2007 ML320 CDI vs. 2008 "Bluetec" - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: (deceased) 99' ML320, '07 ML320 CDI, '06 Mini Cooper S.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question 2007 ML320 CDI vs. 2008 "Bluetec"

Hi everyone. I'm in the planning/financing stages of purchasing a new M-Class now that my beloved 1999 ML320 has been gone since March. For reasons of money, MPG and environment I'm looking at the new diesel option, and particularly the coming Bluetec model for 2008. So here's my questions:

1. Are we expecting the 2008 models to be substantially similar to the current 2007 M-Class, apart from the usual year-to-year tweaks? Or will the 2008 be a new generation?

2. Is there a list online somewhere of all the gas stations that offer ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel? Is this generally a worry, to determine the difference between regular diesel and ULSD at the pump? What happens if you put the wrong stuff in? (I'm in Maryland between DC and Annapolis.)

3. Will the 2008 models generally make their appearance in October 2007?

4. Besides the Bluetec, have there been any other juicy rumors about changes to the 2008 M-Class?

----

5. And this isn't 2008-specific, but to save money I'm probably looking at getting a base model ML320CDI. I'd like to order it with the Bi-Xenon lights and the trailer hitch, but it's not clear to me from the MBUSA website whether the lighting package requires another package. Yes, I know I could ask the dealership, but if, in reading through this, you should know the answer... 8-)

If there's anything else I should know about waiting and putting in an order for a Bluetec M-Class, please let me know and thanks. -Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2012 ML350, 2008 BMW M3
ML diesels

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimark
Hi everyone. I'm in the planning/financing stages of purchasing a new M-Class now that my beloved 1999 ML320 has been gone since March. For reasons of money, MPG and environment I'm looking at the new diesel option, and particularly the coming Bluetec model for 2008. So here's my questions:

1. Are we expecting the 2008 models to be substantially similar to the current 2007 M-Class, apart from the usual year-to-year tweaks? Or will the 2008 be a new generation?
Yes, as the 3rd year of the model run there will be tweaks, but no major changes. The diesel should get the full BluTec treatment with AdBlue so it can be marketed in CA and the other 4 states where it cannot now be sold.

Quote:
2. Is there a list online somewhere of all the gas stations that offer ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel? Is this generally a worry, to determine the difference between regular diesel and ULSD at the pump? What happens if you put the wrong stuff in? (I'm in Maryland between DC and Annapolis.)
My understanding is that all diesel fuel for on-road use (not marine, train or off-road) must now be ULSD in the US, so any station that sells diesel should have it. Maybe one of the current CDI owners can comment further on their experience.

Quote:
That is most likely correct.

Quote:
4. Besides the Bluetec, have there been any other juicy rumors about changes to the 2008 M-Class?
The new 4.6L gas V8 now in the GL450 will likely replace the old 3-valve 5.0 in the ML. Availability of the larger-engined gas ML 550 or the V8 CDI in the US are speculative at this point.

Quote:
5. And this isn't 2008-specific, but to save money I'm probably looking at getting a base model ML320CDI. I'd like to order it with the Bi-Xenon lights and the trailer hitch, but it's not clear to me from the MBUSA website whether the lighting package requires another package. Yes, I know I could ask the dealership, but if, in reading through this, you should know the answer...
"Build Your Own" lets you select the 319 Lighting Package independent of other packages or options, so I assume it is available separately.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
#3 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 AM
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: (deceased) 99' ML320, '07 ML320 CDI, '06 Mini Cooper S.
(Thread Starter)
Thank you Greg. Waiting for almost a year will be tough, but I think its the right idea for my circumstances. -Gary
#4 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 10:11 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2007 ML320 CDI, 2009 E320 BlueTec, 2003 SL500 and 1992 300TE (Beach Car)
Lifetime Premium Member
Talking 2007 ML320CDI vs 2008..........

Real Answers:

1. NO, all fuel stations DO NOT have ULSD! Most of them actually don't know what they have; some have ULSD, but pumps have NOT been re-placarded and still say LSD. Most PILOT stations have ULSD in the South. ULSD is not priced higher/lower than D2 or LSD.

