Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

A whining noise.................

18K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  oreif 
#1 ·
l have heard this whining noise coming from my 99 ML 430, for the last three days..and l can't figure it out...l really hear it when l am coasting to a red light or stop sign before applying the brakes....Any ideas???????????Does this sound familiar to anyone??

#2 ·
That sounds like a transmission noise to me.

I assume you are off the throttle at thi...

I assume you are off the throttle at this time. Are you accelerating just before this happens?

#4 ·
Re: That sounds like a transmission noise to me. I assume you are off the throttle at thi

I assume you are off the throttle at this time. Are you accelerating just before this happens?
l don't hear it as much when l am accelerating ,but when l remove my foot from the throttle to coast to a light l really hear it????

#5 ·
Re: Re: That sounds like a transmission noise to me. I assume you are off the throttle at thi

l don't hear it as much when l am accelerating ,but when l remove my foot from the throttle to coast to a light l really hear it????
You shouldn't hear it when accelearting, just when you take your foot off of the throttle.

You are reducing the load on the transmission, slowing down, which can sometimes cause gear whine. Similar to revving too high in a manual, not shifting, getting off the throttle, then coasting to a stop.

How long since you had the trans serviced?

#7 ·
same here

Had the same noise for the last two days. REALLY annoying and, no, it isn't the wife.

The whine is pronounced when coasting from below 40mph and/or 2000 RPM. Don't lower the windows, the noise will cover up the whine. BTDT.

Tranny fluid was changed by a MB dealer approx 1000 miles ago.

126K on the ticker FWIW.

In digging up on this earlier today, someone mentioned a worn out rubber bushing may be the culprit(dont have the data in front of me, sorry)

Up on jackstands for a look-see this weekend.

FR

#8 ·
Re: Re: Re: That sounds like a transmission noise to me. I assume you are off the throttle at

You shouldn't hear it when accelearting, just when you take your foot off of the throttle.

You are reducing the load on the transmission, slowing down, which can sometimes cause gear whine. Similar to revving too high in a manual, not shifting, getting off the throttle, then coasting to a stop.

How long since you had the trans serviced?
l have 90,000 kilometres on the ML, and have not had the tranny serviced....l guess it might be time to change the tranny fluid....l don't like the fact that l am not able to check for myself with a dipstick....not a good system....

#9 ·
l have heard this whining noise coming from my 99 ML 430, for the last three days..and l can't figure it out...l really hear it when l am coasting to a red light or stop sign before applying the brakes....Any ideas???????????Does this sound familiar to anyone??
I just had the Driveshaft bearing replaced, a grinding noise only when driving slow. 600.00 later it is fine.

#10 ·
Re: Re: A whining noise.................

I just had the Driveshaft bearing replaced, a grinding noise only when driving slow. 600.00 later it is fine.
You are correct Jmarenas....l brought the ML in today, and the technician instantly knew that it was the Driveshaft bearing....When the engine is cold, it's hard to hear the whining, but as the engine warms, you really hear it...no big deal, it was under the 5 Year 120,000 KM Powertrain warranty...

#11 ·
Re: Re: Re: A whining noise.................

You are correct Jmarenas....l brought the ML in today, and the technician instantly knew that it was the Driveshaft bearing....When the engine is cold, it's hard to hear the whining, but as the engine warms, you really hear it...no big deal, it was under the 5 Year 120,000 KM Powertrain warranty...
I have 105,000 miles on mine Thus NO luck on the powertrain warranty. Glad I could Help ya. John

#12 ·
Re: Whining noise.................

[/quote]You are correct Jmarenas....l brought the ML in today, and the technician instantly knew that it was the Driveshaft bearing....When the engine is cold, it's hard to hear the whining, but as the engine warms, you really hear it...no big deal, it was under the 5 Year 120,000 KM Powertrain warranty...
[/quote]

Just brought mine in this morning for the same problem. Whining between 30 and 50 km/h. Driveshaft bearing was replaced and I scored all new wiper blades under the 2-year/24K warranty. S.A. said they keep the bearings in stock.....wonder why?

#14 ·
You are oh!!! so right, "Chuckster"......My "Lovely", never lets me live it down......Our next vehicle purchase, she wants to be completely involved....[:0]And by the way...The OEM VES is on hold, till this ML starts to behave!!!!News at 11....."No!!Honey..l'm not on the forum"......

#15 ·
jmarenas - 12/30/2003 1:39 PM

Just one more 30 dollar part that leads to Hundreds in Labor to fix. Typical Benz....[:(!]
Get over it. Go buy a Tahoe. Then you will get to fix the same $30 part over and over again, negating any cost savings you thought you had.[:p]

or...

go buy the extended warranty for it. I am covered until March 2009 or 160,000km.

#16 ·
Had a Tahoe, Suburban, Benz Wagon,S Class, E-Class, Blazer, and a host of others, You certainly can dish it out in the Tahoe/Suburban, but not much respect at time of trade in, too many are out there. I am not whining about my ML, I expected more from Benz than this truck. Best part is the handling, nice compermise between a truck and a car...MY True love is attached MY 911![8D] Low, Fast, and takes all the curve I can throw at it.......

Attachments

#17 ·
I know what you mean. The ML is not a true Benz and does not follow true Benz build standards, ie. light switch.

Hopefully the W164 will be a true Benz and have the proper placement of switches.

Everything that has gone wrong in our ML has been fixed under warranty and we always get a Benz service vehicle to drive, no matter what. I will always buy Benz, but the next one will probably be diesel.

As long as they make it in the spec I want, E320CDI wagon or ML400CDI. Or any of the new hybrids.

BTW, I love the 911. True classic.

#18 ·
Driveshaft bearing, same thing happened to me today. I had though it was a wheel bearing, thats what one mechanic told me.

Catastrophic failure on the Parkway this afternoon, $89 tow and $289 at a local independent shop later the truck is back in my driveway.

Not too horrible but not the way to start off 2004 in the ML...

#19 ·
@TheWheel - 1/2/2004 5:44 PM

Driveshaft bearing, same thing happened to me today. I had though it was a wheel bearing, thats what one mechanic told me.

Catastrophic failure on the Parkway this afternoon, $89 tow and $289 at a local independent shop later the truck is back in my driveway.

Not too horrible but not the way to start off 2004 in the ML...
Why didn't you call roadside assistance? It would have been a warranty item.

#21 ·
hey mouse, saw where your revived this orig post from 6+ years back:D but I am curious:confused: do you hear a whine? is it with or without the window down. AC on or not, I can tell you (esp when not on AND window down) the 'whine' will become prominent when you are at lights/stops/etc. look @ temp guage. when it creeps above 80 for a few points it 'sounds' to me like the air injection pump system (as with startup to burn on the cats) cranks up. it's natural in this state. granted this post was from '03 but haven't replaced any seals thus far.:surrender: get basic before you get scared:rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.