
Have they done a road force balance on the other wheels? If so, alignment is next, or steering linkage/axle/suspension/motor and tranny mounts careful check...

#5 ·
The service receipt says "road force balance all tires". They did not investigate the issue further because they think they solved it with the balancing. Could those other malfunctions really happen on a brand new MB? I'm getting concerned. Thanks for your helpful responses.

#8 ·
Absolutely. About 5 years ago I went to put back my Pirelli winter tires back on for a second winter and 2 of the tires just could not be balanced no matter what. They lost structural integrity and I was told the belts inside had shifted and no re-balancing would ever fix it.

Just this spring I had the same thing happen to one of the Michelin Energy all season tires on my Camry. My mechanic friend made 3 honest attempts to re-balance that tire with no luck. I ended up buying 4 new Toyo Versado LX tires because the Michelins were getting bald anyway. I've driven on the Versado tires for about 20000km so far and the vibrations never returned.

If you're not ready to buy a new tire, try putting your bad tire on one of the rear wheels. You may still hear a slight thumping but the vibration shouldn't be felt in the steering wheel at least.

#10 ·
A bad tire can be identified if it continuously cannot be re-balanced. Not all "bad" tires necessarily mean that they're unsafe to use but for sure you'll get get the vibration and noise.

#11 ·
Quick update - I met and drove the vehicle with the MB mechanic who balanced the tires last week. He explained that, last week, the front left tire was lopsided from sittting in one place too long before it was sold to me. He moved this tire to the rear, rebalanced it, and hyperinflated (38 PSI) all the tires to work out any deformities. He said the tire had rated a "30" with a highest permissible score of "40" for functionality. (Sorry, I do not recall exactly what these numbers refer to.) Anyway, I complained that I still feel the shuddering. He felt it too, though he thought it was better than last week. They agreed to replace the rear two tires with new ones. But, the tires were not in stock, so it'll happen next week. I'll write another update then. Thanks again for all the excellent responses. Your advice was accurate and greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.