When I picked up my CDI ML in OCT, it was next to impossible to find ULSD......

2. Every model year sees changes, 2008 will be no different with the ML, however, MBUSA says there are no big changes, other than BLUETEC. If you keep waiting for the newest thing, you'll always be waiting.......

3. Bi-X lights are in the P02 accessory package. Get with your MBZ sales person to spec out what you want. My 2007 with AMG, P02, Hitch, Wood Steering, CD Changer, etc was $59,875.....get what you want, don't regret being cheap!

4. I've owned over 15 MBZ's over the last 20yrs, this is the best one!!

Good Luck!

Quote:

----

5. And this isn't 2008-specific, but to save money I'm probably looking at getting a base model ML320CDI. I'd like to order it with the Bi-Xenon lights and the trailer hitch, but it's not clear to me from the MBUSA website whether the lighting package requires another package. Yes, I know I could ask the dealership, but if, in reading through this, you should know the answer... 8-)

If there's anything else I should know about waiting and putting in an order for a Bluetec M-Class, please let me know and thanks. -Gary
#5 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2000 G500 NMLE, 2014 ML350BlueTEC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon

My understanding is that all diesel fuel for on-road use (not marine, train or off-road) must now be ULSD in the US, so any station that sells diesel should have it. Maybe one of the current CDI owners can comment further on their experience.
Not so. It's voluntary until 2010 when it becomes mandatory in all states but CA where it's mandatory now.

I just received an email from the fuel marketing manager of Flying J. Back in October, they were all gung ho for changing all their locations over as quickly as possible. Now they've slowed down for a variety of reasons - mostly because they don't have to switch until 2010.

Administrator - G-Class Forum - w w w . P o i n t e d t h r e e . c o m
#6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:32 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: MBs
Quote:

4. Besides the Bluetec, ... to the 2008 M-Class?
Careful. The Bluetec SUVs were announced for _calender_year_ 2008 which might be as late as December 2008.

The EPA has not yet finalized the regulations but in a first step recently issued a notice for proposed rulemaking covering diesel SCR.

#7 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 12:56 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 2000 G500 NMLE, 2014 ML350BlueTEC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA931
Real Answers:

3. Bi-X lights are in the P02 accessory package.

Good Luck!

Not so. Bi-Xenon lighting is a separate option #319 at US$900.00.

Administrator - G-Class Forum - w w w . P o i n t e d t h r e e . c o m
#8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Vehicle: 2007 ML320 CDI, 2009 E320 BlueTec, 2003 SL500 and 1992 300TE (Beach Car)
Lifetime Premium Member
Talking oops!

Sorry, this has got to be the first mistake I ever made! Not really, that'll teach me not to trust my memory, eh? Thanks for the sharp eye, Dutch! Anyway, my new CDI ML has 'em (BI-X), and they're worth the $$$$. No wonder it was just under $60k! MY point would still be to order it with what you want, and NOT regret it after the fact.........it's only money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH
Not so. Bi-Xenon lighting is a separate option #319 at US$900.00.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2006, 07:42 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2003
Vehicle: 2012 ML350, 2008 BMW M3
Lighting package

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyA931
Sorry, this has got to be the first mistake I ever made! Not really, that'll teach me not to trust my memory, eh? Thanks for the sharp eye, Dutch! Anyway, my new CDI ML has 'em (BI-X), and they're worth the $$$$. No wonder it was just under $60k! MY point would still be to order it with what you want, and NOT regret it after the fact.........it's only money.
Yes, definitely worth the money with the added steering feature. The only thing that's wierd is the one fog light that comes on when turning at under 25 mph--when my wife pulls in I alwasy think on fog light is out. Why not just turn them both on for cornering? Over-engineering, IMO.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
#10 (permalink) Old 11-29-2006, 11:08 AM
zak
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Vehicle: 2007 ML CDI, 1996 E300D, 1987 300TD, 1984 300D euro, 1967 250SL
Dutch, I am informed that as of 10/06 it is a federal law that stations with one diesel tank system sell only ULSD.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class