Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

NAV unit install on MY02

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  Darkmann 
#1 ·
After my VCP install my wife now wants me to put a NAV unit on the ML. I have a MY02 with no NAV unit. What do I need to do to have a NAV unit in there - how much, where to buy, is it a direct install or do I have to retrofit domething? Thanks for any info. BTW, I hate NAV units, on any car/truck/vehicle!!!!

#2 ·
After my VCP install my wife now wants me to put a NAV unit on the ML. I have a MY02 with no NAV unit. What do I need to do to have a NAV unit in there - how much, where to buy, is it a direct install or do I have to retrofit domething? Thanks for any info. BTW, I hate NAV units, on any car/truck/vehicle!!!!
I won't go into the nav upgrade because it has been covered here, WAY TOO MUCH.

However, you hate nav on any vehicle? I don't think shipments would arrive if those ships didn't have nav... your crude oil wouldn't be here... gas prices would shoot up... 747s would have to swoop down to read city names on water towers... rockets wouldn't get into orbit, thus making communications over landlines only... etc.

I'm glad other people like nav. :)

-s-

#3 ·
Well, OK, on passnger cars and SUV's, etc. I just don't see their

usefullness at the price - we lived quite well without them and I still think that planning ahead for a trip saves one a lot of trouble.

Anyway SmartAlec, so where do I get the info on NAV unit installation on my MY02?

#4 ·
Re: Well, OK, on passnger cars and SUV's, etc. I just don't see their

usefullness at the price - we lived quite well without them and I still think that planning ahead for a trip saves one a lot of trouble.

Anyway SmartAlec, so where do I get the info on NAV unit installation on my MY02?
Try "Search This Forum" in the list of options on your screen... then enter "MCS" or "COMAND" or even both!

You've gotten up to near 800 posts and still never used that? [;)]

-s-

#5 ·
That's what I thought as well...

Until I installed mine. While it still makes sense to have a good paper map around, I think that the Nav system takes a lot of the stress out of the situation (as well as increasing safety) since you don't have to keep referring to the map while driving. This is quite important if one commutes alone. I have found it extremely useful for guiding me around traffic jams, along the backroads.

Use the "Search this forum" feature, or you can refer to Benza's publication. All you'll need is the DVD Nav drive and disc (which you can get from formymercedes.com, for example, for US$1475). You'll need to remove the MCS for the install of course, which is locked into place. E-mail me at mklasse@benzworld.org [:)]

Note that you'll need to stop by your dealer to get them to version code the AAM for the Nav system (to enable the voice prompts).

#6 ·
NAV Install

There is a lot of information available in prior posts. I have a 2001 ML320 and recently purchased a nav cd-rom drive on ebay. Just search under "ML Navigation" and you will find several for sale. I paid $620.00 for a new unit. Installation is easy. Lots of instructions available at this site. My install has bogged down because I need additional cables and a splitter that need to be installed under the seat. I'm told that the 2002 Model is plug and play, all cables etc are installed.

You may want to consider installing a DVD version in your car. It uses on DVD for the whole country where the CD version needs 10 CDs. I have not seen a DVD version for sale on E-Bay. Go to Navtech.com to see what part of the country is covered by which CD. If you are in an area that is on the border of one of the CDs I could see complications with trip planning using the CD version.

Good Luck

Jeff

#7 ·
Scorchie pal, why would I make a request w/out "search"ing first???

For some unknown reason, search returns <a href="http://www.benzworld.org/search">this</a> - that's that stupid File Cannot be found message, just in case!!! And this is not the only computer I've tried this on. Could it be that something in my preferences is set wrong? It used to work before we switched to benzworld.org!!!

#9 ·
You're clicking in the wrong place...

For some unknown reason, search returns <a href="http://www.benzworld.org/search">this</a> - that's that stupid File Cannot be found message, just in case!!! And this is not the only computer I've tried this on. Could it be that something in my preferences is set wrong? It used to work before we switched to benzworld.org!!!
You want to click the "Search this forum" link instead:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/search.asp?id=21

#12 ·
Now I see it. It's located at the "Opening" page of the forums

link. That's why I never see it. So what's the global "search" for? - the one that appears permanently on all pages? Can the "Search this Forum" softkey be made to appear on all pages also?

#13 ·
Re: Now I see it. It's located at the "Opening" page of the forums

link. That's why I never see it. So what's the global "search" for? - the one that appears permanently on all pages? Can the "Search this Forum" softkey be made to appear on all pages also?
Sorry, I was trying to send you to that search link instead of the broken one! I'll be more specific next time!

-s-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.