Feedback on Platinum Shield - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2001, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
SchneiderIS

Feedback on Platinum Shield

I am looking at some of the options for protection of the ML before I pick it up. Namely I like to do carpet protection but am not sure about the paint protection. Mostly I have found that just keeping the vehicle well cleaned and polished works best. The dealer has recommended a package that they sell (all dealerships do) called Platinum Shield by First Canadian.<br> <br> Has anyone got anything to say about this particular product? His claim is that it keeps the paint and carpet protected for the lifetime of the vehicle. The carpet protection is apparently not supposed to wash out with water like the 3M products do. The paint protection is supposed to smooth out the pores of the paint and make it as smooth as it can get as well as keeping dirt from getting into the pores.<br> <br> So any help!<br>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2001, 05:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Frank G

Re: Feedback on Platinum Shield

There are lots of so called 'Miracle' Paint and Upholstery products... most have made the dealers very rich... but here are my comments... if you are the type to never hand wax your car it might be better than nothing.... Let me say that even when a product 'Claims' to be 'for the life of the vehicle' or lasts 5 years.... the small print always says something different. In addition, you don't know who is really applying it.. is it a new person a real pro.. If you are purchasing a dark <br>
colored vehicle they may cause more damage than good..Swirls....Buffermarks...<br>
<br>
Keep the car clean with good products readily available at your local Auto Parts store or Even your local MB dealer if you want to pay a bit more. MB sells paint products as accessories... pick up an accessory catalog.<br>
<br>
Drew will perhaps give us a list and picts of the car care products he uses and keeps his ML in New Condition.<br>
<br>
As far a the Upholstery products... if you have a cloth interior I think products that have stain guard is a good thing... as far a the carpets are concerned a good layer of factory carpeted mats covered with the MB accessory rubber mats will likely be all that most need... if you have small kids constantly dropping their food into unprotected areas here are my thoughts... perhaps get the interior protection package (you could do this yourself with a couple of cans of 3M Stainguard) or better don't teach your kids that the ML is a place to eat... bad habits start early... ever not had food available when their use to having it... quite a pain... : )<br>
<br>
Good car care starts with the owner... hand waxing twice or more a year with a high quality product is in my opinion a better place to put your money... the interior product might be good if you are real messy and drop things outside the floor mat safety zones... What would make this decision is how much are they tacking on for this... $100 bucks or less do it... for more it is not worth it...<br>
<br>
I'm winding down... I have personally gone back to the dealers that slammed these additional dealer profit makers on friends and have gotten them to take off these charges all togeter... so perhaps you can find an in stock vehicle with the protection already on it and state 'hey I'm not interested in that junk' sell me the car for <br>
$500 over dealer cost and I'll take it.' Most dealers will not loose a deal over these additional profit makers...<br>
<br>
<br>
Old 12-06-2001, 05:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
JohnN

Don't do it.

Want to protect your car? Here you go:<br> <br> Get yourself a good synthetic protection system - like a Klasse or a Zaino. Clay the car first, using a system like Mother's Gold Clay System (you'll see a post exchange that Drew and I had - both of us have used this, with good results).<br> <br> Clay first - then apply the synthetic 'wax' (it's more of a sealant).<br> <br> For interiors - <a href='http://www.303products.com'>303 products</a> makes a great vinyl/leather/rubber protectant and fabric guard.<br> <br> Truth is - you'll have to repeat these steps every year. The elements take a toll - and if anyone had a real 'lifetime' solution - the OEMs would be using them.<br> <br> Use these products - and you'll get a great life out of your car. I used them on my Blazer - 190k+ miles, and it still looks pretty damn good, despite being a heavy duty vehicle (did contruction on two homes, towed a boat and went fishing numerous times, and hauled all kinds of crazy junk).
Old 12-06-2001, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
mischief

Don't get it from the dealer, the mark up is huge. The only thing you really need is the undercoating for the bottom of the car. Your car already comes from the factory equipped with the paint protectant. All you need to do is wax and buff the paint about every two months or so which is very hard to do in calgary. After about three years when this protective coating wears off, then spend the money to get it reapplied. This is what I was told by a friend of ours who owns an autobody. He gave me the name of a place that does undercoatings. I think we got ours done for $150 or so. Give me a call and I'll let you know the name of the place.
Old 12-06-2001, 08:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Frank G.

Re: You absolutely Don't need undercoating!!!

Sorry for the loud post but don't add any undercoating to your vehicle unless you have damage to the existing factory undercoating due to an accident - then only have an Authorized MB body shop do the repairs...<br>
<br>
The ML like most vehicles are protected by new technologies and are given the appropriate surface prep and rust treatment at the factory... If you add any undercoating and it blocks drainage holes or traps any moisture you will cause more problems and void your MB rust corrosion warranty.<br>
<br>
If you damage your vehicle or scrape the undercarriage offroading then have those areas attended to accordingly... of course if you only plan to keep the vehicle a few years you can do as you wish and leave potential problem for the next owner...<br>
<br>
The best protection is careful maintenance... after driving in caustic/salt conditions wash the undercarriage... some have used automatic lawn watering devices to aid in this... simply place under vehicle and turn water on move a couple of times as necessary to completely clean undercarriage.<br>
<br>
Just my 2 cents.... <br>
Old 12-06-2001, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
mischief

From my understanding the ML does NOT have the undercoating protection on it. Only the E, S, CL and I think the CLK classes have it from the factory. At least this was what it was in 2000.
Old 12-06-2001, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Drew

Nope, ML has it too.

Old 12-06-2001, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Frank G.

'The seams and underbody are coated with a viscous PVC sealant...' This is the undercoating...it will not allow water or salt... in to reach the metal surfaces unless compromised from damage.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
JohnT

I wax the ML 2x a yr (winter, summer) using the real Zymol (> $40), not from the general auto store, or Wal-Mart..... very happy with the product, be aware that this Zymol will take you extra effort to wax and polish.......
Old 12-07-2001, 05:40 AM   #10 (permalink)
JohnT

type www.zymol.com directly on your browser.......

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class