Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

speeding ticket

1K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  BRABUS ML 
#1 ·
i recently got a speeding ticket and i'm trying to figure out the best way to lessen the fine or points. he officer said i was going 65 in a 45 zone (night, light traffic) but i believed i was going at 55 mph...he did this by pace and i'd like to go to court but i'm not quite sure what i can argue...so just wondering if anyone can help

#2 ·
Was he actually using a radar/laser gun or did he just think you were doing at least 65?

Was he actually using a radar/laser gun or did he just think you were doing at least 65?

I think if you go to court and plead guilty to do ing 55, you might get off with almost nothing.

Or you could completely try and fight it since he wasn't using any measuring equipment.

But, usually if you own up to the speeding, you will get off without points.

But I think this belongs in the "W187 - How to get out of tickets forum".

#4 ·
That is still not an accurate method, since tire pressure, tread wear, corners, can all ch...

That is still not an accurate method, since tire pressure, tread wear, corners, can all change the speedometer reading.

You should just go to court, plead guilty for speeding, but not the 65 mph.

#5 ·
Oh yes, very accurate if he was pacing you. That means he was either in an unmarked vehicle

keeping a "constant" distance behind you for several miles (1-2) or in a cruiser (not usually 'cause they get noticed quickly). If he was behind you and his speedo showed 65 and he couldn't get past you after 2 miles, you were definitely doing over 55. The judge will assume (right or wrong) that the officer is not lying - and why would he if you're not black or hispanic in a Benz!!! Now if you say you were doing 55, you're automatically lying and you'll get nailed. Plead something like you weren't doing this intentionally and that it's a big mistake that'll never happen again and that you're sorry and that you really don't want this to mar your records. If you have a clean record, you'll probably get a warning, otherwise you'll be fined and pointed.

#6 ·
Re: Oh yes, very accurate if he was pacing you. That means he was either in an unmarked vehic

keeping a "constant" distance behind you for several miles (1-2) or in a cruiser (not usually 'cause they get noticed quickly). If he was behind you and his speedo showed 65 and he couldn't get past you after 2 miles, you were definitely doing over 55. The judge will assume (right or wrong) that the officer is not lying - and why would he if you're not black or hispanic in a Benz!!! Now if you say you were doing 55, you're automatically lying and you'll get nailed. Plead something like you weren't doing this intentionally and that it's a big mistake that'll never happen again and that you're sorry and that you really don't want this to mar your records. If you have a clean record, you'll probably get a warning, otherwise you'll be fined and pointed.
Exactly.

#7 ·
had a close call myself this weekend

was on my way to bear mtn for some snowboarding when i had just merged to the car pool lane. at that point, i was going about 90mph. all the cars infront of my in the regular lanes were also going about that...time was about 7am.

on the far corner of my right eye i then noticed a CHP on a bike. i immediately took my foot off the accelerator and tapped the brakes to bring me somewhere about 80mph.

a second later, the cop flanked over to my passenger side real close, turned his head and shouted, "slow down". i gave him the 'ok' sign and soon after he flipped his lights on.

i was like wat the ?!he sped up and proceeded to pull over a dodge pick up some 3 car lengths ahead of me in the regular lane. boy. waws that somethin.

i grinned to my buddies and mantained a 'slower speed' to the mountain. =)

#10 ·
Speeding Ticket

A common way to get out of a speeding ticket is to request that the cops to provide the calibration certificate of the radar gun they used.

So, in your case, you may want to ask the cop for the written department procedures on how to "pace" a vehicle. Just a thought...

Good Luck!

#11 ·
Re: That is still not an accurate method, since tire pressure, tread wear, corners, can all ch

That is still not an accurate method, since tire pressure, tread wear, corners, can all change the speedometer reading.

You should just go to court, plead guilty for speeding, but not the 65 mph.
Plead guilty to a lesser charge...guilty to going @46 in a 45mph zone. Good Luck!

#12 ·
This should still result in a ticket/fine, but shouldn't result in any points.

This should still result in a ticket/fine, but shouldn't result in any points.

#13 ·
When you're speeding (actually I call it going faster) and you see a CHP/Police, never t...

When you're speeding (actually I call it going faster) and you see a CHP/Police, never tap or step on the brake. Just let go of the gas.

By tapping/stepping of the brake, kinda acknowledge your guilt.

Tony

#14 ·
well

yeah i guess.
but i figured. i either take longer to slow down from 90mph,
or i slow down now. =)

if he had paced me at 90 earlier. he could have given me a ticket anyways. i think he prob let me off cuz i DID slow down hehe..and the other trunk didn't.

dt77

#15 ·
I guess it doesn't matter cuz he let you pass.

Any way is good when you can get out...

I guess it doesn't matter cuz he let you pass.

Any way is good when you can get out of a ticket.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.