Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What is the longest that you have towed with your ML?

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  bkerkhof 
#1 ·
I am considering towing a 1985 Mercedes 190E from florida to Cleveland(1100 miles). Any things that I should consider, or look out for. Can the ML 430 handle this without sweating?[8)]

[?]Uhaul dolly
[?]Uhaul trailor

#2 ·
Over 800 miles round trip

I towed my Jet-ski from Vegas to San Diego, and around town during a long weekend. No problems at all. Check your tires, keep your right and steady speed. An ML430 should be able to do it without any sweat. Good luck, have a good trip and lots of patience, you'll get there sooner or later.

#3 ·
How long?

How about 30 feet long!

(Only 2000 pounds, though.)

I don't know if a trailer is better, but just keep an eye on your temp gauge if you are pulling big, long hills.

A 190 is what...3500 pounds? Well below the "rating" for the ML430 and hitch, but you will sure as heck know you are towing it.

If your trailer has a surge brake, it can fight against the car when you go over dips in the road, etc. It feels like towing someone behind your bike at the end of a rope on a skateboard.

I have made the trip up over Donner summit (Sierra Nevada) without a problem. 100 degrees in the valley, from 1200 to 7000 feet all up hill for 80 miles. If I put it in 3rd and floored it, I could go really fast and overheat the engine... so I kept it at the legal 55mph and relaxed.

Attachments

#4 ·
Aaaah yess, thats the pic i've been looking for! So whare are the specs of the boat? :)

#5 ·
Re: Aaaah yess, thats the pic i've been looking for! So whare are the specs of the boat?

So whare are the specs of the boat?
"Party of Five"

2003 Suntracker 200
Seating for 12 + 2 ( removable bow fishing chairs)
Double bimini top
Gas BBQ
Ice chest
Dual swim ladders
Live well
Garmin GPS
Depth/temp/fish finder/speedo
Dual main batteries w/ Perko switch
Instant mount 55lb thrust wireless remote MinnKota trolling motor
Dedicated trolling motor battery and circuit

75 HP 4 stroke mercury outboard

Top speed 27 mph (GPS measured)

The best part...

3 minutes and 45 seconds from my garage door, and always in the water.

[8D]

Attachments

#7 ·
Re: Well if you find a seriously tall hill, you can always try low range? Donner Summit a

Donner Summit at 80MPH towing a boat?
Just to be clear...

It would have blown the car up to maintain that speed. It was reving to 6000 rpm or something like that.

As I said, my boat and trailer are 2000 pounds, or so.

Based on that, I can't imagine towing something that weighs 5000 pounds.

[:)]

#8 ·
I betcha you coulda done it in fourth gear. Sounds like your ML was maybe at about 7000 l...

I betcha you coulda done it in fourth gear. Sounds like your ML was maybe at about 7000 lbs with boat and trailer. Still pretty damn impressive that you could even get 80. Ever try going up to Dante's Peak (Hill? something like that) in Death Valley? Pretty nice climb. Also, going from Reno towards Mt. Rose, pretty hard. Camry would only maintain about 60 at constant 4000-5000RPM. Oh well my dad said he wanted a 4 cyl...couldn't convince him to get a 6.

#9 ·
I pull a big pop up camper everywhere, and have taken some long trips. I am convinced t...

I pull a big pop up camper everywhere, and have taken some long trips. I am convinced that the 320 motor can tow almost anything.

Just ran into our first mechanical problem and I suspect that it is trailer related.

A bearing that supports the driveshaft broke apart. I figure that the tonque weight of the trailer puts more stress on the driveshaft and after 109,000 miles the support bearing failed. The car ran OK with no trailer, but with it on, it would barely move.

#10 ·
Re: Well if you find a seriously tall hill, you can always try low range? Donner Summit a

Well if you find a seriously tall hill, you can always try low range? Donner Summit at 80MPH towing a boat? I couldn't keep 80MPH with 4 people in our POS 1997 Camry 4cyl.
Just to be extra clear...

It is about 80 miles for the trip...I didn't go 80mph!

I was wondering where the 80mph came from...

I maybe pushed past 65-70 by flooring it.

[:D][:D][:D]

#11 ·
My longest tow is a 17 foot boat...

My longest tow is a 17 foot boat

Attachments

#12 ·
Re:
My longest tow is a 17 foot boat...

My longest tow is a 17 foot boat
No. It looks like your longest tow is the 20 foot trailer it is on.

[:D]

#13 ·
6.5 meters (including tongue)

All the way to Spain and back... (which is about 3,000km round-trip, including some nice climbs)

Length: approx. 6.5m including tongue.
Weight: 1.500kg
Engine temperature: about 10 degrees Celcius higher than without trailer.

Can easily attain a speed of 110 km/h on the highway (which feels as the optimum speed for my combination), with room to accelerate for overtaking.

I do have a diesel ML, so the engine is better suited for towing (ie: a lot of torque in the low revs), but I think your V8 should be able to handle that as well [:)]

cheers,
Bram

Attachments

#15 ·
Mileage....

I've seen hundreds of MLs on the road in the past two years, but only two in this colour (Jasper Blue)... When I ordered the ML, the salesman in the dealership inquired twice if I was certain about the colour [:p] Adds a touch of 'exclusivity' to my humble MB (and makes it especially easy to find on parking lots) [8D]

Without our trailer, I usually get about 750km (mostly highway) on a tank (11 liters/100km). With the trailer, that is reduced to 550km (15 liters/100km) also mostly highway). I'll leave it up to you to figure out the MPG [:D]

cheers,
Bram

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.