Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Personal review

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  drkchan 
#1 ·
I just posted a review that I have written on my first weeks experience and initial impressions with our new ML350.

Review Link

#3 ·
AutoSaurus - 7/6/2005 8:54 AM

I just posted a review that I have written on my first weeks experience and initial impressions with our new ML350.
Thank. Jack. I look forward to getting ours at 4:00 PDT today.

So, the trailer hitch package does not come with a plug adapter? By the way, "receiver" is the part attached to the vehicle. The part that slides in is usually called a "ball mount." They are available for $20 - 50 in painted or stainless from many sources. I got a stainless steel ball for mine from a marine supply for about $25; I recommend these because there is no chrome to chip off.

#4 ·
The problem is finding an adapter to fit our utility trailer. However, just a little while ago I got one at a different Wal-Mart.

So, now I have a stainless steel "ball mount", ball, lock for the receiver and a 7 wire RV adapter that gives me a 4 & 6 wire attachment. I'm good to go now!

http://www.trailerwiring.com
p/n 47575

Attachments

#5 ·
Nice review, Jack. Thanks for sharing. I have a few comments and answers to your questions.

Firstly, Distronic, there is a good possibility that it will be offered in the future. Generally MB doesn't introduce all the goodies in the first model year anyway. Even the S-Class did not have Distronic available till the end of the first model year. Note that MB's radar-based Distronic is much better than the laser-based systems as it is not succeptible to dirt or inclimental weather conditions (i.e. fog, heavy rain). Popular Science did a test with the radar vs laser-based cruise control systems and they found that MB's was the best overall.

Secondly, regarding the turn signal stalk being low, it is only sort of low in comparison to the W163. If you try the other MB cars, especially the S-Class, you will find that the positioning is similar. They've probably also partly increased the proximity due to complaints from new customers regarding getting the cruise control/turn signal stalk mixed up; personally it's all intuitive for me, but there has been a MB in my family since the 1980!

Thirdly, regarding the Keyless Go, it's not such a bad deal that you did not get the option. While I absolutely love it as well, the techs at my dealership do not as they have seen problems with Keyless Go cars. Customers can get into their vehicles, but the system will not recognise the keys at all and thus the car does not start, even if one uses the key in the actual ignition. These concerns were mainly with the older Keyless Go systems (with the Keycard) and when they initially switched over to the same-key system. Nonetheless, food for thought.

Lastly, yes, all dynamic auto-leveling Xenon systems have load sensors on the front/rear axles. I can't remember if the W164 does a level test when you turn on the Xenons. Does it? By this I mean the up/down/left/right headlamp range test.

#6 ·
Drew - 7/6/2005 1:14 PM

Nice review, Jack. Thanks for sharing. I have a few comments and answers to your questions.

Firstly, Distronic, there is a good possibility that it will be offered in the future. Generally MB doesn't introduce all the goodies in the first model year anyway. Even the S-Class did not have Distronic available till the end of the first model year. Note that MB's radar-based Distronic is much better than the laser-based systems as it is not succeptible to dirt or inclimental weather conditions (i.e. fog, heavy rain). Popular Science did a test with the radar vs laser-based cruise control systems and they found that MB's was the best overall.
I didn't realize that there were two systems. Yes, mine (Toyota) is a laser based system and does turn off if it detects anything more than a moderate rain.

Secondly, regarding the turn signal stalk being low, it is only sort of low in comparison to the W163. If you try the other MB cars, especially the S-Class, you will find that the positioning is similar. They've probably also partly increased the proximity due to complaints from new customers regarding getting the cruise control/turn signal stalk mixed up; personally it's all intuitive for me, but there has been a MB in my family since the 1980!
True, its a MB thing and I'm just not used to it.

Thirdly, regarding the Keyless Go, it's not such a bad deal that you did not get the option. While I absolutely love it as well, the techs at my dealership do not as they have seen problems with Keyless Go cars. Customers can get into their vehicles, but the system will not recognise the keys at all and thus the car does not start, even if one uses the key in the actual ignition. These concerns were mainly with the older Keyless Go systems (with the Keycard) and when they initially switched over to the same-key system. Nonetheless, food for thought.
Good point. More techies more breakies. [:)]

Lastly, yes, all dynamic auto-leveling Xenon systems have load sensors on the front/rear axles. I can't remember if the W164 does a level test when you turn on the Xenons. Does it? By this I mean the up/down/left/right headlamp range test.
I haven't noticed but I will check it out tonight in the garage.

#7 ·
Hi Jack,

Excellent review!

Distronic will come in October - 2006, that is[:(]. For more details on laser vs. radar Distronic, see Curt Rich's latest newsletter.

The Pirelli's that are on the Apprearance Pack ML's aren't necessarily the same as those reviewed on the TireRack site. The OEM tires are, if you look closely, not M&S rated and are named Pirelli P Zero Rosso "MO" - which may and may not stand for "Mercedes Originale".

I hope that the European navigation system will be superior to the one you get in the US - otherwise I'll have wasted a substantial sum of Euros [8)].

As it is, even with recent CD's, the European Comand is very much inferior to a PDA-based nav system I got from hard discount retailer Aldi for 380 Euros [xx(] I'm currently in the French Basque country, and the PDA takes me EVERYWHERE, where the Comand only has some main roads.

Cheers, and thanks for the review

Birger

#9 ·
Just got ours tonight, Jack.

A few pics and observations to follow tomorrow morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.