Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Hitch for 2007 ML350 with Air Suspension?

7K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  iggyjoe 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 ML350 with Air Suspension and would like to add a Trailer Hitch to hold a Bike Rack. I won't do any towing, so I don't need any electronics.

However, the dealer wants almost $2K to install it, and the the aftermarket parts I found (Draw-Tite 75376, Hidden Hitch 87755, Reese 44534, Curt 13342) all say that they won't fit vehicles with Air Suspension. I don't think the OEM supplier Oris sells to customers directly.

Any ideas?

Looking at the instructions for the aftermarket hitches, I understand why the air suspension unit below the trunk pan may interfere with the hitch, but how do the factory or dealer installed hitches get around that? How can I get my hands on one of those hitches for less money than what the dealers are asking for (or do they require welding)?

#3 ·
The only suggestion I have is take it to uhaul or pepboys or any standard place that installs hitches. They may be able to provide some after market info if they have ever installed on airmatic. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you were planning to tow, but for a good stable bike rack as long as it does not interfere with the susp, you should be fine with a bolt on type.

#4 ·
Does anyone have clear guidance on what MBenz dealers have to do in order to install the factory/OEM hitch after purchase?

I just bought a gorgeous loaded ML320CDI that doesn't have a hitch and I'd like to be able to utilize that wonderful 400ft-lb of torque to tow sometime in the near future!

#6 ·
the factory kit replaces the rear bumper frame with a steel piece (aluminium factory) also there are large support gussets that run inside the vehicles frame rails, it you look in the spare tire well of a trailer car verses one without you can see the bolts for the gussets, they run about 2 feet into the frame, there is a different rear sam (main control unit for the rear or the truck) and the wiring harness for the hitch, they rate it at 5000 lbs

#5 ·
Factory hitch

I found a 2008 ml350 I liked, the car did not have a hitch, so I was going to keep looking at other dealers, the dealer insisted that they could install the factory hitch, it took 3 return visits to get the lights working, it seems they have to do quite a bit of work, modify the lower rear bumper valance, install the hitch it self, change the rear SAM, and reprogram the computer. It is a lot of work, and very expensive.

#7 ·
I found a 2008 ml350 I liked, the car did not have a hitch, so I was going to keep looking at other dealers, the dealer insisted that they could install the factory hitch, it took 3 return visits to get the lights working, it seems they have to do quite a bit of work, modify the lower rear bumper valance, install the hitch it self, change the rear SAM, and reprogram the computer. It is a lot of work, and very expensive.
From a Mercedes parts manager, for the hitch itself = $800 plus tax, wiring = $156, bumper panel = $555, plus labor. He says around $2,000 total.

#8 ·
I have just installed a used factory hitch to my 2010 ML350CDI with airmatic suspension & no problems at all. As stated previously the factory hitch replaces the aluminium crash bar that fits behind the bumper bar and doesn't interfere with the air tank at all.
I found my hitch on EBay and only paid A$350 with a brand new wiring harness & mounting kit, the bar came off a damaged ML, the insurance claim allowed for a new bar, wiring harness & mounting kit but the repairer only replaced the bar & then sold the whole lot on EBay.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.