Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

For those who HAVE/HAD the jerky Transmission

18K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  Yazovets! 
#1 ·
YES, I've read all the posts about the jerky transmission problem when coming to a stop or at a stop. But have not really heard from the people that had this problem fixed by either reflash of the software or a updated valve body in the transmission, or other anaomly.

What I would like out of this post is to hear from the people who have actually HAD this problem ONLY!!! Please answer the following questions:

Who has had this problem, and has MB fixed it?

What did they do to fix it?

Did it work, or are still experiencing this?

Did this problem just go away after this supposed "self-learning transmission" learned to stop jerking itself?

I have a 2007 ML350, with less than 500kms, just picked it up on Saturday and it started doing this jerking business right off the lot.

#2 ·
Mine was built in March 06, delivered in June 06 and immediately showed the jerky 2-1 symptom. It's so faint I did not care to have it solved. I will do it when I will have my first service (including the oil change) done in approx 6000 Km. I now have approx 20,000 Km on the odometer and never had any other problem requiring a visit to the dealer. So I can only answer one of your questions: it does not go away. Disappointed to see that this problem was not solved in newer cars...

#4 ·
2006 ML350 purchased new in July of 2005 had this problem from the start. The updated flash of the software was tried with no improvement. Appointment with the service mgr and the MB serv rep resulted with the valve body being replaced. This seems to have cured 98% of the problem. As has been mentioned in numerous threads - there are varied levels of correction depending on what is the cause for your individual vehicle. Do not accept this as normal operation. I would recommend getting your service mgr (not your service advisor)involved.

#5 ·
3FIFTY said:
I have a 2007 ML350, with less than 500kms, just picked it up on Saturday and it started doing this jerking business right off the lot.
This is normal. Drive the vehicle normally and let the control module learn your driving style. It will take some time but will smoothen out as the computer adapts.

Only after you've driven it till perhaps 1500 kms, and the shifts are not smoothening out would I bring it up with the dealer.

#6 ·
So is it normal for the car to be jerking when downshifting when it has 13K miles on it? Granted we just purchased this car used, so we have only put 200 miles thus far. But are you saying that the car will adapt to my driving style and the driving style of those in my family? Sounds pretty far fetched to me. Ive read older posts from 2005 & 2006 that the jerky problem has been resolved with replacement of the valve control body and use of new software that prevents a downshift to 1st gear until the car is at complete stop. This jerkyiness when coming to a stop is not acceptable to me and I really dont thinkg its gonna just go away so I will pursue getting it fixed.

#7 · (Edited)
We bought a new ML350 last july.With in 2 days it had a jerky 2 to 1 down shift.I called dealer and they sent a roll back out with a loaner C230 and picked up my car.Dealer was 100 miles away.Simple soft ware upgrade and we have 5000 miles on it now and the down shift is great.No issues since the upgrade.Dealer was Jack Ingram in Montgomery Alabama.I will get my next M- class from them also.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
Have the same problem in italy my car has 23.000 km and changed 3 times val boby and 4 times software. Today Mb dealer called me and show me a letter from Mb they are working on solution........I think they are not able to solve problem, if they don't solve I'll change car with Bmw X5 even if I've heard the tranny is not so smooth as in the past.........

#10 ·
I stumbled across page at the Daimler Chrysler site about the 7G-Tronic the other day and it made a big deal about saying that the 7G-Tronic locks the torque converter even in first gear for greater efficiency. If that's the case, could the jerkiness simply be a characteristic of the transmission? I'm considering an ML320 CDI this fall and all of the talk of transmission troubles has me somewhat concerned.

