Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Airmatic Compressor Replaced

13K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  OliverC 
#1 ·
I have Airmatic and have done 7,000km on my ML.
The instrument display showed 'Malfunction' and nothing else. After turning the ignition off and back on, the malfunction display went away. However, I noticed that I could not raise the car on the air suspension, and at times got the message 'Compressor cooling down'. Checked all 3 fuses (2 in the boot and 1 under the hood) and they were fine.
The MB dealer took half a day to replace the air suspension compressor and relay. I believe that there is a recall affecting some MLs, but mine does not appear within the recall list.
Boy, was it smooth again! I suspect that the failure was gradual, and I did not notice it. I did notice over a couple of days that the front dipped slightly and thought that it was my imagination. In 20-20 hindsight, the ride was also kind of harsh. Now I know!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the time being!

#2 ·
I am now part of that select club of (Airmatic Down) too. On Sunday, after I turned the ignition off, a faulty relay kept the compressor running for hours until it fried while burning the main fuse of Airmatic. The long uncontrollable run of the compressor also discharged the battery. Today my Dealer replaced all three components. Meanwhile the car is still at the garage for charging the battery which requires a slow 24 hours charge. I learned today this “New” W164 battery is filled with gel (not liquid). After a discharge the battery must be recharged slowly under 2 Amps max. A higher current will cause the gel to boil and damage the battery. Luckily I have an excellent dealer otherwise all those unexpected runs to the garage will be more painful. My ML is produced in October 05 and did not exceed 11,000 miles (17,500 Km) yet.

#3 ·
Here is an additional update. While driving my car away from the garage it stalled completely in the middle of an Expressway Exit. After every start, the engine dies whenever the transmission is engaged, Drive or Reverse without any warning or alert on the MFC. Luckily I was 600 ft away from the garage. A subsequent inspection determined that the burned main fuse did not do a good job in protecting some integrated circuits around the fuse box. Those circuits may have experienced a surge which made them semi functional and can disconnect abruptly. New parts were ordered... This car stalled under awkward conditions three times in four months. I am now starting to understand the feeling of those who used the Lemon Laws to return or replace the early W164 production models. Unfortunately we do not have such laws in Canada. Hence I am now stuck with it until the end of the warranty. I begun driving MB’s since 1975 and have enjoyed the ultimate experience of driving many excellent models such as 450SEL and S600 and recently E320 4matic. I have never experienced such low reliability in a MB before. I guess I better get use to it.

#4 ·
Additional update. Finally the garage called me to pick up the car. They replaced the whole fuses and relays box which was damaged by the 40A fuse while burning. One minute after driving off the lot, the “Visit Workshop” Airmatic Message flashed again. Back to the garage….At least I drove it for one full minute today.
Here I decided to take control of the situation and manage it my way, regardless the efforts and costs. Hence I will use my knowledge in electronics and experience in electro-mechanic to make this car reliable and confident as a genuine MB should be. The SA and SM are cooperating fully. I will keep it in the garage as long as it takes until every system, electric component or part is checked (then re-checked by me) until it passes the tests. Only then I will drive it and hopefully will enjoy it again.

#5 ·
Is airmatic that problematic? The local dealer didnt have any airmatic equipped demos to drive, but from what i've read on this forum among others is that it is a marked improvement in driving comfort and handling. but if there are consistent problems with it i'd rather not get it (the steel spring demos seemed fine to me).

#6 ·
the thing with airmatic is the compressor is garbage. on a full size ML or GL, you have a compressor smaller then the size of a shoebox controlling the entire vehicles ride height. i had a compressor on a GL fail on me after I replaced a valve block, all because it couldnt fill the system up, the compressor burned up. the system demands more then the pump can put out. the system would be better if there was a compressor for the front and one for the rear. or 4 small ones for each wheel.

also the compressor is always working. when the vehicle is on the higway, the compressor is either relasing or filling the system to maintain ride height. if you are always traveling at different speeds, the compressor wont last long.

#7 ·
sinned81 said:
Is airmatic that problematic? The local dealer didnt have any airmatic equipped demos to drive, but from what i've read on this forum among others is that it is a marked improvement in driving comfort and handling. but if there are consistent problems with it i'd rather not get it (the steel spring demos seemed fine to me).
The Airmatic Ride and Comfort are supreme. Despite all problems I will certainly consider Airmatic or equivalent in the future. My city streets and roads are infested with potholes and nothing can smooth the ride like Airmatic. Streetglower is right, the compressor is undersized, however as far as I know only few cars have experienced a defective system.

#8 ·
jean7of9 said:
The Airmatic Ride and Comfort are supreme. Despite all problems I will certainly consider Airmatic or equivalent in the future. My city streets and roads are infested with potholes and nothing can smooth the ride like Airmatic. Streetglower is right, the compressor is undersized, however as far as I know only few cars have experienced a defective system.
the compressor failure seen at the dealer is high. I have replaced about 10 compressors due to failures. I had a GL with 1800 miles that I was doing the compressor for the second time.

#9 · (Edited)
Airmatic Compressor Replaced Yet Again

I have almost forgotten how really good the ML Airmatic suspension is, even in Sports mode. Just picked up the car from the local MB service centre. Endured several months with a hard ride until the Airmatic malfunction display eventually appeared.

It’s the third time the Airmatic compressor and relay have been replaced in the 29 months that I’ve had this W164 ML. 45,000km on the clock and replacement made under warranty. The workshop folks tell me that it is yet another newer and improved part number compressor. No wonder there's been at least 2 Service Campaigns and 1 TSB on the Airmatic compressor.

I’m keeping my fingers crossed on how long it will be before another Airmatic failure pops up, but I wouldn’t take bets!
Keep tuned in!

#10 ·
I was getting the airmatic malfunction warning on my 07 ML63. Replaced the relay, didn't fix the problem. Replaced the compressor a couple days ago. Worked fine for a couple days. Now getting malfunction again and also had a warning the compressor was "cooling down". Pulled it back off after driving and it's not warm. Greased the electrical connections and reinstalled. The car isn't sagging but the compressor doesn't seem to be inflating the bags. Tried off road setting and raising the car but nothing happens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what the issue could be at this point.

#11 ·
Error with a car shape and arrow pointing up, compressor cooling down

I got a message today on my ML280 with the car shape and and arrow pointing up,after a while it said compressor cooling down,when i started the car this morning I noticed a burning smell???compressor dying maybe.I did go off road last week but drove very slowly on just couple of bumpy parts of the road where the road was made just for one car and I had to give way and go on the rocks but nothing major,now i am thinking that I may have punctured one of the air bags and the lift part of the car looks like is not working.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.