Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

3k miles out of warranty $1500 repair bill

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  MB-SV 
#1 ·
My 06 ML 500 is 3k miles out of warranty and now I am getting $1500 repair bill. Has anybody had similar situation and what was the outcome? Need advice what to do?

Two problems:
SRS light came on, took it to service and was told that wiring harness need to be replaced, there is a service bulletin about it, but since car is OoW MB will not cover it. Cost $500

After stopping at a traffic light, released brake and pressed gas; the RPM would go up, but the car would not move forward. The gear indicator was on and transmission would not change gears. After shutting down the car and restarting the gear came on.
Dealer verdict: Transmission problem, needs a new valve body $1000!

#2 ·
l'm not sure.............

about the first problem, but the valve body is a known issue.....Actually it has been an issue since the vehicle (W164) came out.....

#3 ·
out of warranty is out of warranty... they dont HAVE to help you out.. but usually if you purchased the vehicle from that dealer, im surprised they didnt help you out ... even a little..

at this point.. its a little too late for you to do anything.. Dealers are required to take care of problems if it was a RECALL campaign involved.. not SERVICE campaigns...

#5 ·
These are common dealer antics.....I'm sure there might of been an electrical problem, but probably something that could be repaired, but the dealer is going to replace the wiring harness. Oh, and don't be surprised if it doesn't fix it. And if it doesn't, you won't get any money back.

If restarting your car fixed the gear engagement problem, I would drive it around some more and see if it repeats itself. If it does, then you'll need to get it fixed, if it doesn't, than you saved yourself $1000. Oh, and don't be surprised if a new valve body doesn't fix it (it could just be an electrical connection or electrical problem). And if it doesn't, you won't get any money back.

Welcome to the world of the "stealer", oh, I mean "dealer". Find a good independent and never look back.

#6 ·
Thank you everybody for advice. At this point the car is still in the dealer repair shop. This is the same place where I purchased the car new and every service has been done there. They are willing to take some of the cost, I am still negotiating...

#7 ·
In my experience with Mercedes, cooperation after warranty expires is poor. I had a crappy C240 since new that they just kept billing for. Different story with Porsche's out of warranty.

Still certainly worth a try.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.