#12 ·
EricM said:
I stumbled across page at the Daimler Chrysler site about the 7G-Tronic the other day and it made a big deal about saying that the 7G-Tronic locks the torque converter even in first gear for greater efficiency. If that's the case, could the jerkiness simply be a characteristic of the transmission? I'm considering an ML320 CDI this fall and all of the talk of transmission troubles has me somewhat concerned.
I gave my ML 320 CDI 1500 miles to "adapt" to my driving style, and then had them install the flash upgrade. The downshifts are still noticeable and even jerky from time to time. My service tech finally admitted that the 7G was designed to use engine braking (via the torque converter) to reduce the demands placed on the service brakes in stop and go driving. Ultimately, that should mean longer life for your brake pads and rotors. While the owners of non-SUV cars with the 7G transmissions are also complaining about jerky downshifts, the jerking seems to be far more noticeable in the MLs and GLs. Maybe that is because of their extra weight and the effect of the 4MATIC drivetrain.

The simple fact is that it takes a lot of energy to slow a moving 4800 - 5200 lb GVW light truck. From what I can tell, MB's engineers decided to allocate more of that burden to the transmission, and designed it to engage the torque converter and downshift (sometimes quite noticeably), rather than let the vehicle coast until the driver applies the brakes. I can see how they would choose efficiency over silky smoothness, but there must be some way to redesign / reprogram the 7G to find a happier medium. If enough buyers keep complaining, I expect that MB will take action.

That said, I am extremely pleased with how the vehicle drives and performs overall. The CDI diesel engine has been a great choice, esp now that diesel fuel is 50 cents less per gallon than premium gas. (My neighbor was in love with his Lexus GX450, but after driving my car now wants to trade his in on an ML350 or ML320 CDI.) If you order an ML320 CDI, you will (probably) be quite happy with it. Good luck,

#13 ·
gawdfatha said:
...but there must be some way to redesign / reprogram the 7G to find a happier medium. If enough buyers keep complaining, I expect that MB will take action...
Yeah, I would think it would be rather simple software fix to program it to release the TCC when the accelerator pedal was fully released or when the vehicle speed drops below a certain threshold. I'm hoping there will be just such a fix for 08, but even if there isn't, I doubt it will stop me from buying one.

#14 ·
gawdfatha said:
I gave my ML 320 CDI 1500 miles to "adapt" to my driving style, and then had them install the flash upgrade. The downshifts are still noticeable and even jerky from time to time. My service tech finally admitted that the 7G was designed to use engine braking (via the torque converter) to reduce the demands placed on the service brakes in stop and go driving. Ultimately, that should mean longer life for your brake pads and rotors. While the owners of non-SUV cars with the 7G transmissions are also complaining about jerky downshifts, the jerking seems to be far more noticeable in the MLs and GLs. Maybe that is because of their extra weight and the effect of the 4MATIC drivetrain.

The simple fact is that it takes a lot of energy to slow a moving 4800 - 5200 lb GVW light truck. From what I can tell, MB's engineers decided to allocate more of that burden to the transmission, and designed it to engage the torque converter and downshift (sometimes quite noticeably), rather than let the vehicle coast until the driver applies the brakes. I can see how they would choose efficiency over silky smoothness, but there must be some way to redesign / reprogram the 7G to find a happier medium. If enough buyers keep complaining, I expect that MB will take action.

That said, I am extremely pleased with how the vehicle drives and performs overall. The CDI diesel engine has been a great choice, esp now that diesel fuel is 50 cents less per gallon than premium gas. (My neighbor was in love with his Lexus GX450, but after driving my car now wants to trade his in on an ML350 or ML320 CDI.) If you order an ML320 CDI, you will (probably) be quite happy with it. Good luck,
Hi there,

I agree that it will reduce the wear n tear of the brakes. But i think it will increase the wear & tear of the engine. Which is more expensive at the end of day to replace. Engine definately cost more but its lifespan is longer than brakes...

#15 ·
Jerky Trans Report

MY 2007 ML320CDI(AMG pkg) now has nearly 6k miles on it. At first, it jerked a lot, but after about 1500-2000 miles, began to smooth out. 1-2,2-1 shifts on hills or under load still jerk slightly. I drive mine very easy, no NASCAR starts or drafting on the interstate.......results: 22MPG Low/29MPG High. Keep the tires evenly and well inflated, mine are at 45# fronts & rears. AND, ULSD is now $.75 per gallon cheaper than premium here!

