Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MB installed v60 phone, which provider, Anyone have one?

499 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  sthu 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting a dealer installed phone on my 2003 ML500. Which provider? What are the good/bad aspects? Should I pop another 500 for the voice actified phone?

#2 ·
Just about any provider

Unfortuneatly I've heard that Sprint isn't available (since you're in KC). If they're anything like AT&T wireless they won't have coverage near you anyway (big dead spots near many AT&T buildings including HQ in Bedminster!). I've got Verizon and I've had good luck with them. AT&T is also good for world phones because I think they're GSM+TDMA (not sure about the MB v60, though). Talk to your dealer about the specific models available. You can even port over an existing cell number if you keep the same provider.

The good part about the MB phone is that you can see the caller ID on the MCS and it mutes the radio for you. The bad part is that it's ungodly expensive and doesn't display text messages/voicemail. If you're going to spend money on the phone, I'd get the voice recognition - it's really the best way to answer the phone even if you don't use the voice features.

Another option is to look in the publications section for Frank's tutorial on putting a third-party phone into his MB. It plays through the speakers and mutes the radio but that's it - for about $1000 less than what MB charges no doubt.

Finally, if you do install the v60 I'd have them put the cradle in the top-most compartment. They won't believe that it will fit so if you need pictures check out my gallery or I can try to dig up the post.

Hope I helped!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.