Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

bay area mechanic...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JimB 
#1 ·
my sa said im gonna need another set of brake rotors soon so i'm thinking of changing all four and upgrading the pads too. can anyone recommend a set? i know jerry at formymercedes has the porterfields but has anyone tried any of the others out there?

also, can anyone in the sf bay are recommend a good mechanic to do the job? dealer says $1600, i say "put down the crack pipe"...

#2 ·
my sa said im gonna need another set of brake rotors soon so i'm thinking of changing all four and upgrading the pads too. can anyone recommend a set? i know jerry at formymercedes has the porterfields but has anyone tried any of the others out there?

also, can anyone in the sf bay are recommend a good mechanic to do the job? dealer says $1600, i say "put down the crack pipe"...
Hmmm... stock ML430 rotors are generally Brembo, so I would stick with those.

A lot of forum readers have good luck with Porterfields, but I seem to be the dissenter here. They stop fine. They seem to dust nearly as much as my OEM pads on the AMG cars. On my ML, the pad was a tad bit larger than the OEM one so the pad would not fit into the grooves in the worn rotor. Result: the ML had very little braking power. If you are changing to a new rotor at the same time as the pads, this probably won't occur. On the rear, Textar pads were a lot cheaper than the ones at the dealer (Textar makes other OEM pads for Mercedes, but my ML OEM was Brembo). Also, I mailed Jerry several times with a question on his x-drilled rotors and he didn't answer... so I eventually went elsewhere.

A San Jose independent guy can do your brakes. You may want to ask one I know... e-mail tp@jrentech.net for more info.

-s-

#3 ·
thanks scorchie

pete f (an x-member) emailed me a while back with a link to german star. he said they had the best prices for an oem setup. im also looking for some cross drilled ones but could only find slotted ones. i think jeff (jbowers) has them on his 55, but if i remember right, he got them from jerry way back.

lemme know if you find any of the cross ones, those are my first choice. in the meantime, i'm call that mechanic.

#4 ·
Troy, try this site...

you may find whatyou looking for:

http://www.bimmertoys.com/xcart/customer/oemparts.php

It's not only for bimmer, whatit said on site.[;)]

#5 ·
Have you tried "Mercedes ONLY" in Fremont Yet?

can anyone in the sf bay are recommend a good mechanic to do the job? dealer says $1600, i say "put down the crack pipe"...
I took my wife's '99 ML320 there for A-Service this moring. They charged me $225 for this. Its labor rate is $95/hour. They will also fix the driver side door lock actuator/module. I use 1SourceWarranty.com.

Its phone number is 510-490-2723 (40863 Albrae St. Fremont, CA 94538). It's between (Fremont) AutoMall and Newwark Mall.

#7 ·
I'm not sure:) because....

When I'm doing a DIY project, I'm not really concern, How long I do it as long as I did it right..Mine is 320 and yours is 430 that could have a little difference in procedure, and you can easily follow Pete F. instruction How to Change Brake and Rotor.[:)][;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.