Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

AdBlue sources for DIY refills

49K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Vortecpwr 
#1 · (Edited)
More information than you really wanted to know...but should know!

Mercedes Benz Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) additive Requirement:
-ISO 22241

Other key specifications for other AdBlue are:
-AUS 32
-DIN 70070

AdBlue® is a 32,5% solution of high-purity urea, used in Euro 4 and 5 vehicles' additional tanks. That permit to reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen (NOx) from the exhaust of diesel vehicles, by SCR technology (selective catalytic reduction); about the 85% of thes emissions are converted by catalytic reaction into benign nitrogen gas and water, not dangerous for nature.

In the beginning AdBlue® (that can be also called "AUS32", Aqueous Urea Solution 32.5%) must respect some standards: DIN 70070 (quality standard) and DIN 70071 (analytical standard). DIN means "Deutsches Institut fur Normung".

-ISO 22241-1 Quality requirements, specifies the quality characteristics of AdBlue needed to operate the SCR system on your vehicle. It is a final, published International Standard.

-ISO 22241-2 Test methods, specifies test methods required for determination of the quality characteristics of AdBlue. It is also a published International Standard.

-ISO/DIS 22241-3 Handling, transportation and storing, describes how to deal with AdBlue in practice and in its content is much like the CEFIC Quality Assurance Guidance Document.

-ISO/DIS 22241-4 ISO/DIS 22241-4 Refilling interface, describes elements pertaining to refilling components.

Last two ISO are a 'Draft Industrial Standard', and will be published soon.

To assure a good working of AdBlue® storage and dispensing systems and of vehicles with SCR system, it's very important to use only AdBlue® products that match with ISO standards

At the moment the used standard for AdBlue® is ISO 22241 2008/9.

Per Mercedes maintenance Manual Page: 13 "Emissions System Maintenance":
Only use AdBlue® complying with
ISO 22241. Do not add special additives to
AdBlue® and do not dilute AdBlue® with water.
Otherwise, the BlueTEC exhaust gas aftertreatment
system could be damaged.
For the DIY servicing I have found a wide range of prices for the AdBlue or "Urea" additive. From my local dealer the price for 2 liters is $11.00 USD. They will not sell it in bulk ie 5 gallons at a time but only with a full service and even then are unable to break it down on a per liter basis for just the AdBlue additive.

DISCLAIMER: Improper filling and contamination of the AdBlue system WILL result in failure and EXPENSIVE damage to the emissions systems! Any attempt to repair, refill or tend to the system MUST be done with every reasonable measure to insure not external contaminant enters the AdBlue system! NEVER mix anything with the AdBlue additive! The system detects actual NOx output, therefore additive with ONLY the appropriate ISO 22241 Approval can be used to insure proper dosing of the catalysts. Diluting the additive WILL result in damage to the catalysts and a very expensive repair bill.

With that said, here is a listing of suppliers of the AdBlue additive:

http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/genuine-part-urea_934647.html

IMPEX SKU # 934647
GENUINE PART
"Diesel Exhaust Fluid"
Compliance Standards:
-ISO 22241
-AUS 32
-DIN 70070
-ALDEHYDE FREE

Composition: UREA
OEM part number VW/Audi: GUS-052-910-A3 / GUS052910A3 )
OEM Mercedes Equivalant part Number: 004-989-04-20-12
List Price: $14.85 :: Impex Price: $12.83
Verfied to be a quantity of: 9.46L / 2.5 US GAL

NOTE: This can be purchased at any local VW/AUDI dealer
I will continue to add to this as I find more suppliers.
DB

See less See more
#7 ·
AdBlue Pricing

I live in MN, just called VW and they quoted $8 for 0.5gallon, then Mercedes who said it was $9 for the same. My GL has a 9.5 gallon tank but at 10,000 miles should only need 7gallons to fill it up (according to the dealer). Nice video on you tube shows how easy it is to do youself (about 4mins in).

Dealer quoted $250 to fill the tank at the 10k service, so even if I buy it in 1/2 gallon jugs saves $170.

