Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How to turn on rear fog light?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
For 2003 ML, how to turn on rear fog light?

I followed the user's manaul step by step, the front fog light works as expected, but the rear fog light never on. Is there any dealer turn on option?

Thanks

#3 ·
I tried that. The little yellow light in the dash switch is on, but the rear fog light sti...

I tried that. The little yellow light in the dash switch is on, but the rear fog light still not on. I turned the main light switch to low/high beam while I did that.

Help please.

#6 ·
Did you turn on the headlamps?

For 2003 ML, how to turn on rear fog light?

I followed the user's manaul step by step, the front fog light works as expected, but the rear fog light never on. Is there any dealer turn on option?

Thanks
The headlamps have to be turned on (not the "Auto" position) before you can use the rear foglamp switch. Press the bottom half of the switch, not the top half. You may want to have someone do this for you whilst you stand outside the ML to see the difference.

#7 ·
Thanks, Drew

I turned on the light to low/high beam (not auto), press the lower part of the button, the little yellow indicator on the button is on as said in the manaul. Then go to the car rear side, only the red tail lights are on. I did that in the night.

The front fog light works fine.

I will call the service tomorrow.

#8 ·
The rear foglamp...

I turned on the light to low/high beam (not auto), press the lower part of the button, the little yellow indicator on the button is on as said in the manaul. Then go to the car rear side, only the red tail lights are on. I did that in the night.

The front fog light works fine.

I will call the service tomorrow.
is simply a secondary element in the taillamp bulb on the driver's side. That's why I suggeste having someone turn it on for you while you wait outside, as it may not be very obvious. [:)]

#9 ·
OK drew. I got it.

I thought the rear fog light is white. After a trip to garage, without the rerfog light, the tail light are same brighter on both sides. With the rear fog light turn on, the drive side tail light is brighter than passenger side. You saved my one trip to dealer and I'm sure I will look very stupid if I do that tomorrow.

Thanks

#10 ·
Yes, you got it!...

I thought the rear fog light is white. After a trip to garage, without the rerfog light, the tail light are same brighter on both sides. With the rear fog light turn on, the drive side tail light is brighter than passenger side. You saved my one trip to dealer and I'm sure I will look very stupid if I do that tomorrow.

Thanks
They cannot have a white rear foglamp because it would be too close to a reverse lamp. Additionally, the human eye is more sensitive towards that part of the spectrum and it will cause irritation and problems with night vision (e.g. white spot in your vision after being exposed to a bright light). Red on the other hand, is on the opposite end [:)]

As a result of my parking lamp LED bulbs, my taillamps are running at full intensity at all times, eliminating the need for the rear foglamp. Have a look at my comparison picture below; my ML is on the right - the parking lamps are almost as bright as brake lamps [:)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.