My only small complaint: MAF Sensor went out (CHK ENG), took 2 wks to get it, MPG went to 18/24, sluggish!!!!

I love my ML! Looks like, but gets MUCH more MPG at much less $$$ than ML63.....

"Buy More Car, Less Gas"

#16 ·
gawdfatha said:
That's a very poor excuse for a badly designed system. I don't own a 164 but have driven a loaner 350 several times while my 163 was in the shop. The tranny jerk is absolutely unacceptable and I don't give a rat'z azz what MB engineers were trying to accomplish. The bottomline is that the end result is quite annoying, and frankly, unacceptable, period!!!!! I absolutely love the 7 speed box, but that jerk when slowing to a crawl is a turnoff. I have also driven the 06 E350, several times, lived with one for 2 weeks and no tranny jerk whatsoever!!! I absolutely love the new E. Does the 06 E have same tranny as the 06 ML?

#17 ·
After reading about all the problems people are having with there trannys I was a bit worried myself when I orderd my 320 cdi. It arrived at the end of april and has now 2500 miles on it and shifts up and down flawlessly.The only problem I have so far is with the Tire monitor which comes on for no reason. I think you'll be happy with it.Good Luck!

#18 ·
The 7G-Tronic is essentially the same tranny in all the new Benzes with the seven speed. I have extreme doubts that it would take any more than the first three or four miles to adapt. Think about it. Everyone has a different driving style. The vast majority have more than one. For example, 90% of the time you take it easy, only pressing the throttle about a third the way down. The other 10% of the time, someone eggs you on, you get irritated by the crazy chick talking on her cell phone not paying attention to traffic or maybe you are merging onto the freeway. If the transmission adapts to the way you drive 90% of the time, how will it react when you plant the pedal to the metal? I'm telling you, the transmission adapts itself to the immediate driving style. Lets say during the 90% it starts in second, shifts to fourth and then directly to seventh, all at an average RPM of 3,500. Well, if it learns that and one day you decide to hit it, would that not mean that the tranny would shift the same way?

#19 ·
My impression from perusing all the forums is that ALL mercedes models since 1999 with the new modular engines and adaptive transmission have this problem.
I will not let the dealer muck with it since this looks to me like a design problem.
What we need is some lawyer to beat up Merc about this.

The dealer will happily swap parts for you (as long as it is under warranty and you keep whining)

but in doing so might mess up the transmission down the road.

My 2c.

#20 ·
got my truck back AND IT'S FIXED!!!! The valve body repair corrected the problem. I left it there for almost a week and am assuming they did everything to make sure that it was fixed, cause the actual repair shouldn't take anymore than a day.

Have had it back for a few weeks now and all is well. We'll see if it stays that way, i'll post up if starts to act up again.

I think that it has to do with how they set up the truck after they do the valve body replacement. My service department kept it for a week to ensure that they worked all the kins out. I think some of the guys that have had the valve body replacement have a bad service dept or dealer. If they take the time to get it right THIS PROBLEM CAN BE FIXED!!

#22 ·
We have a 2006 ML-350 built in Feb '06 and a 2007 ML-350 built in May '07. The '06 had occasional rough downshifts from 2 to 1 about 10% of the time. Last month the transmission was flashed and it's now very smooth overall.
The 2007 has been extremely smooth from the git-go. Both now shift as smoothly as any vehicles I've ever driven...............
:thumbsup:

#25 ·
I have an 07 ML 320 CDI and have noticed that the downshifts from 2nd to 1st seem a bit rough at times. It seems like the transmission is trying to engine brake, and from what I've read, this seems to be a common occurance. Is this bad for the transmission, or is this just more of an annoyance? I only have a few hundred miles so far...so maybe the car is just getting used to me.

Also, what is better for the longevity of the car...engine braking to save the brakes, or does the engine's longevity benefit from smooth shifting?

Any input is really appreciated...thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.