Removing the Audio 20 for Ipod Instal. - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2006 ML 320 CDI
Smile Removing the Audio 20 for Ipod Instal.

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have experience removing the Audio 20 ? I want to try installing the MB Ipod Interface Kit myself this weekend. According to many, the most difficult and time consuming part is the removal of the Audio 20, in which you need to remove most of the middle console first.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance.

Steve
Steve (Austria) is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2006, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

So I have now removed the right lower panel, the glove compartment, the ashtray and climate controls, but I cant get the damn radio out! Does anyone know if you need special radio removal tools for the w164 ?? Is there a trick or something, because my radio won't budge!!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

I have successfully installed the ipod integration kit "without removing the radio!" It just was not possible for me to get the Audio 20 out, so I unplugged and plugged the ipod kit from the side and front. More or less blind! In total I spent something like 5-6 hours on this job, but it is now perfect. The ipod fired straight up and the sound is very good. I did not notice any decrease in volume. (5th generation 30 gig.)

With many scrapes and scratches from the sharp plastic pieces, I do not recommend this installation technique to everyone. But I did save myself about EURO 300 by doing it myself. Also, my dealer has never done an ML, so why should he do it right ??

Steve
Old 04-23-2006, 02:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: 06 ML350
Steve,

Do you have all of the integration functionality? If so very good job.

Mike

Mods: Hoen Titanium H-7 High Beams, All Weather H-11 Fogs, 5000k W5W Standing Lamps, Chrome Door Lock Pins & Hood Fins, Brabus Monoblock IV 20" Wheels with Hankook Ventus ST RH06 275/45 Tires, Brabus Custom Suspension 164-016-00 and SS Side Bars
mikenj6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenj6
Steve,

Do you have all of the integration functionality? If so very good job.

Mike
Mike,

Yes the iPod has all of the functionality through the steering wheel controls. Although I did not test it very long today, everything seems to be working fine.

Steve
Old 04-26-2006, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Nov 2004
Vehicle: My Benz: 04 S430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve (Austria)
I have successfully installed the ipod integration kit "without removing the radio!" It just was not possible for me to get the Audio 20 out, so I unplugged and plugged the ipod kit from the side and front. More or less blind! In total I spent something like 5-6 hours on this job, but it is now perfect. The ipod fired straight up and the sound is very good. I did not notice any decrease in volume. (5th generation 30 gig.)

With many scrapes and scratches from the sharp plastic pieces, I do not recommend this installation technique to everyone. But I did save myself about EURO 300 by doing it myself. Also, my dealer has never done an ML, so why should he do it right ??

Steve
Congrats on your IpOD install.. Your decrease in volume is the Kit itself not the IPOD. I know I'm a little late, but if you had left the Aux connection on your command, you could have connected your iPOd dorectly to it, and just hooked up the rest of the wires for integration and saved a few hours of dealing with your command, plus retain your sound quality.
The connection on the command is just for Audio and is redundant. so it's not really needed for integration at all. But, I'm glad to see another happy DIY'er out there who'd not afrqaid to take his car apart to figure out how do do something and save mega$$$..

Congrats
My04230k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2006
Start by removing the leather around the gear lever and then remove the plastic which simply unclips. then remove the cig lighter area, remove the air con controls. Then the hard bit between the air vents are two screws, remove these and the plastic above the stereo will unclip from the bottom. You'll then be able to see the four screws to remove the stereo.

I did this today, took me 2hrs, however I cant figure out the sterin controls, and ideas anyone. and how can i get the song title on the main screen?
Using an Audio 20 not command
shawda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

First question, are you talking about a new w164 ML or an older model ? Secondly, I am quite sure you cannot get an iPod to display in the center display, only in the driver display.
Old 05-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2006
I'm talking about a 2006 C Class, does anyone know how the steering controls should work?
shawda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: '06 ML350; '11 C300
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawda
I'm talking about a 2006 C Class, does anyone know how the steering controls should work?
shawda. Just cruising around in the different sections of the Forum and saw your post: 1) Try posting your question in the W203 C Class section and you might get an answer. You are in the W164 M Class Section of the Forum and you own a C Class Benz; 2) Welcome to BenzWorld and hope this helps.

Last edited by ABenzGuy; 05-04-2006 at 02:23 PM.
ABenzGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W164 M-Class