Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

DIY thread collection

191K views 43 replies 29 participants last post by  akowiw 
#1 ·
This thread is to be used for linking to preexisting DIY threads. Please keep discussions to the respective DIY threads and not in this sticky.

A Note from cmitch: PLEASE keep all discussions and questions out of this thread! If you need to make a comment about a particular DIY, comment in the thread itself, not here!
I cleaned out 31 posts that involved questions and discussions. I plan to edit this post later to include an index of DIY's with corresponding post and page number.

#3 ·
#5 ·
DIY Cleaning/Replacing air filters

Attach is a PDF of a Do it Yourself (DIY) changing or cleaning of intake air filter (also A/C Cabin Filter) on a dual intake V6 Mercedes Benz. Very similar procedue on the V8 engines

Attachments

#8 ·
2006 Front Brake Change

The write up on the front brake replacement is spot on- only thing that should be noted is my 2006 ML500 had sensors on BOTH sides- Not sure what years this affects but if you order 1 you will come up short. Dont ask me how i know :)

#15 ·
The brake light repair is a very easy fix. A couple of points that I would add to the DIY:

1. You need two (2) of the repair kits.
2. Be sure to use 22 guage (red) insulation displacement connectors. You will need two (2) of these, as well. Apparently, they are color coded to designate the guage of the wire.
3. Use black electrical tape to wrap the connectors.
4. A 10 mm wrench is helpful/needed to loosen the ground wire bolts.

This really is an easy fix and I really appreciate the ML community taking the time to put this together!

#16 ·
Running Boards Install as per MB

here is what MB uses as their guide for installation, plus the parts list as well

hope this helps

the pics are a bit dark, as it is a scan of a fax sent to me, but this in combination of the one DIY posted already it should assist further in getting these things installed.

Attachments

#18 ·
I just completed the fuel filter and air filter. Some additional tips.

Not every instruction has you remove the firewall panels (one on each side). Do it.

After you loosen the hose clamps to the Y it's just the two reverse torx bolts (each side) and the air box just pulls up and out. Don't forget the electrical connectors.

Re-installing the rear air cleaner bolt on both sides is a pain. Pay careful attention to how it works. It took a board between the wheel well and air box to pry it into position to engage on both sides.

#19 ·
Brake Light Repair Procedure (continued)...

Thanks for the helpful posts from Paul S8 ML350 (post 15)& KY ML500 (post 17) on this matter. =
I recently performed the repair on my 2008 ML350 Edition 10. and the pictures from Paul S8 ML350 were fantastic.
However, this repair can easily be performed with out the use of the 22 gauge (red) insulation displacement connectors.
Paul, you were so close in accomplishing this when you tried using the paper clips to push out the wire pin from the harness.
Most of the Mercedes harness connectors are made with a flap which secures the pins in place (see image attached).
The flap should first be lifted open before trying to push the pin out through the harness.
If the flap breaks off, no worries, just snap it back on when finished and insert the harness into the female plug,\
this is a snug fit and will prevent the flap from coming off.
I used a flat head jewelers screw driver to loosen the pin in the harness socket then used a larger flat head to push it out of the harness.

Once the Violet/Black pin (or Pink pin depending on side) is free, you will insert it into the new repair kit harness.
The repair kit has a plug assembly, with a brown and red wire on one side and green wire on the other side.
Separate the plug, and open the flap on the harness with the green wire on it in slot 1.
Once the flap on this harness is open you can slide the Violet/Black (positive) wired into Slot 2 of the new harness next to the green wire.
Pay attention to make sure the pin is aligned correctly before inserting it.

Now you can secure the harness by closing the flap, and it is ready to be inserted into the plug connecting it to the new brake light socket.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Attachments

#21 ·
MickML350-

Thanks a million for the pin out instructions. I really didn't want to cut the original wire and do a connection...your tip worked perfect. Both sides took a total of 20 min.

Also, I would like to mention, the one side of my ML had the exact same color wire (violet/black), but the other side did not have a pink wire. It was a mustard yellow. I followed the electrical shematics and figured out which was in place of the "pink" one.

#22 · (Edited)
2007 ML 320 CDI HID Bulb purchase and Replacement

One of my HID bulb went out after four year at 107,000 miles, May be as I used the daytime running light it went out early?

Dealer wanted $300.00 for two bulb and $100.00 for labor.

I purchased Maxlux 5000 K, HID bulb (D2C) this works for D2S and D2R from Amazon for $32.89 including shipping for two bulbs. This are made in Korea not cheap Chinese made.

Original removed bulb information is as follows:

Osram Xenarc 35W 66040 D2S.

Need patience to replace two bulb, not difficuelt it took one hour for me. The light is brighter than older one may be due to 5000K?

Attached is the file with instruction.

:)

Attachments

#28 ·
#26 ·
#27 ·
W164 w/ OM642 Engine Video on Air Filter/Fuel Filter Change. DIY:

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#31 · (Edited)
The ML 320 air filter replacement seems to be much more complicated than the ML 500 proceedure. I just performed the air filter replacement and it took me 20 minutes. There are no issues with the firewall or cardboard or leverage required. You will need a T25 TORX driver to remove the filter covers. That is it. You can find the MANN filters online for about $25-$30 delivered. My dealer quoted $121.50. Easy way to save yourself $100. You don't have to be a mechanic to replace the filters. Process I followed:
1. Open hood.
2. Remove front engine cover (lift and pull towards you).
3. Loosen and remove the air feed ducts on both the right and left side of the engine. The are only pressed in place. No bolts or screws to loosen.
4. Remove rear engine cover (this is the larger piece with Mercedes Benz witten on it). This is actually the airbox that holds the air filters. It is secured by 4 clips that press onto 4 rubber anchors. Just use a little cauton and lift up at the points where you feel tension.
5. Take the rear cover/air box to a work table and turn upside down (so you can't read the words "Mercedes Benz").
6. Use a T25 TORX driver and loosen the 4 TORX bolts on BOTH the left and right filter covers.
7. Remove old filter.
8. Be sure to dump any debris into a garbage can. I took the time to vaacume then rinse the filter lid and the air duct to remove any dirt and debris. Please note I did not rinse the air box, which is large and I couldn't be sure all water would be removed from part before reassembly.
9. Replace the air filters. I tucked the orange filter seal into the filter housing. Once the filter cover was replaced - none of the filter edge was visible outside of the filter housing.
8. Replace both the right and left filter covers.
9. Return the reassembled air box unit to engine. Slide the air box back into the engine bay and press the circular opening and seal back over the mass air flow sensor (at rear of engine bay). Then press over the 4 anchor points. When done correctly the air box assembly is firmly secured.
10. Reattach the air ducts on both sides by attaching the lower (close to the radiator) portion of the duct then press the accordian end onto the air box.
11. Replace the front portion of the engine cover.

It took me more time to type this up than it did to actually replace the air fileters. Highly recommened DIY maintenance.

KY ML500

4/20/2013-Update
Here are the MB service docs for the complete procedure:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.