#8 ·
I live in MN, just called VW and they quoted $8 for 0.5gallon, then Mercedes who said it was $9 for the same. My GL has a 9.5 gallon tank but at 10,000 miles should only need 7gallons to fill it up (according to the dealer). Nice video on you tube shows how easy it is to do youself (about 4mins in).

YouTube - Mercedes-Benz AdBlue Technology

Dealer quoted $250 to fill the tank at the 10k service, so even if I buy it in 1/2 gallon jugs saves $170.
Great video (from Europe) buy the DEF for $14 for 2.5 gals and a funnel to make it easy. (that's $2.8 for the 1/2 gallon). My R Class does 10,000 miles on 5 gals of Ad Blue (DEF).
Exactly the same ISO number - the dealers (MB,BMW & VW) are just trying to make a huge profit on those 2 liter bottles.

#9 · (Edited)
$22.00 Ad Blue refill

Today I purchased two, 2.5 gallon jugs at Autozone for $11.00 each.
I also bought a 1 liter bottle from The VW dealer for $8.00. I just wanted to try the official bottle with the no spill neck, The official bottle worked great. I used about four gallons altogether.
I broke the lock on the neck of the official bottle so I can refill it from the 2.5 gallon jug and make topping off the reservoir allot cleaner next time. It would be great to get the no spill neck fitting on the 2.5 gallon jug. Hey for the money I saved I don t mind the extra step.

#10 ·
+1 on this I did the same thing after buying a 2.5 gallon jug at a truck stop. Then I found it for $11.50 at Wal-mart...I highly recommend using the official bottle but filling it from the larger container. You DO NOT want to spill the Adblue as it will cause electrical issues with connections at the refill point and cause a mess in your MB.

Today I purchased two, 2.5 gallon jugs at Autozone for $11.00 each.
I also bought a 1 liter bottle from The VW dealer for $8.00. I just wanted to try the official bottle with the no spill neck, The official bottle worked great. I used about four gallons altogether.
I broke the lock on the neck of the official bottle so I can refill it from the 2.5 gallon jug and make topping off the reservoir allot cleaner next time. It would be great to get the no spill neck fitting on the 2.5 gallon jug. Hey for the money I saved I don t mind the extra step.

#11 ·
Guys,

AdBlue complies to DIN70070 and ISO22241, and it's regulated by the VDA (German Car Association). Go to the VDA site and check if the producer is listed at this link: https://www.vda.de/dam/vda/Medien/D...nehmerliste/list-licensees/list licensees.pdf
Diesel Exhaust Fluid is exactly the same as AdBlue, but it's regulated by the API (American Petroleum Institute)

You can find many useful info at these links:

Europe AdBlue: AdBlue ® - AdBlue ® Urea

North America DEF: Diesel Exhaust Fluid

#13 ·
Many Pilot Flying J truckstops now have DEF pumps located next to their diesel pumps - on the truck stop side of their facilities. Although I had to wait in line behind a "big rig", I was ultimately able to top off my AD Blue tank at a cost of $2.79/gallon. Since most of the newer Diesel Semi's now require this fluid, the cost and availability are quickly on the way down.

The last time I had my MB serviced (ML350BTC), the charge was $107.00 for 2.6 gallons of Ad Blue, of course that included labor.

Do the math, $107@2.6 gallons.... or....$2.79/gallon at the pump...but you have to rub elbows with the over the road guys.

Easy!

#16 ·
Yes, Peak brand DEF is about $10.88 for 2.5 gallons. However if I could pull into a truck stop, run a hose to my DEF tank, fill, and be done with it then that is a much better value than trying to round up funnel and not spill when pouring out of the box.

So far I have not made one good seal attaching the provided spout to the Peak DEF box.

#18 ·
Yes but the thing is that bottle is designed to be not-refilled. The top doesn't come off non-destructively. I have seen people cut the bottom out and then it makes an excellent funnel with perfect seal at the filler. Wish I had one but not bad enough to pay $25 for 2 liters.

#21 ·
you can unscrew those bottles.

We use the bottles at my dealer due to parts manager is stupid and wont order the 2.5 gallon jugs.

SO IMO go to your local dealer and ask to see if they have a few empty bottles laying around. I have prob 10 around my tool box now where I recently refilled a car and the clean up guy has not taken them out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.