Questions on Integrated Hands-Free Phone - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2001, 03:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Peter

Questions on Integrated Hands-Free Phone

I'm a new owner of a 1998 ML320 with integrated audio / hands-free Motorola phone. Vehicle was imported to Russia from Canada, and came with no instructions on audio system use. In Russia, there's no user support that I can find. Been trying already for days to determine how to use hands-free functions on phone.<br> My questions:<br> 1) Is integrated phone 'AMPS' standard? If I change handset to DAMPS standard (more common in Russia), will I still be able to use integrated options?<br> 2) How do I place a call using hands-free? (that is, using dashboard buttons with Motorola handset in armrest cradle) I can hear the cell company provider through the handset speaker, but cannot switch sound to car audio speakers.<br> 3) Tried several handsets in place of the Motorola set, and have pushed all kinds of buttons not knowing what would happen. Could this have 'locked' the hands-free option? - maybe as part of an anti-theft system?<br> 4) Is there a GSM standard phone that could be used in place of the Motorola phone? still letting me use the integrated hands-free features? (GSM is most common standard in Russia.)<br> Even more:<br> I don't really need cell-phone access in my car, but like the convenience of a phone that's handy and already 'on' when I start the engine. I'm looking for the easiest solution!<br> Thank you,<br> Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2001, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Jeff

Re: Questions on Integrated Hands-Free Phone

You may be out of luck with the current phone. In the US (and I assume all of North America), you have choice between a TDMA or CDMA tri-mode phone (AMPS comes for free). If there is a GSM-based system for NA it won't work other places because we use 1900MHz and the rest of the world uses 900MHz (if I remember correctly). You'll probably have to talk to a local dealer (or MB directly) to get a GSM phone (or D-AMPS if it exists). Note that non-MB phones will not work in the system (although you can probably still use the charger).<br> <br> Assuming you've got an MCS-based system from Canada (not a Command system), placing a call should be pretty easy. Hit the 'Tel' button on the MCS. In the upper right of the screen, you should see a signal strength indicator. If not, you probably can't get the right kind of cell phone signal. Now dial the number and hit the green 'Send' button. To hang up, hit 'End.' You may have some problems because of the foriegn phone, try using the country code as well as the full phone number. Of course, you'll have to have a service to go along with the phone (which you'll probably want to change to a local service before incurring some hefty roaming charges!). <br> <br> Hope I've helped.
Old 12-10-2001, 07:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
JohnN

Jeff-<br> <br> I'm pretty sure that the 98's didn't come with the MCS - thought that was MY2000 and above.<br> <br> I'm sure that if I'm off base, Drew will jump in and correct me..<br> <br> <br> <ul><hr><i>Originally posted by Jeff</i><br><br><b>You may be out of luck with the current phone. In the US (and I assume all of North America), you have choice between a TDMA or CDMA tri-mode phone (AMPS comes for free). If there is a GSM-based system for NA it won't work other places because we use 1900MHz and the rest of the world uses 900MHz (if I remember correctly). You'll probably have to talk to a local dealer (or MB directly) to get a GSM phone (or D-AMPS if it exists). Note that non-MB phones will not work in the system (although you can probably still use the charger).<br> <br> Assuming you've got an MCS-based system from Canada (not a Command system), placing a call should be pretty easy. Hit the 'Tel' button on the MCS. In the upper right of the screen, you should see a signal strength indicator. If not, you probably can't get the right kind of cell phone signal. Now dial the number and hit the green 'Send' button. To hang up, hit 'End.' You may have some problems because of the foriegn phone, try using the country code as well as the full phone number. Of course, you'll have to have a service to go along with the phone (which you'll probably want to change to a local service before incurring some hefty roaming charges!). <br> <br> Hope I've helped.</b><hr></ul>
Old 12-10-2001, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Arnold

Peter,<br>
Check out Voicestream. They have GSM and triband phones with int'l coverage including Russia. Go to their website, www.voicestream.com and look for world class roaming.<br>
Arnold
Old 12-10-2001, 08:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
sosh

The phone in the 98 ML320's were analog phones and the 98 did not have MCS. However, the 98 phones came with a dash unit that allowed you to answer, make calls to the numbers in the phone memory and, if you wanted to dial out you had to open the consol lid, and attempt to push the appropriate numbers on the phone key pad. I don't know if the analog phone is compatable with your cellular carrier's system. May not work at all. There was a function that you could recall on the phone keypad that allowed you to enable or disable the Hands free feature. Good Luck!!
Old 12-10-2001, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
lawrence romanosky

Hi, I noticed you had the voice activation on your ML 55. Can you tell me what exactly you can operate via voice? Do you know if you can operate the navigation system with voice prompts? Thanks in adavance.<br> <br> Regards, Lawrence.
Old 12-10-2001, 11:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Jeff

Voice Commands

The voice control system is fairly limited in some respects (especially the Navigation System). Here are some commands:<br> <br> Telephone:<br> Help<br> Enter unlock code<br> Dial number<br> Store name<br> Dial name (must enter name in seperate from phone book)<br> Redial<br> <br> Radio:<br> Help<br> Seek<br> Tune to station (one-oh-four-three tunes to 104.3)<br> FM/AM/Weatherband<br> Store Station<br> Select Station<br> <br> CD:<br> Help<br> CD number (CD four selects disc 4)<br> Next CD<br> Track number (track three selects track 3)<br> Next track<br> <br> Tape:<br> Help<br> Next track<br> Other side<br> Fast forward<br> Rewind<br> <br> Mode commands (selects the mode of operation for the MCS):<br> Telephone<br> Radio<br> CD<br> Tape<br> Navigation<br> <br> This is valid for the 2002 M-class models, but the manual is copyright 2000 and shows a CL-class in a picture so I assume it hasn't changed much.
Old 12-10-2001, 12:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
lawrence romanosky

Re: Voice Commands/thanks a lot n/m

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class