Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

VSS question (2000 MCS)

2K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  Stewart 
#1 ·
OK, I have read all the posts on the NAV Retrofit (using a 2000 MCS) and viewed all the diagrams and hooked up the VSS using that info. The following PICS will show the VSS install to the MCS but the MCS is still unable to define vehicle position [:(]
Any Ideas?
Thanks!!
Benza

See less See more
#3 ·
OK, I have read all the posts on the NAV Retrofit (using a 2000 MCS) and viewed all the diagrams and hooked up the VSS using that info. The following PICS will show the VSS install to the MCS but the MCS is still unable to define vehicle position [:(]
Any Ideas?
Thanks!!
Benza
The MCS does not need VSS signal to give you the your current location. Only it need VSS signal to tell you turn by turn and when it lost track of satelites.
Also IIRC you only need to hook up to pin 1(the top left) only for the VSS signal.

Stewart, where are you? Benza need your help here.

Tony [:)]

#5 ·
The Navigation does point out my location however the arrow is usually pointed in the wron...

The Navigation does point out my location however the arrow is usually pointed in the wrong direction and moves backwards on the map. The sound prompts do not work either. I was under the impression that once the VSS wires were hooked up that everything would work. When I try to set an address to Navigate to, I get the following message, even though my location shows up on the map where ever I am.
Thanks! Any help you could give on VSS wiring would be great!!
Benza

#6 ·
Re: More PICS added

The green and white wire from the insertion harness go to the CAN-Bus adapter. Two wires from the CAN-Bus adapter go to pin 1 and pin 3 of the first connector in a 2000 MCS, so those are the correct pins.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/vss.html

#7 ·
Re: Re: More PICS added

The green and white wire from the insertion harness go to the CAN-Bus adapter. Two wires from the CAN-Bus adapter go to pin 1 and pin 3 of the first connector in a 2000 MCS, so those are the correct pins.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/vss.html
Wolfgang, do you have any idea as why this in not working?

#9 ·
Re: Benza,

I can't see the CAN-Bus adapter in your second picture. Are the white and green wires from the insertion harness going to the adapter, right?

And which pins on the adapter are connected to the white and green wires leading to the radio?
That must be the problem! I was under the impression that no adapter was needed with the USA MB part# Q6540010 and the wires leading from the insertion harness are leading straight to the MCS unit (no adapter) So I guess I will wait for the Adapter from Germany (which I hope to get this week) and try that.
Where will the adapter actually get placed in the ML?
Thanks Wolfgang!!

USA MB part# Q6540010

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.