Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Man was I Irrate today at a MB Dealer - long but enjoyable read!!!

804 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Daniel 
#1 ·
I was in DC today and for work and on my way back decided to stop at MB of Annappollis to request WIS information to install my VES (it arrived a couple of days ago). Now, this is after I called MBUSA to inquire about MY2002 installation instructions and MBUSA adviced me to stop at ANY MB dealer to get the docs. After a bit of runaround, the guy at parts told me that my best chance was to ask the service people to get the shop foreman to get me the instructions. And so that's what I did. The first service guy passed me onto another (he doesn't have any idea what I was taliking about was his explanation!!!!!!!!!!!). Then the second guy goes through a prolonged explanation about how they don't keep any documents, blah! blah!! blah!!! Man, all I want are is the shop foreman, dude!!! So he starts doubting my mechanical abilities and making comments about how it takes their tech 8hrs+ to have it installed!!! All I want is the shop foreman, Doh!!! So finally, he gets the shop foreman (Marty Smith) and it took Marty a millisecond torecognize what I was looking for. Marty didn't only give me the MY02 pertinent instructions, but he took time to photocopy the entire instruction set for me - that was really nice. Meanwhile this idiot at the service desk continues to harrass me about my abilities to handle the task - he doesn't even know me, he's never seen me before, he doesn't know my abilities - and all he does is tell me that if I bring my truck back with everything ripped apart he's going to charge me double!!! What the fu$%. Man was I irrate. All I asked him was to talk to the shop foreman. How bad a request is that??? anyway, I reminded him that he didn't know me nor did he know my backgroung, and that it's my truck and my money anyway, so get off my case.

Anyway, when I have it all done, I'll take time to drive there and invite him to come into my truck and take a look!!! What a fuc7*&^% jerk. And he didn't stop!!! "He's seen this situation a bunch of times, etc, etc, etc". If the shop foreman hadn't been so nice I'd have blown up. After all. MBUSA sent me to them. Gosh, was I boiling.

Anyway, I have all the instructions and parts and I'm pressed for time since I need this done b4 I head for vacation mid may. I want to do it myself but Circuit city says they can do it for approximately $250 (final estimate is based on them seeing all parts and instructions, ofcourse). Given my time constraint, I'm tempted to go with Circuit city - and they've installed a stereo for me once and they do the roof mount installation regularly on other vehicles. Anyway, do I go Circuit city oir do I take my time and do it myself, given my time constraint??? INPUT, I NEED INPUT folks. Thanks. Man, am I still irrate!!!!!

See less See more
#3 ·
DIY, since you will be on vacation, you can take your time to do it;-)

Good luck[;)]

#4 ·
D-do it yourself! Paul's superb publication + MB's instructions I think would suffice for the job.

On a different perspective however, if you go the other way, they can probably get it done in a days work AND you can always blame them (the installers)if something goes wrong. [;)]

#6 ·
Although

Three good quality outfits for your kids in the best style worn by Hannibal Lechter during his incarceration (including face masks) would do the trick and might prove cheaper than a VES.

Also, these can be used outside the car!

Got one for my son, it's perfect, I only take it off his face when my wife prepares her specialty, liver with fava beans, that's I open a good bottle of chianti, although I tend to prefer the strength of a Barollo (what was Hannibal thinking, that's an obvious mistake!).

We do have a VES, but it's for the driver's enjoyment's only.

#7 ·
After doing this myself, I will not trust it to a shop that does not have experience with ...

After doing this myself, I will not trust it to a shop that does not have experience with MB vehicles. You have to be very careful with the trim and wood not to scratch / dirty anything, and you have to replace the clips that holds the trim together, to get everything back tight.

OTOH, if you've had good experience with the installer, go for it. I would just make sure that they will fix any problems afterwards...

BTW, in what area do you live?

#8 ·
Daniel, I'm in Salisbury, MD on the eastern shore. I'll do it myself.

How far are you? maybe if you're not too far we can do it together, or I can bring it to your place along with a 12 pack of Grolsch!!

#9 ·
We're on the other side of DC, in Richmond. You should be fine if you follow the instruct...

We're on the other side of DC, in Richmond. You should be fine if you follow the instructions and look at the pics that Paul posted. Any clips or handles that give you trouble, can be replaced after you have done the install, without any worries.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.