How to check transmission fluid - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2003, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 2003 ML500 & 2003 CLK500
How to check transmission fluid

How can I check my transmission fluid at home? If they can do it at the dealership, we should be able to do it also, even if it requires a special tool. Has anybody done this before?
Thanks, as always...
ScubaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2003, 08:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Date registered: Jul 2002
Vehicle: '00 ML320 Elegance
They change check...

Quote:
How can I check my transmission fluid at home? If they can do it at the dealership, we should be able to do it also, even if it requires a special tool. Has anybody done this before?
Thanks, as always...
the tranny fluid condition and level using the Star Diagnosis computer system. No need for a special tool. [:)]
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: '05 ML350SE
I don't think this is quite correct. While it is true that the tranny has an

oil quality sensor similar to what is in the engine sump, nobody seems to know what the numbers mean. That is the readout is not calibrated but only relative. Second, I don't recall a fluid level sensor in the tranny.

For DIY, you can buy a dip stick for about $30 and a new locking pin for about $1. That is the existing cover has a locking pin which must be broken to remove. You can get these from ***************** as well as other online sites.
'02 ML320 traded @45k miles for---
'05 ML350SE now at 112k miles
mickey.1430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Date registered: Jul 2002
Vehicle: '00 ML320 Elegance
Didn't someone mention that...

Quote:
oil quality sensor similar to what is in the engine sump, nobody seems to know what the numbers mean. That is the readout is not calibrated but only relative. Second, I don't recall a fluid level sensor in the tranny.
There were two sensors, one for oil quality and the other for the level? I was told that they use Dextron-4. I'll see what I can find out about the numbers one of these days. [8D]
Drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 09:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2003
Vehicle: 1998 ML320
Re: I don't think this is quite correct. While it is true that the tranny has an

Quote:

For DIY, you can buy a dip stick for about $30 and a new locking pin for about $1. That is the existing cover has a locking pin which must be broken to remove. You can get these from ***************** as well as other online sites.
I've asked the Service Advisor at the dealership about the transmission fluid. They said that it is covered under MB for regular filling and replacement for the life of the vehicle. But, if I wanted to do it myself, how often should the transmission fluid be replaced? and is it difficult to do?
Old 05-19-2003, 10:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

MB uses a synthetic tranny fluid made by Shell of FROG and there

is no equivalent. As far as the quality sensor, we went through this with Frank on Ken's forum.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2003
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/diagnostic.html Amazing!!!! ...

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/diagnostic.html

Amazing!!!!
pjturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 11:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Filled for life mean 100k miles. That is what the techs are told

(but forget) and that is what was written in MBCA pubs. Somewhere between 60k and 100k miles lies the change point, according to some folks. As to DIY, go to *****************, M-class forum, and search for 'transmission fluid'. You will find lots of comments on upgrades etc as well as tranny fluid issues. On this forum taboo has done some tranny changes and may act as a resource for you.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2002
Vehicle: 2003 ML500 & 2003 CLK500
Re: Didn't someone mention that...

Quote:
Quote:
There were two sensors, one for oil quality and the other for the level? I was told that they use Dextron-4. I'll see what I can find out about the numbers one of these days. [8D]
Am I an idiot, or haven't I looked in the right place? What readout are you referring to? (I've got a 1999 ML320).
Thanks for all the info.

ScubaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2003, 09:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Mickey is on the right track....

http://www.saveonautoparts.com/catalog/european/tranny

The transmission dipstick hole is protected by a cover, that is locked using a locking pin, the pin can be black or red color.. you have to destroy the locking pin first to remove the dipstick cover. After that, the stick is measured while the engine is at operating temperature (hot), and at cold temperature, so you have to measure twice because there are two measurements on the stick.. And only use Mercedes-Benz Transmission "Sythentic" Fluid, NOTHING else.. they are $25 canadian a quarts. your car uses 8.5 quarts) Reason why MB didn't include a stick? Because your transmission fluid will last you a lifetime, no need to change it! I changed mines at 90,000 kms because I love my transmision heheh, I sell the ML transmission test kit, comes with dipstick, 5 locking pins, and the complete instructions (as you can see from the picture) from the tech book.

Steven
www.saveonautoparts.com

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class